1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stylus 1 -- very interesting looking (although not m4/3)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by twalker294, Oct 29, 2013.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    So I just saw on Olympus' Facebook page the announcement of the Stylus 1:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/dig...k&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=announcement

Looks like an EM1 with a fixed lens. It's a 28-300/2.8 constant aperture zoom and will have an MSRP of $699 when it comes out in December. I'm seriously thinking about ditching my 45-175 lens and getting this camera for my tele shots. I'd much rather have a 28-300/2.8 as long as the glass is good, which I'm sure it will be.

This is an interesting trend and one that I think is long overdue. It seems that camera makers are recognizing the advanced amateur market and making more reasonable zoom ranges with constant apertures rather than the 24-8000 that looks good in an advertisement but has a 5.6-8.0 aperture and looks like mush at both ends of the zoom range. The Sony RX10 is another camera that fits this mold with its 28-200/2.8 but it's twice as expensive as the Stylus 1.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am seriously thinking about getting one. There are times when I want a camera with me but don't want to hassle with a DSLR or even a PEN. I used to have a Nikon Coolpix 5200 and loved it for those times. I thought going m4/3 would fill that niche but I either end up with the wrong lens or too many or if have my 14-150 I find it too big. This camera would work better overall in those situations. I have been tempted to get a XZ-1/2 but never did. One reason is that I often go tele and the lens was just too short. The other is no VF although my VF2 would fit on it. Thank you Olympus for providing a better solution.

3. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Saw rumours a few weeks ago and as you have said not m4/3 but obviously aimed at looking like EM5/EM1 but "hybrid control ring" placement harks back to the OM1,2,3 & 4 shutter speed control location. It would appear retro is in at the moment.

The zoom range is good as perhaps a backup body and I suspect the choice of "only" 12M pixels is try and maximise sensitivity and lower noise performance.

Might wait to see actual sensor/IQ performance before any decision.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Very attractive package indeed... Certainly much more attractive than the Sony RX10 appearance and size-wise. I just wonder how the smaller sensor stack up against the RX10's 1" sensor...

5. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    I'm sure the RX10 will give superior image quality. It's basically an RX100 MkII with a longer lens and the RX100 has amazing image quality. But I'm guessing at half the price the Stylus 1 will give 90% of the quality, which is good enough for me to buy one. Of course we'll have to see but I have high hopes for this one...

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not sure about it being all that compact - the body is practically the same shape and size as the E-M5 (actually a little deeper):
    http://j.mp/1co6ZMh, http://j.mp/1co7k1p

To each their own I suppose. I could never stuff the E-M5 even without a lens into any pockets, mainly because of the EVF. If neither will fit in a pocket... I'd just end up taking the E-M5, which is light and compact enough. My backup for travel would either be the smartphone camera, or a water/shock resistant compact.

It looks like a freaking transformer here :tongue::
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-stylus-1/images/cap-flash-open.jpg

7. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I would take the sony RX100 any day 1.8 lens while not as long reach better low light and truly smaller and 1 inch sensor

neat for a super zoom if someone is looking for that though :)

8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Has it really not been done before the RX10? I find that curious. I would think a constant f/stop 'super'-zoom would be quite a seller.

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Off the top of my head, Panasonic has one in DSLR-style body, but the sensor is even smaller at 1/2.33".

10. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    Personally I fail to see why this is so attractive. It's not pocketable and seems to be as portable as any other Mu43 camera on the market. I would rather invest in some nice glass.

• Like Like x 1
  11. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    The sensor size is what sets the RX10 apart. It's the first with a constant aperture zoom with that kind of focal length range and a 1" sensor.

12. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Well, it looks a lot smaller to carry than anything in the u4/3 world with a 200 2.8 lens. Oh, wait, there isn't a 200 2.8 lens in the u4/3 world is there?

13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Uh, 35-100 f/2.8? About the same volume actually. I think I'd rather carry that than another 'full size' body (m4/3 is full size for me :p).

14. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I have friends and relatives who won't change lenses, and think MFT bodies with the lenses attached are too big. At the same time they want either long telephoto capabilities and/or a viewfinder. I'd been pointing them toward the LF1, but now this is possibly a better option.

It must be a popular feature set, since the new Nikon P7800 is similar (and is sold out on Amazon).

Now, if Sony was smart they'd come out with a lower priced EVF for the RX100 II.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The trick with this one is that the IQ might not be as good but I'll bet it's a nice camera to use. As time goes on I find myself in situations where small is best. Hell, just walking around Disney can become a drag with the wrong camera. This is the quintessential high end snapshooter.

16. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
  17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Exactly. I know many people who own an M4/3 camera and never change lens, but wish their lenses have longer reach or faster aperture.

18. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Wow...I may be a bit biased (I think my E-M5 is the best-looking camera on the market), but that is the best-looking compact I've ever seen!!

Nice lens on it too...better than anything Canon/Nikon has to offer, and right up there with the Panasonic FZ200/Leica VLux 4, though with less range...

19. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    How about a 300mm equivalent at f2.8?