Stupid Wall St Journal: Article on NEX and Nikon J1

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Oct 27, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    But no mention of m43!

From their web page "A new category of digital photo cameras is combining the creative controls of an SLR camera with the lightweight portability of point-and-shoot cameras. Geoff Fowler talks with Lauren Ruder about two such cameras - Sony's NEX-5N and Nikon's J1."

I noticed the article in today's WSJ, section D, but here also is a video on-line. They totally ignore the guys who invented the space!!! (really, it's all about Nikon, and they use Sony as a counter point).

He talks about the Nikon as if it's a replacement for DSLRs, but he also complains about lack of DOF. Of course, because it doesn't really have a DSLR sensor!

I like the woman's conclusion (Lauren) at the end. Because the cameras don't have GPS or wireless upload, she says "I guess the iPhone still has the lead in the field."

Urgh! I think I'm going to write a letter to the editor...

Video - Nikon and Sony Launch Smaller Digital Cameras That Pack a Punch - WSJ.com

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    You really should....not that anything will come of it.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well let's see...
    The mirrorless Leica M8 came out before Micro Four Thirds.....:smile:

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Now, now. You know the difference between a range finder and a CSC.

btw, the Leica has a prism/mirror in it!

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Oly's public relations folks must be working on other issues! :rofl:

It is frustrating to read these articles written by people that are ignorant about the industry, let alone aren't actually photographers.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's Panasonic and Olympus fault for not pushing M43 more in the US. You'd think at least Panasonic would do a better job advertising considering they have over 100 billion dollars in revenue! They're actually bigger than Sony! Olympus is puny with only 12 billion in revenue!

7. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Huh???? I don't understand this....
    ... not the "must be working on other issues" part. It's the first part of the sentence I don't understand. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But why worry? Just go make photos and ignore all the riff-raff "journalists." They're just trying to seem like experts in their own minds.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    OK. I'll admit it. I'll talk about the elephant in the room.

I want m43 to succeed, not because I get a psychic satisfaction of knowing I chose the "winner" in the CSC market. I've always been contrarian, so I don't care about that.

I worry about m43 acceptance because I'm a pathological gear trader, and I need my m43 equipment to protect it's value.

There. I said it. No high end motive here. Just plain, common, I-don't-want-to-lose-my-shirt-in-gear-sales fear.

Of course, it might be the best thing for me, -- if photography equipment didn't retain it's value. I'd have to go find something more constructive to do. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1