1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Suggested Wireless Strobe Trigger for GH3

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by perpetualjon, Feb 22, 2015.

1. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    I am very new to flash photography but I am finding it necessary to get into for the desired portrait shots I want to produce. I have found what I think is a decent monolight that can produce 600W:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311125008571

I am seeing a wide variety of wireless triggers out there. Some say they are for either Canon or Nikon. Is the GH3 compatible with some of these? Can you suggest a good starter trigger system for me?

Since the power is set on the monolight from the back, I probably don't need any of the more fancy controllers that will also control the flash power from the camera... Am I on the right track?

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Hi, I have limited experience with other flash triggers other than what I have been using, Pocketwizard Plus II. It can trigger both my Nikon and Panasonic bodies with no issues. Very reliable. HTH.

3. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    A lot of this depends on your definition of "compatible." Since the mft hotshoe follows the ISO standard, any triggers that will work on Canon or Nikon should fire a remote flash, since the sync signal is part of the ISO standard. However, any TTL triggers that work for Canon or Nikon will not give you TTL/HSS/remote commanding functionality used with an mft hotshoe. And anything other than a sync signal won't get communicated (e.g., wakeup signals).

And of course, there are exceptions to this rule. Yongnuo's RF-603 triggers, for example, work fine on Canon and Nikon and are manual-only triggers, but do not work on micro four-thirds, Sony NEX, or Fuji X without modification. This is because these specific triggers sense whether they're attached to a flash or to a camera by sensing a signal on one of the TTL pins (a pin other than the sync pin), and this signal is specific to the camera brand. The Yongnuo RF-603II triggers, otoh, have an OFF/TX/TRX switch to explicitly set whether the unit is in transmit or receive mode.

What's your budget? How robust/reliable do these triggers have to be (i.e., are you planning on using them professionally? or for hobbyist work?) Triggers cover the gamut from cheapies that may not be 100% reliable, but are easy on the wallet to expensive pro gear that's super reliable (like PocketWizards).

One low-cost favored solution for hobbyists is speedlight-based--using the Yongnuo YN-560-TX as the on-camera transmitter and Yongnuo YN-560III or YN-560IV speedlights as the off-camera lights. This combination gives remote power/zoom control of the flashes, and costs are low (the TX is about $50, the flashes about $70-80 apiece) and are an easy way to put together a three light key/fill/rim set up. But YN units are not as robust as some professionals would prefer. And, obviously, the light output is far smaller than you'd get with a monolight. You could add a monolight to this setup with RF-603II or RF-605 Yongnuo triggers, but you'd only have group on/off control with an RF-605.

You may not need it, but it can be awfully handy to have, assuming you can find triggers that can do that. Most of the triggers that allow for remote power control are either tied to TTL capability (which is only to be found on speedlights--battery powered hotshoe flashes), or tied to a specific trigger/strobe combination (e.g., Cybersync Commander and the Paul Buff lights, like AlienBees). Some of the OEM triggers can also do tail sync--which is a different way (other than HSS/FP flash) to use flash with higher-than max sync-speed shutter speeds (i.e., the flash burst is timed to go a little earlier and the flash is put on full power, and the "tail" of the flash burst is used to illuminate the frame with its longer duration).

• Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm not so sure that I would go with that flash unit. I'd spend my money in the Alien Bee line.

I've become quite fond of the Radio Popper triggers.
    http://www.radiopopper.com

5. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I see you're from the US - I'd also suggest you look at the alienbees. Spec for spec, I am not sure you'll find better bang for your buck. Regarding the power, I have 300W lights and run them close to minimum most of the time. You may have issues of too much power unless you shoot in really wide spaces.

Regarding the triggers, I bought some basic phottix triggers on ebay - they work just fine (working in full manual with flashes is really easy)