A tower to go with the shutters. It seems to have no functional purpose so maybe the original owner was English or European and was reminiscing or something. Just one of those suburban oddities in Fremantle.
The commercial building located at 72 Wray Avenue, is described as a single storey, rendered masonry and iron single-width shop with a symmetrical facade designed as an example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture. The dominant feature of the building is the heavily detailed timber gable end [this is what caught my attention].
A little history on Wray Avenue and 72 Wray Avenue
Wray Avenue was originally Hampton Street. The name was changed to avoid confusion with the intersecting Hampton Road. It became Alexander Road, after Laurence Alexander, Mayor 1901-1902, and a representative of Falk & Co.
The street name was again changed to avoid confusion with Alexandra Road in East Fremantle and became Wray Avenue in 1923. It was named for William E Wray, at one time with the Education Dept as Truant Inspector, and a resident of the street. He was on the Fremantle Tramways Board and Mayor of Fremantle, 1914-1918.
This property was formerly 80 Wray Avenue; renumbering occurred in 1930/31.
This house is one of several on a single lot of land that was first developed prior to 1880. The sequence of development of this group of buildings is difficult to establish as the rates book for this early period does not distinguish clearly the individual buildings on the lot. The number of buildings on the lot gradually increased during the 1890s and by 1894 there were seven cottages on the lot.
The owners were Benjamin Shemelds, Mary McNeece, and Godfrey Dixon. Mary McNeece was the wife of John McNeece, architect and carpenter who designed several buildings on the adjacent corner lot.
Because this building has a frontage on the front property boundary it is suggested that this building was originally designed for a commercial purpose. The only shop recorded on this lot was in 1900 it is therefore suggested that this is when this building was constructed. The owner was John McNeece and the occupant was Mary M. Tapper, a shopkeeper. It is probable that McNeece designed this building.
A plan of the site in 1907 shows that this brick cottage had a verandah at the rear but located on the side of the building. A timber closet was located in the rear of the property.
This place was identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80 as being of cultural heritage significance. (Coded: Purple: "Of architectural and historic significance in its own right.”)
Source: InHerit – Heritage Council – State Heritage Office