Sudbury River

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Hendrik, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    The Sudbury, Assabet and Concord Rivers have been given 'Wild and Scenic' status. Info may be found here.

I am privileged to live close enough to the Sudbury to see it daily. My wife and I went paddling on it last evening and spent about twenty minutes in the company of this great blue heron.
    E-M1.1, O300 f/4. I don't use the MC-14 on the water, both to widen aperture and ease framing - it's not a particularly wide river. For example, the two (uncropped) shots of the heron in the tree were taken while my kayak was lodged in the weeds on the side opposite the tree. In fact, only the image of the heron in flight is cropped.

_HFB9723PB.
    _HFB9735PB.
    _HFB9771PB. _HFB9795PB.
    _HFB9821PB.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Just minutes before encountering the heron, we saw a few cedar waxwings. This one posed for a minute or so. 1/1250, f/4

_HFB9667PB.

_HFB9675PB.

_HFB9679PB.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    The river is not just herons 24/7. Some of the residents are scarce, make themselves scarce or are sufficiently small that they reside close to the edge of the lens' power to resolve.

Greater Yellowlegs – on an inaccessible mudflat. EM-1, 300/4 Pro
    _HFB0392PB.

Great Egret – wanted nothing to do with the kayaks. EM-1, 300/4 Pro
    _HFB0364PB.

Painted Turtles – king of the log? EM-1, 40/150 Pro + MC-14
    _HFB0575PB.

Canada Geese – eternal vigilance is the price of breeding success. EM-1, 40/150 Pro + MC-14
    _7030082PB.

Muskrat – bringing home the bacon. EM-1, 40/150 Pro + MC-14
    _HFB0299PB-2.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Love that area, and great shots!

5. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    We went for an October 1st paddle yesterday evening. With glorious weather we expected the river to be full of other folk. Not!

I'm not yet fully transitioned to the E-M1.2. All with the O300 f/4.

This buck disappeared into the thicket half a minute later.
    _HFB0124.

Mourning doves (cropped)
    _HFB0131.

Turtles (slight crop) _HFB0137.

Heron with catch (slight crop) - more of him in the next post
    _HFB0169-Edit.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Same evening, same heron.

On the east bank
    _HFB0181.

still on the east bank
    _HFB0203.

on the west bank
    _HFB0215.

attempting to blend into the shadows
    PA010236-Edit.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    This has been an atypical fall. We have been in a bit of a drought and have not had the mid-October rain and wind storms that usually terminate fall color season. The vegetation on the seasonal meadows that flank the river is largely dry. The trees still have a lot of nice color. Tonight we had a less cloudy sunset than yesterday and there were some nice photo ops to be had.

My paddling companion, setting out.
    _HFB0727.

Again, after we turned back.
    _HFB0735.

Just as we were starting out, a motorboat on a golden hour jaunt had flushed at least two herons further along the path we had chosen so we were happy to see this fellow return to hunt just as the light was leaving the river.
    _HFB0898.

And then the motorboat came back.
    _HFB0906.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    A shirtsleeve paddle on November 2? No one would take those odds. How about a late-October storm that put the lights out on over a hundred thousand customers? And caused the Sudbury to rise a foot or two? Who'd a thunk it!

The channel of the river widened by at least a factor of three in spots. This is one of them.
    _HFB0763.

This is another.
    _HFB0764.

Going into the vegetation, I was floating above plants that I couldn't have seen over from my boat before the rise in water level. These grasses would have towered over me.
    _HFB0774.

On the way back to the landing we encountered a beaver and were able to stay far enough away to be able to observe it, mostly...
    _HFB1414.

On the surface, I had just enough speed to pace it _HFB1390.

I was a bit dispirited when I found out I could just keep up with it while it was multitasking...
    _HFB1399.

The beaver stuck to the channel. For this photo, I'm several meters inland from the normal channel, not even scraping on the drowned vegetation underneath.
    _HFB1417.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  9. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I just wanted to encourage you to keep posting these images. My wife's late uncle lived in Sudbury near the Wayside Inn and I hiked/walked along parts of the river several times in the late 90s. The river and its environs look more beautiful than I remember.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    These are some fantastic images. Are they all from one outing or multiples combined?

11. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Thank you!

The post pairs 1&2, 5&6 each represent discrete trips. Post 3 is a compilation over two seasons. Posts 7 & 8 were shot on separate occasions. Except for post 3, I have posted within a day or two of making the pix, sometimes the same evening.

There are images from other evening paddles salted around the forums here, as well. One day I might round them up and add them into this thread for completeness' sake.

I find it impressive that this wonderful landscape and habitat is found not much more than a half hour away from a major city (Boston). What the photos don't convey is that, as isolated as it may look, we are never totally away from the sound of traffic.

12. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Wow, just looked at the dates of when you posted. I am glad you kept posting even with the lack of feedback. Sometimes the gear posts get overwhelming here and drown out the really good pictures some members post. Although I am guilty of the gearpondering too I have had new image threads ignored before.