Suggestions for 28mm lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rich00, Jan 18, 2012.

1. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a 28mm lens that is sharp wide open ?

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    The Carl Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 with Contax/Yashica mount is sharp wide open, even the corners are adequately sharp for most purposes. If you're lucky to get a good sample, a Minolta MD W.Rokkor 28/2.8 can be reasonably sharp wide-open.

All other 28mm lenses I own are not too sharp wide-open and show more or less pronounced flare: Minolta 28/2 or 28/3.5 in any form and the Ricoh 28/2.8 PK-mount.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I find my Canon FD 28 f2.8 to pretty good, it is one of the newer ones so has the SSC coating(?) It produces fairly nice images and is great for video work.
  4. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    wait for the new sigma :)
  5. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for tip on sigma, however I link having an aperture ring and focus scale. I've some samples of the canon 28mm f2.8 and they pretty impressive so will give that go.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The Canon FDn 28/2.8 is quite sharp if a little CA prone, and can often be had very cheaply. This was the first legacy lens I used on my E-P1. I only really stopped using it when I bought a Canon 24/2.8 and Vivitar 24/2.8 because I preferred the slightly wider field of view.

Canon nFD 28mm f2.8 - a set on Flickr
  7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Another vote for the FD mount canon 28 2.8, so much so that I stopped looking for a 2.0 version.
  8. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I was going going through the image archives and saw your set and was pretty impressed. So definitely be getting the canon FD 28mm f2.8.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
  9. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The Nikkor 28mm F2 is sharp wide-open, uses a floating element for close-range-correction.
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Cheers and good luck with the Canon or whichever 28mm lens you decide to get. Further to Grinch's comment on the Canon 28/2, I don't really find that the extra cost compared to the 28/2.8 to be justified. The extra aperture blades make out-of-focus highlights smoother, and it is one stop faster, but I didn't find it to be any sharper than the 28/2.8.
  11. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    All my 28mm's range from OK to awful wide open and when stopped down to f5.6, they might be as good as the kit Oly 14-42. I have a Tamron F (OK), a Focal (mediocre) and two Vivitars (mediocre and awful). Perhaps a Canon FD or other name brand 28mm would be better.

I now think paying any more than lunch money for a legacy 28mm is kind of wasteful. Maybe that's why my motley collection of 28's is so poor. Three did cost less than a burger in a sit down eatery, but the Vivitar 28F2 cost me more than a nice steak ($45) and it performs like burnt toast. Forty bucks wasted to get F2.

I do have an OM 35m f28, and a Super-Tak 35mm f3.5. Of these two, the Tak is sharp wide open. Based on that, if I wanted to look for another old 28mm, I'd look into Takumars.

However, internet lore says the old wide angles bent the light in ways that was OK for film, but not so good for the microlenses on a silicon sensor. Maybe one should be saving money for a 20 or 25mm M43 lens.
  12. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Harrysue- the reason I want to go 28mm is to get a feel before taking plunge for the 25/1.4. Plus it gives me a chance to try a few lenses at no real cost, if I don't like the lens then I'll sell it. However point taken on trying to find that elusive 28mm. If the canon fd doesn't work out then I'll call it quits and save for the panny/Leica 25/1.4.

The vivitar 28mm 2.5 that I just received doesn't get sharp till around 4.6, the kit is better at this f-stop. However it's a nice looking lens and feels great to use but the IQ isn't there which is real shame.
  13. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    If you get an inexpensive CCTV 25/1.4 lens on eBay, it'll give you the exact angle of view and aperture, and you'll end up with a lens that may complement the Panasonic.
  14. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I just got the Nikkor 24/2.8 Pre-AI recently and find it as good as it's reputation. I use it as my "normal" lens on my E-PL1. The Nikkor 28/3.5 I have is ok, but the 24 is significantly better.
  15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    You can set your kit lens to 25mm and put a piece of tape on it. That's a real no cost way to get a feel for the focal length.

16. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011

This. I honestly don't understand why more people don't do this if they have a zoom. It would instantly cut down on the "would I like this lens's focal length?" questions that no one can really answer except for the person asking the question most of the time.
  17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm a big fan of the Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AIS. This version has the closest focusing of any Nikkor ever made. It only recently got best by the latest Nikkor 60mm Macro. It's sharp wide open and focuses down to .20cm. I just got one off ebay. I've seen them go anywhere from $150 to $240. It's very sharp wide open, has zero distortion and very neutral/realistic colors. I've compared it to modern 2.8 zooms and it's just as sharp. I've also compared it to the Nikkor 28mm f/2 and there is not much difference between the two in sharpness, but the 28 f/2 is much bigger and doesn't focus as close. It also looks good on an M43 camera! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  18. khiromu

khiromu New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2010
    If you can live with F3.5, my vote goes to Color Skopar 28mm. It's small and nice. But it is difficult to find one for reasonable price, these days.

19. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    :eek: About $20 for my Canon FDn 28/2.8 including shipping from the USA.
  20. mohawk51

mohawk51 New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2012
    28mm Lens

What Bryan S. said. The F2 is a magnificent lens. Great wide open and excellent as you stop down. Perfect near to infinity sharpness......