Suggest me what lens next

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Abula, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Abula

Abula Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013

I'm really new to photography, but a hobby that i always wanted to enter, just didnt like DSLRs, but what a joy is to work with 4/3s.

I might go into a higher camera later on but for now im buidling my lens setup, atm i have

Olympus E-PL5
    Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4
    Olympus M. Zuiko 45mm f1.8

Most of what im taking photos is indoors, specially to family, and i build my PCs, so there is a lot of photos im taking there, but i kinda feel im set with what i have there. I travel a lot on my current job, so i also would like to take some pictures of landscapes, churches, parks, etc, this will not be my main thing, but i do want to have some primes to complete somewhat the very basic setup i have atm. The two lens that i been reading are,

Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f1.8
    Olympus M. Zuiko 12mm f2.0

The 12mm seems like a incredible lens, and more appart from the 25mm, not sure if its worth the 17mm having the pan 25mm. But im not sure, im too knew to know what im talking about.

Im also considering the Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75mm f1.8, seems to be a very sharp lens, but seems like a deeper 45mm, not sure if would complement the setup well.

I'm open to any that you guys think could be a better option, my top budget is $1000 per lens, but the cheaper the better.
  2. larsjuhljensen

larsjuhljensen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Choosing between focal lengths will always be very much down to personal preferences. That being said, what you currently have is a normal lens and a short tele lens. Adding a third prime, I would almost certainly want to add something more wide. The 75mm f/1.8 is an amazing lens from everything I have read, but both the 17mm f/1.8 and the 12mm f/2.0 would in my opinion complement your existing setup better. The 12mm would certainly be the more useful of the two for pictures of churches and other buildings in cities.

I do not have either of these lenses, but I find 12mm to be a very useful focal length. As you write yourself, it is more apart from the 25mm than the 17mm is. The combination 12/25/45 gives you a very good spread of focal lengths with a roughly 2x difference between each length. So if you want to add another prime lens to your setup, I would vote for the 12mm.

I personally went for the Olympus M. Zuiko 9-18mm wide-angle zoom instead, though. I find it very useful when walking around in a city as the focal range gives me both the wide-angle capabilities for architectural shots and 18mm, which many people find great for street photography.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I agree with the above. If you want to stick with primes, go with the 12. It's a far different angle of view than the 17, and much more useful for landscapes, etc. It's also a stop faster.

I also agree with Lars in that the 9-18 is an awesome walkaround lens. That's what I use as a general/travel lens and love it.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've also got the PL25 and O45. At the moment I have wide angle covered by my weatherproof kit O12-50, and telephoto by the O40-150.

I've been thinking of something wider to complement the two fast primes - almost got a pancake P14 which is very good for its price, but am in a holding pattern to see what the PL15 will be like. I think 17 is too close to the 25 for me.
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Nice camera and a pair of nice lenses too.

Me personally I would look at going wider rather than longer, as such I'd be taking a closer look at either the O12, O17 or P14 as a good performing budget alternative. If you are patient the soon to be released Pana Leica 15/1.7 could be a top choice depending of course on price/performance.
  6. Abula

Abula Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Thanks all for the replies, (btw trying to see for thank buttom but i dont see it, maybe im too new to be able to).

By the comments im going to discard the 17mm, not out of nothing bad, just have the 25mm too close. I also like the idea to have the lens more spread so i can chose depending on what im aiming at.

Now the question is weather to go with a zoom like Olympus 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6 or with the Olympus M. Zuiko 12mm f2.0, price are with in $100 of each other so could be either, or wait for this new Panasonic Leica 15mm f1.7, and see how it measures against the Olympus, and in the mean time.... evil spending devil says, "You promise a lens, so go with Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75mm f1.8".
  7. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I have the P14 for my wide lens and actually like it quite a bit. It is so small there is no reason not to have it with you. Of course the O12 is a nicer lens, but much more expensive and I have found that wide shots are not my favorites, so I didn't want to spend too much money on that part of my kit. SInce I don't get that you are reluctant to spend money for good lenses, in you place I'd narrow the choices down to the O12 and the P9-18 zoom. There is a pretty substantial difference between 9 and 12, but there is also a pretty big difference between f2 and f4. If you plan to use the lens mainly outdoors for landscapes and shots of buidings, I'd go with the zoom. If you plan to use it mainly to take indoor available light shots, I'd go with the O12.
  8. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    If you want to take photos of fast moving kids indoors, go with the 17/1.8 . Focus speed is lightning fast.
  9. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Coming from a superzoom to m43, the thing I first felt was really limiting from what I was used to was reach. I found a great deal on the OKish Panasonic 45-200, and then just kept that and kit for a while as I worked out what other needs I had.
  10. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You already have two of the sharpest lenses available for M43 cameras. Since it is harder to maintain sharpness in wider angle lenses (and also in zooms), be prepared to accept less sharpness if you expand your lens collection in that direction. On the other hand, going up to 75mm, some owners say that is the sharpest of the sharp so far.

However, wider lenses are fun to use, indoors and outdoors. I think you would find the Panasonic 7-14 zoom more versatile than the Olympus 12mm. Not as sharp, a bit larger, but it sure is a wide lens. For less money, less sharpness, but smaller size, there is the Olympus 9-18 which I own and like.

You might be surprised. Indoors, there is quite a difference for me between a 17mm and 25mm focal length,
  11. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Have some fun...........Sanyang 7.5mm