1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stylish shoulder bag for E-M10 + pancake lenses

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by perryge, Feb 3, 2015.

1. perryge

perryge Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2015
    Hong Kong
    Perry
    Hey folks!

I'm in the market for a stylish shoulder bag with internal separators to hold my Olympus OM-D E-M10 with pancake lens mounted, plus two extra pancake lenses and a spare battery. I'm not sure where to start looking. Any recommendations or good resources online?

I'll be using it for travel, hiking and street photography so extra pockets are a plus. But really I want something as small and light as possible, preferably with an all-weather cover or at least some water resistance.

2. lucifer06

lucifer06 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2011
    Domke f-5xb will fit what u are looking for.

Sent from my SM-T325 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Or the Billingham Hadley Digital ...

• Like Like x 2
  4. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    The ThinkTank Mirrorless Movers could work (though maybe not as weather sealed as you like). Light, comfortable, works very well for my EM10 + lens.

5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Or maybe the Tenba DNA 8?

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Check out ONA, Think Tank (Retrospective series), some Domke, especially the waxed canvas models like F831. I would also look at some messenger bags you like in general (I like Timbuk2)and consider putting a camera compartment inside.

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Think Tank Retrospective Series.

8. perryge

perryge Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2015
    Hong Kong
    Perry
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks!! These all look great!

I'm gonna hit the camera bag store soon to see what's in stock. It's hard to gauge size precisely from photos alone and I'm looking for something really small but not as tiny as the bag I'm currently using for my MU43 gear (which is like 10cm x 10cm x 10cm and amazingly fits E-M10 with Lumix 20 1.7, 14-42 EZ + spare battery and SD card). Leaning towards one of the Think Thanks but they're not easy to find in Asia.

I love the idea of using a normal messenger bag with a camera insert too.

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Didn't the OP say stylish? :biggrin: I own a half dozen or so older (traditional) Domke bags, and stylish is not a word that would jump to the top of my list if I was asked to describe them. I love them to death, but mostly because they seem to follow the form follows function philosophy, but I find their beauty being in the eye of the beholder. But, then again, that is one of the things that I like about them.

--Ken

10. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    The Domke "New Generation" Adventurer bags look to be a good, reliable Domke fit for a modest M43 kit, but perhaps a bit too small for my D750 and any larger than medium lens, but, as can be with Domke, seem a bit garish with the usual contrasting shoulder strap and surgically removable logo decoration.

11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I remember seeing an asian company selling almost perfect copies of Billingham bags. Half price, but still expensive (obviously). They looked pretty good, but no idea of the quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I just saw that Tenba has released the Switch line of shoulder bags. They come small enough, and with the interchangeable flaps, could certainly be as stylish as you want. :)

http://www.tenba.com/Collections/switch.aspx

• Like Like x 2
  13. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I looked at the DNA 8 and ended up with the Retrospective 5 because the DNA 8 was too small for what I wanted to carry. I have the E-M10, grip, Pan14, Oly 12-50, Sigma 30 & 60, and a few other little things. They all fit in the Retrospective 5. It's a great bag, it's probably bigger than you want. The Switch 8 is just a little bigger than the DNA 8, it might have worked for me. But the iPad/Tablet pocket on the back is actually something I could do without. The Retorspective 5 also has a little larger pocket in front that I find handy.

The Mirrorless Mover 20, Switch 7, or DNA 8 (in size order) look like they're about the size you are looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    I use a Visconti messnger bag with a soft insert. Easily holds camera and three lenses.

16. perryge

perryge Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2015
    Hong Kong
    Perry
  17. perryge

perryge Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2015
    Hong Kong
    Perry
    Those 3 all look great. Thanks. If any of these are available in Hong Kong I'll probably pick one up.

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Tenba is part of the MAC Group.

macgroupcn is listed as the Hong Kong distributor.

Thinktankphoto is a list of international stores, There are at least 6 listed in Hong Kong.

Of course what products that have or can get? No idea.

19. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA

There's a company in Phillipines making copies of these bags. www.gouachebags.com Shipping to EU or US is pricey but to you in HK may be ok.
    I would think carefully about that small one though. I've seen it in person and it's a bit too purse-like to me. the larger sized ones are OK IMHO. I realize that's a very subjective assessment though :)
    http://greenroom136.com - another cool waxed canvas place. based in Malaysia, so again the shipping issues.

20. perryge

perryge Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2015
    Hong Kong
    Perry
    I ended up choosing 2 bags - the Think Tank mirrorless mover 20 and a slightly larger Billingham-style bag that also fits my 5D. Thanks for all the recommendations!

• Like Like x 1