1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Suggested Function on G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by abhisheks77, Aug 25, 2013.

1. abhisheks77

abhisheks77 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    I have Panasonic G5 with its kit lenses (14-42mm and 45-145mm) and will be travelling in next few days with family. I got it recently and I am quite new for camera and photography.
    It is personal choice, but it will be helpful to set it quickly for travel purpose and clicking my family pictures outside if experts can suggest me for Fn buttons and Fuction Lever.
    There are 5 function buttons and a Function Lever on this camera. Please suggest what fuctions are SUGGESTED for 5 functions and Function Lever.

2. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Without knowing your shooting style, comfort level with cameras, and vacation type (beach vs city) i don't think anyone is going to recommend functions for you. I would look through the function button menu and see what jumps out at you.

I just got this camera a couple of days ago and have set it with the following items I know I used on my D7000: 1) AE lock (an alternative to manual mode - just observe the correct exposure then lock it in); 2) metering mode (spot for people, matrix for landscapes, etc), 3) focus mode (AF, MF for macro, etc), 4) HDR, 5) histogram.

I would also suggest you set up C1 and C2-1, C2-2, C2-3 with quick settings. Maybe set one for landscape/architecture, one for portrait, one for fast-action and one for macro? It'll save you time.

I would also set the quick menu to Custom rather than Preset as I think it's easier to use with the back thumb dial myself (easier=quicker).

Have a great vacation!

3. abhisheks77

Jul 26, 2013
    Thanks for suggestion Mazg.
    I will be going to Grand Canyon, two National Parks and a desert of sand dunes.
    I am already reading its manual to set its Function Buttons and C1 and C2-1, C2-2, C2-3, but it is really really long pdf :)
    As per my plan, should I set camera as your settings ?

4. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Skip the manual for now - go to youtube and look up a video "set up G5 like a boss" and the panasonic Uk tutorials. And don't be afraid to use iAuto - apparently it does a good job.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig_BAu0LVaI&list=PL3YIwgPmZuj5W4t77dWwdOnNq03DgPMJS&index=20]Setup the G5 Like a BOSS - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t5-oBEdTWg&list=PL3YIwgPmZuj5W4t77dWwdOnNq03DgPMJS]Panasonic Lumix G5 - Tutorial 1 - The advantages of your mirrorless camera - YouTube[/ame]

5. abhisheks77

Jul 26, 2013
    Maz, these are great videos. I will go through them. Just couple of more questions regarding your settings on your G5.
    There are few modes on Dial - A, P, M, S and then two Customs, SCN and Creative Control. Do people use all modes/scnes or only few preffered ones ?
    When we assign some setting to function button, will those button works, irrespective of whatever Mode (A, P, M, S) we choose ?
    While travelling, most of the time should I trust on iAuto ? Most of my time, I will be clicking in bright sunlight.

6. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Function buttons should work in PASM modes, maybe not the scene and creative or iAuto (haven't tried but I suspect not as those are automatic modes).

Use of scene modes depends on the level of photographer. They are really only there if you don't know how to get the same effect yourself. I wouldn't hesitate to use them if you are unsure or aren't achieving the result you want. Having said that, it might be a good idea to reverse engineer what the scene mode is doing (shutter/aperture/ISO etc) as a learning exercise (but perhaps not while you are on vacation!).