Suggest an inexpensive Pany viewfinder body for Oly user

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by onewheeltom, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:16 AM.

1. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    My current M43 setup consists of an E-P5, E-PM1, Pany 12-32mm, Oly 14-42mm, Oly 60mm Macro, Oly 40-150mm, adapted Minolta 50mm f1.7. Was looking at Oly viewfinder prices and thought a nice alternative would be an older Pany body with integrated viewfinder. Are there specific bodies that tend to be particularly good deals?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Did you want a rangefinder or traditional DSLR styled body? The GX 7 was a decent body and can be had for good prices. But, do beware of the EVF's used in many of their bodies. Beyond the tear effect which some people experience, some of us find the EVF (in the GX7, GX80/85, GM5) to be a bit of a challenge to get a clean, clear viewable image. I would definitely try before you buy.

Good luck,

--Ken

3. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    I like the rangefinder form factor and would prefer that to the DSLR. It must have an EVF...that's the main point of this exercise. I would plan to use this with my Oly 60mm macro in situations where an EVF might be more appropriate. For the right price, I'm not too picky.
    --tom

4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    The gx7 has the tilting EVF. If you are looking to use it for the 60 macro, that would be the best bet. It makes difficult angles a little easier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    I agree about the GX7. Having said that, there have been some screaming deals on used GX-8s, which has an absolutely amazing EVF (what I did as an upgrade early last year). I ended up biting the bullet a couple of years ago and put the Panasonic DMW-LVF2 viewfinder on my GX-1. It was hard to justify the cost, but it's nice to have the option for a truly tiny body when needed, or attach the EVF for precise focus or tough lighting on the screen. It was far cheaper at the time than upgrading to a GX7. As for the EVF clear image issue, both Pansonic EVFs that I have have a small adjuster dial that is exposed when tilted. If the image is blurry, it's likely that this was inadvertently moved, so spin it back until the image looks good.

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I would agree with you about how great the EVF is in the GX-8. If the OP can get a good deal and does not mind the size or possible shutter shock issues, then it is a great camera with a great sensor. As for my EVF experiences with the GM% and GX80, I played with the diopter adjustment knob but could never get a really good image. It was a bit like looking at a fun house mirror. There was a DPR thread where this was discussed in some detail, and somebody thought that the EVF may have misalinged in the diopter adjustment track, thus causing some of the distortion. I am not sure if this is a reasonable assessment, but it was a reasonable description of how the problem appeared to a number of us. The funny thing is that I do not remember this issue with the GX7's that I tried out. I still have my GX80 to see if I can get used to it, but if a better RF body comes along at a reasonable price, I would have no problem switching.

--Ken

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I agree with the GX7 or the G7. The G7 can still be purchased new with a kit lens from retailers for under $600, and I'm sure that price will drop even further in another month or so.

8. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I'm just curious why you aren't considering an Olympus body with integrated viewfinder. You can get a refurbished E-M10 II for $300 now on the Oly website, and I'm sure you could pick up a used E-M10 I even cheaper ($200?).

9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Remember, OP has a preference for a rangefinder type body.

--Ken

10. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle Mu-43 Top Veteran

If shooting live subject macro is any substantial part of your plans, I would have to agree with the folks suggesting a tiltable viewfinder. Of the many insect and spider photos I've taken using the 60mm macro, almost none were taken using a viewfinder; the one case where I used a VF-4 (as well as the times when I might have used it if I'd had it) required tilting it almost all the way up. When using the rear screen, it tends to end up flipped up much of the time, too. It really depends on what you're trying to do, of course, but for "face-to-face" type shots of bugs in low places, I wouldn't enjoy trying to use a rear-facing vf... FWIW. :D

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The GX7 is a screaming bargain these days for a camera that is still very contemporary feeling.

The IBIS won't be as good as your E-P5's, but will definitely be better than the E-PM1's. Other than that, it still feels very fresh, you don't need to give up much compared to brand new bodies.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Lot of good deals on GX85 bodies.

13. melanieylang

melanieylang Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2017
    +1 on all the votes for GX7...

I, too, prefer the rangefinder form, and love a tilting EVF for macros in particular, but also find it very useful in general. Having the diopter adjustment under the EVF is a stroke of genius, as it's very unlikely to be bumped. For me, a tilting LCD screen is easier to use for stills photography than the fully articulated kind - having a screen flipped out at the side feels awkward.

On another note, my experience has been that Panasonic lenses play more nicely with both Panasonic and Olympus bodies than Olympus lenses do with Panasonic bodies.

Good luck with your decision.

Melanie

14. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    I paid UK £195 for my Gx7.?and you know what I preferred it to my (now sold gx80) don't care too much for 4k so all else was equal...or for me better at Gx7 ,£135 back in my pocket thank you very much

15. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    It's funny how we all use the equipment differently :) The GX7 was my main camera for a while, and I didn't tilt the viewfinder even once. I did, however, get frustrated by the lack of a fully articulated rear screen.