Stylus for Ipads or capacitive screens

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Lauzers, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi All

We have a bunch of ipad 2 coming in soon, and we want to intergrate drawing/ sketching capability into the business. Just wondering if any of you guys use such function on an ipad or capacitive screens have any suggestion for an accurate, good stylus.

Thank you in advance.

2. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    • Like Like x 1
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    My favourite is the Candy stylus. I like a pen/stylus with some heft. Wacom have also announced one, but I have yet to try it.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  4. flikmy

flikmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 20, 2011
    I use the Boxwave stylus, which I believe is fairly highly recommended. I've heard that the wacom pen for ipad is pretty good, but I think it costs almost 3 times as much.

5. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    I have tried several, never been very impressed with any of them as an improvement over finger input on an ipad, except for perhaps signing my name. Steve Jobs intentionally steered his engineers away from designing a system that requires a stylus for precise input.

I have the Boxwave, and I think its soft rubbery tip probably works best of those I have tried over the years on ipad and iphone (Pogo and several others). But I rarely use it.

Until Apple or some other party develops a system that is pressure sensitive on capacitive screens, like Wacom tablets, they are overpriced, underperforming accessories, that are unlikely to be very helpful unless you are an artist trying to draw or paint on the ipad. They do work for that, but I am not sure they are an improvement over the finger. For that use, one might consider some of the capacitive brush designs as potentially more useful. I have not tried it, but check out the "Flow" capacitive paintbrush at Joystickers — Welcome if you need something for painting on the touchscreen.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    Thanks for all the comments, appreciated.

I think it is a case where if you give a cave man a round object, they can come up with a wheel, a cart, a throwing disc, etc.

There are already app writers promoting their up coming pressure sensitive app for capacitive screen, not sure how well it will works, but keen to have a look.

in our case, our design studio realise we are the biggest contribution to paper scrap. we draw, we doodle, we think on paper. Realising what we can do to eliminate some part of it using ipad apps got us excited, and we are experimenting if that is feasable (we use ipad for other purposes as well). Apps like Sketchbook pro are a fine example sketches can be achieved via capacitive screen, i guess it is like a new way of learning how to write with a pen.

I agree, lots of capacitive stylus are overpriced, unrefined 'replacement' of a pen, until a writing device is designed FOR capacitive screen, i'm on constant search for the right tool.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Haven't tried any, but I don't see how you can go wrong with a Wacom stylus. Their app, Bamboo Paper was free a few days ago, might still be free so I would check that out :)

8. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    Funny thing is, I can't find any where in Australia, Melbourne specifically that sells them!! Please if you know where, I would like to know. Thanks in advance

9. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

If you install the Macworld app (free) they have a review of iPad stylus, might help you to choose something suitable.

10. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Theres a few on ebay but it looks like stock is short on these.