1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Suggestion on a fast legacy zoom to replace the 14-42 kit lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jambaj0e, Jul 4, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I do primarily model, fashion, and glamour photography and I usually shoot with my Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 and occasionally the 50mm f1.7.

I have problems indoors when I run out room to walk backward to "zoom out" whenever I want to get a full-length shot.

Is there a really good and fast legacy zoom lens that can pretty much replace the Panny or Olympus kit lens? Anything at or faster than f2. 8

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    think you will struggle to find anything as fast as 2.8 without spending a fortune.

My only recommendation would be the Zuiko ZD 12-60, which is 2.8 at the wide end. Its not cheap but is a very fine lens

There have been rumors that Panasonic have a micro 4/3 zoom of similar specs in the pipeline... but nothing announced or confirmed

good hunting

K

3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Good luck! :wink:

Legacy zooms I'm aware of (fast or slow) started at 28mm (56mm on our bodies).

You may wish to consider the Zuiko 4/3 zooms: 12-60 f2.8-4 and 14-35 f2. Big $$$! I think Panny and Sigma also have options.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Might be more cost effective to get a fast WA lens.

5. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Aren't the 4/3 lens really slow on auto focus though?

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yes the 4/3 lenses are slow to focus. You're doing studio shots though right? Since it's a controlled environment, you can just MF (not to mention, you're doing that already with your legacy lenses).

You want the 4/3 for the glass, not the molasses AF :tongue:

However for the prices of those lenses, you're probably better off with the 20mm or for $200 more the upcoming 25mm Panny Leica...

Edit: Addendum:

Since you're doing model/portraiture, depending on how much of the background you want, 20mm may be the widest you want to go due to distortion.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I cannot think or even imagine of legacy zoom glass in the arena of 14mm, unless it is from a non-35mm still camera source. Something maybe like a a movie camera ... good luck.

Gary

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.