1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Suggestions / Comparisons on 14-140 and 14-150 lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dylanm, May 6, 2016.

1. dylanm

dylanm Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2016
    So I've been testing out the Olympus E-M10 for several months now and quite like it for some uses, particularly street and architecture. I currently only have the 14-42 3.5-5.6RII but would like to get a longer zoom for street photography. I feel I would like to keep a wide angle to avoid switching lenses often so I've been looking to some of the 14-140 and 14-150 options.

I am looking at
    Panasonic : LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. POWER O.I.S.
    Tamron : 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8
    OLYMPUS : M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-150mm F4.0-5.6
    M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-150mm F4.0-5.6 II

I think that's of them in this range. I am on quite the budget (and don't think I can sell the 14-42 for much at all) and I believe the original MZ 14-150 is the easiest to find cheap. I know the newer version has a better build but anything else? I like that the Panasonic and Tamron have 3.5 at the wide end but .5 isn't too much of a difference.

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The cheapest option is actually the older Panasonic 14-140 f/4.0-5.8. It's a bit bigger than the options, but still not too bad.

And the difference between the newer 14-140/150s and the original Pan 14-140 might leave room for a 14mm, 20mm, or Pan 12-32.

3. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    The difference between the Oly 14-150 vI and vII is minor. I use the vII because the weather seal is great for hiking. YMMV, the vI may be perfectly adequate for your use and is a bargain.

edit: Is the EM10 even weather sealed? if not, vI would be the obvious choice then.

4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I recently ended up getting the 14-150II refurb from Olympus with the 20% off April coupon. I had been monitoring the original one on ebay and it looks like they can be bought for under $200 used. According to most comparisons, the optical designs are identical and there are only small improvements in IQ in v2. The weathersealing may not matter to you since, like me, you have the E-M10. I did look at the original Panny since it can be had for really cheap, but it is 6 oz heavier than the Olys and that was a deal breaker.

I know you said that you want to avoid switching lenses, but a great budget option is to add the O40-150R which can be found under $100 and had really good IQ.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The original 14-140 (f5.8) is a bit heavier and fatter than the other ones, though. And for an all-in-one, carry everywhere kind of zoom that can be a big deal. But it is a very affordable option with good optics.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  6. dylanm

dylanm Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2016
    Yeah, the E-M10 is not weather sealed so I guess there is no reason to opt for the newer version of the 14-150 unless planning for upgrade, which I don't see happening for quite a bit. It will probably come down to what I can find the best deal on.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's kind of what I was going to suggest, since you mentioned budget.

These are going to be your cheapest options, used: Compact Camera Meter

14-140 f4-5.8 or Olympus 14-150 v1.

Total combo weight with the 14-140 5.8 is 860g vs 680g with the 14-150. So 35% heavier combo in use.

Both are good at wide angle, average in the mid range, but the Olympus is pretty weak in the telephoto range. Panasonic is better there.

TBH, if you are on a budget, picking up a cheap Olympus 40-150mm or Panasonic 45-150 and swapping lenses in the field is going to yield better images for less money. You can get a 40-150 for $100 new during certain sales, and under $100 used almost all of the time. IMO, the 45-150 is a tiny bit better, but you won't make use of the OIS so probably not worth the extra for Olympus cameras.

8. dylanm

dylanm Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2016
    Not a bad idea on compromising having to switch to save money. I just worry about missing shots, especially when doing street. Would the Panasonic 14-140 be good at tele? If i could find a good enough deal.

9. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Adorama currently has the P14-140 II with a $100 gift credit for $500. There's a promotion for a 3 year warranty so if you factor that in, the extra cost may be worth it. I ordered one and should have it next week.

I swore off superzooms in the past and have never owned one, but these days the only time I photograph is when traveling so I'm giving it a shot.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have had both versions of the 14-140mm. From the various lens tests it appears that the Mk II is slightly better but I can't say I have noticed it in my shooting. The big thing about the Mk II is that it is considerably lighter and slightly more compact than the Mk I. I am mostly a travel photographer and am fortunate to be able to pay the extra for the MK II without pain but, objectively, the price difference is a lot to pay just for a weight saving.

