1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Style

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by JimRead, Jun 1, 2014.

1. JimRead

JimRead Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    Jim Read
    Hello all,

I had a bash at the street pic caper a couple of years ago, and began by wandering about getting as close as I could and just shooting scores of pics. As I find though with these things it gets a bit boring just doing it aimlessly so I started to look closely at what I'd done searching for a theme and one of the things that emerged was Style; this is one of the pics

Style is subjective so the pics are my take on it, it may mean the way a person stands or walks and has nothing to do with clothes, on the other hand it may have everything to do with clothes if a person feels stylish wearing them.

I recalled an interview Eve Arnold gave to Woman's Hour on BBC R4; she said that she was walking down a street in Philadelphia with Norma, no one was taking any notice of either of them. Eve asked Norma what she did to become Marilyn and so Norma became Marilyn and suddenly everyone recognised her. Eve went on to say that it was nothing to do with the clothes or even the walk, she just projected Marilyn in an indefinable way and then went back to being Norma and they carried on walking.

Cheers - Jim

2. JimRead

JimRead Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    Jim Read
    Hello all,

Here's another from the same series.

Cheers - Jim

3. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I think you're talking about capturing the essence of the person. And yes, that's not always easy to do, but when you do, you know it.

4. JimRead

JimRead Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    Jim Read
    Hello Ron,

Thanks for that I'd never thought of it in those words, yes you're right, I suppose it becomes more than a portrait because they have no idea that they are being photographed.

Cheers - Jim

Here's the next one:

a24.

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You may like the Imagine episode on Vivian Maier, a lot of her pics were of people like this.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

6. JimRead

JimRead Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    Jim Read
    Hello Barry,

I saw that in the Radio Times but like an idiot forgot to record it. At the time I made these there was a movement to try and stop street photography so I spent about 4 months being seen doing it, and being stopped and questioned. Use it or lose and it we very nearly did.

Cheers - Jim