Suggestion for limit on posts per page

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Australia is way behind on internet speed my personal max being 7kbs with an average of 4.8. Many pages take ages to load due to the high maximum amount of posts per page. With a thread such as "Your Top Five" which can contain 100 images, sometimes I simply have to go make a coffee while I wait for the page to load. It's another 6 months before the NBN arrives in my area and even then, we will still be behind other countries.

This problem could be alleviated by limiting the number of posts per page. I know the majority of members won't have this problem but POTN has a limit of 15 posts per page and I never experienced this problem when I was there. Even a reduction of 15 posts per page instead of 20 it seems, makes a huge difference.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This place is all about inclusiveness and I do see a number of folk on the site from your neck of the woods. That said, I don’t mind having shorter pages and advancing more often if it helps everyone on that end of the globe.

AaronE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Fewer, more selective posting would be welcome by me. Just too many images to look at.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
If that speed correct Bidkev? That's less than dialup.

have a look at one of these if you're lucky enough to be in one of the selected suburbs:

5G Home Broadband – Optus

Yes Alan. This suburb is notorious for slow speed even thought it's an older suburb and should have had time to get it's (the provider's) act together. Newer suburbs next door are faster. We can't even stream netflix or similar in two rooms at times.

Even that Optus link you gave me shows only 13 suburbs in the whole of Qld although those 13 are all within the greater Brisbane boundary

Last edited:

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Smaller sizes would strip the exif and the addition of exif has helped the members enormously.
The forum software already resizes any upload to 1600 max on a side, just checked on one i uploaded earlier and it was 638k for 1600x1067 on the webpage itself .... which equals arounf an 8 or 9 quality setting in PS save.
7.8k - that is ridiculous even for AU

Oh it's not the posts per page but really the number of images per page that becomes the issue on slow links

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
Smaller sizes would strip the exif and the addition of exif has helped the members enormously.

Not sure your right on that so doing a test,171kb

P1001617.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Apart from the basic exif showing this is with exif reader

Capturejkm.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
I meant from a hosting site such as flickr. If you don't post the original size uploaded to flickr, but post at a smaller flickr size then it strips the exif.

Ok i didnt know you meant that, but lets be honest if someone wants to see the exif they can click through to flicker, those linked images shouldnt slow your loading but larger files directly uploaded to the forum would.

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
Yes Alan. This suburb is notorious for slow speed even thought it's an older suburb and should have had time to get it's (the provider's) act together. Newer suburbs next door are faster. We can't even stream netflix or similar in two rooms at times.

That's Frustrating! I know someone that lives in Sydney in a similar situation - less than 1/2 hour from the CBD by train, but ADSL at 3.5Mbps maximum. Fortunately it's a steady connection and it's enough for her one netflix TV. NBN should have been there in Feb.

I know too sometimes the CDN's (ie regional proxies) are running slow and the images on this site struggle to load. I'm lucky to be on Fibre (50/20) so they should scream down, but they slowly begin to display. I think maybe my connection is flakey but the speed tests show my speeds (local and international) are fine.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Being in the suburbs of Sydney where the copper lines are degraded there are a lot of times I also have to walk away and come back. Some topics I only look at at work at lunch time. Even on broadband NBN a lot of companies have been caught out with very low speeds as they rely on the last bit of copper in a lot of cases. In fact everyone I know on broadband only about 6 from last count none get better than ADSL2 and have problems watching Youtube.

Connection & fast are mutually exclusive. In fact fast is often if you can connect at all if you live in the country where some of my family are.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Where I live, there is no phone line available.
Have to use my cell phone. It’s not real slow usually, but it is expensive. I simply don’t click on the image heavy pics, which bums me considerably, but 1gb of cell data gone in minutes...

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Where I live, there is no phone line available.
Have to use my cell phone. It’s not real slow usually, but it is expensive. I simply don’t click on the image heavy pics, which bums me considerably, but 1gb of cell data gone in minutes...
Plenty of things to bitch about my homeland (Finland) but unlimited data isn't one of them - nor internet speeds. :cloud-9-039::hide:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
This would be useful.

I'm kind of surprised it isn't a feature already, but I've just realised that the forum software has links for specific pages such as "/page-189", rather than pagination based on a URI query range able to be changed by configuration for each user (e.g. "?begin=1268747&count=15"). This means that all the pages must be fixed sizes...

Hmm... this seems to be an add-on:
Threads, Posts and Conversations Per Page

But it has problems:
Custom Posts Per Page User Setting

Page references and perma-links end up broken as they refer to different things for different people...

Last edited:

Mihau

Mu-43 Regular
Perhaps an image blocker for the browser would help.

I've just tried 'Easy image Blocker' for firefox. A bit painfull, but works - it disables all images on page and then you can load the one you want to see.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
4.97 Mbps here... so I feel anyone’s pain that doesn’t have access to real internet. Combined with that is a wallet emptying low bandwidth cap. Netflix? Lol! Our kids all pay less, get unlimited bandwidth and all have speeds in excess of 160 Mbps.

So, I have to wait until we visit our kids in some major cities to do any serious downloading... if an image heavy page begins to stall here (which it often does) I simply click the back button or head to another page that doesn’t have a post with umpteen photos. In another forum I was on years ago, you were only allowed 2 or 3 photos (can’t remember exact number) per post so that each post on an image heavy thread would incrementally load... still painful but at least you got a sneak peak at what was to come, rather than nothing at all. I believe a browser can also be set to serve this function of incremental loads, but the problem really is with too many images in a post, imo.

Latest threads

Top Bottom