Both models are great lenses for travel and other shooting where opportunities are transient and/or lens changing is difficult or impossible. I only wish they were 12-140!

:confused-53: You swore off something you never owned ?!!!? I think you will find it to be a great travel lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I probably should've qualified that I owned semi-superzooms in the past (18-135, etc on APS-C DLSR) and I sold them off pretty quickly for primes and 2.8 zooms. Even before ordering the 14-140 I was debating whether to just pony up for the 12-40 instead, since I have an O40-150R sitting unused in the closet. But I ended up ordering the 14-140 instead because it was cheaper and lighter. Hopefully it'll change my perceptions :)

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I think you'll be pleased. I started out with the 14-45 and 45-200, traveling with one camera body. What I found was that changing lenses was a pain and cost me shots, plus (Murphy's Law) I always had the wrong lens on the camera. After one trip (Galapagos Islands) I sold the pair and bought the 14-1400mm MK I with money left over. I've never looked back. Now that I shoot two bodies it's possible that I could get by with those two lenses again but instead I always have the 14-140 (now Mk II) on one body and either the 9-18 or the 100-300 on the other. So I have a fantastic range easily at hand with no fiddling.

13. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    What's your (and by "your," I mean "anybody's") take on the difference between the Oly 14-150 and the Pana 14-140 mk II? I have the Oly and love it for a travel lens, but I'm sensing a certain lack of enthusiasm here for its image quality and am wondering if it would be worth the $$ to move to the Pana mk II.

ETA: All my camera bodies are Oly, so image stabilization isn't an issue for me.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The two are essentially the same weight so there's no motivator there. I'm shooting Panny bodies, so the 14-140 with OIS is better suited for me. As a result I didn't consider the Oly.

There's been some chatter in other threads about equipment being good enough. For my typical image use case, prints but not huge ones, Shutterfly photo books, online postings, etc. I think either the Oly or the Panny would be good enough. IMO it's only if you are printing beyond 16x20" or very heavily cropping that any possible small difference between the two would be worth worrying about.

15. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Have owned both Panny versions and the Olympus Mk2. My vote is for the P14-140 Mk2. Better IQ than others. Has OIS which would help if you ever use a Panny body. Would only recommend the O14-150 Mk2 IF weather sealing was important- and your current body isn't weather resistant.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dylanm

dylanm Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2016
    How much better is the Panasonic at the long end (image quality) than either Olympus though?

17. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Well, I received my P14-140 II yesterday but it's going back due to decentering at the wide end. Some reviews said the lens is as good as many kit zooms but I'm not seeing it in this copy. My O40-150R is sharper at the same apertures and focal lengths.

On top of that, I was disappointed by the cheap feel of the plastic and loose feeling parts of this matte black version. It feels like a larger version of the matte black P14-42 II, which is ok for a basic kit lens but not what I expected for a lens that retails for $700.

18. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    If you look at the curves, it appears that the Oly should be noticeably poorer. However, in viewing image samples, I wasn't able to really tell a difference. I think that for most uses you may have for a superzoom, you will find either of them are good enough.

Here is a not great shot which I took on my first day out with the lens. It was shot without much preparation and with S-AF. I don't think that the lens (or the camera) fell short in any way as compared to my ability and my technique.

E-M10 + O14-150II @ 150mm. 100% crop. Cross-posted from "Share Birds"

Startled Plover.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  19. dylanm

dylanm Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2016
    Anyone have thoughts on the Panasonic 45-200 f4-5.6? I've seen some decent deals on it as an alternative to the 40-150 maybe? If I decide to sacrifice having to switch lenses.

20. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Do some searching on the forum for views on the 45-200. I don't remember the details, but I did the research a couple of years ago and ended up choosing the 45-175 instead. As a matter of fact, I think I saw a negative comment about the 45-200 here within the last week or so -- might have been on the 45-175 thread.

Edited to add link: Panasonic 45-175mm f/4-5.6

I like my 45-175. For one thing, it doesn't extend like the Oly 40-150, so there's less to wobble. Not as inexpensive as the 40-150 f4-5.6, though.

Last edited: May 10, 2016