Suggestion on a fast legacy zoom to replace the 14-42 kit lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jambaj0e, Jul 4, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I do primarily model, fashion, and glamour photography and I usually shoot with my Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 and occasionally the 50mm f1.7.

I have problems indoors when I run out room to walk backward to "zoom out" whenever I want to get a full-length shot.

Is there a really good and fast legacy zoom lens that can pretty much replace the Panny or Olympus kit lens? Anything at or faster than f2. 8
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    think you will struggle to find anything as fast as 2.8 without spending a fortune.

My only recommendation would be the Zuiko ZD 12-60, which is 2.8 at the wide end. Its not cheap but is a very fine lens

There have been rumors that Panasonic have a micro 4/3 zoom of similar specs in the pipeline... but nothing announced or confirmed

good hunting

3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Good luck! :wink:

Legacy zooms I'm aware of (fast or slow) started at 28mm (56mm on our bodies).

You may wish to consider the Zuiko 4/3 zooms: 12-60 f2.8-4 and 14-35 f2. Big $$$! I think Panny and Sigma also have options.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Might be more cost effective to get a fast WA lens.
  5. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Aren't the 4/3 lens really slow on auto focus though?
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yes the 4/3 lenses are slow to focus. You're doing studio shots though right? Since it's a controlled environment, you can just MF (not to mention, you're doing that already with your legacy lenses).

You want the 4/3 for the glass, not the molasses AF :tongue:

However for the prices of those lenses, you're probably better off with the 20mm or for $200 more the upcoming 25mm Panny Leica...

Edit: Addendum:

Since you're doing model/portraiture, depending on how much of the background you want, 20mm may be the widest you want to go due to distortion.
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I cannot think or even imagine of legacy zoom glass in the arena of 14mm, unless it is from a non-35mm still camera source. Something maybe like a a movie camera ... good luck.