Stupid Smartphones

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I dropped my 2+ year old iPhone 5s the other day. Smashed the screen.

It was time to upgrade anyway, I had been been keeping it at iOS 9 for a long time and the camera crystal was really scratched up.

My criteria for a phone - As small as possible. I don't want a something over 5 inches long in my pocket. That leaves me with the iPhone SE and..... basically nothing. Sony makes a nice looking Xperia compact phone, but it doesn't seem to be available at any carriers in the US.

I really didn't want to get another iPhone.

Real Name
Andrew L
Open up your criteria a little bit, especially in terms of size. a 5-inch or 5.2-inch phone is NOT large. 5.5" and up is a large phone that's hard to deal with in the hand. However, look at the Nokia phones, maybe an 8 on Amazon - beautiful, sturdy, pure and clean Android, $420 without a contract. I have a Nokia 6 and while it's a lot lower-end in terms of internals it's overbuilt and beautiful.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nothing wrong with the SE. I bought one last year and I'm very happy with it.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Well aside from my dislike of Apple and their ways, the SE represents great value if you happen to be wedded to that ecosystem.

I'd look carefully at the plain 7 too. I was a 5" user for ages and when I could really no longer avoid it I got an Oppo F1 (probably unknown in the USA).

You'll see the 7 is a wee bit smaller
Oppo F1 vs. Apple iPhone 7 - GSMArena.com

And I've adjusted to everything about this phone except on screen keyboards (but you're already across that chasm)

There are other Android alternatives, but whats your selection criteria and usage intention?
For example I often process RAW from my Panasonic on my phone when traveling...

P.S. WTF was the title to do with stupid phone dropper?
:thumbup:

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
My selection criteria: #1 as small as possible. #2 Small. #3 SMALL.

I would be happy with something the size of the iPhone 4s that I had before the 5s. I keep my phone in my pocket 90% of the time. Anything larger than the 5s, is just too bulky.

As for usage, I will import images too the phone on occasion, but usually only to post to instagram. Then just cursory social media, messaging, music and podcasts. That's about it. I don't need or expect a phone to do much else.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
The other phones I looked at where the A3, Z2 and Sony Xperia compact. The Z2 was the best comparison to the SE, but in the end I just went with the iPhone. It probably is the best small smartphone on the market. Unfortunately that means I can't scrape myself away from Apple.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Not necessarily on a plan, but on my network - which I was willing to change. The Sony does not work on Verizon, which I am currently on.
I wonder how that functions (given that its unlocked and works on every network around the planet (or so I thought))?

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Unfortunately that means I can't scrape myself away from Apple.
the SE is stout value that's for sure (when examining the hardware) ... I have similar problems with my views on Apple (file system access?, bluetooth transfers?, FTP files on my home network ...).

Pitty one can't load another OS onto that hardware

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I wonder how that functions (given that its unlocked and works on every network around the planet (or so I thought))?

I don't quite understand all of the details. But from what I found Verizon requires CDMA, the Sony does not include it. I found that some people are able to get Xperias to connect to the Verizon network, but only through data. I just am not interested in "hacking" a several hundred dollar device in that way.

I'll be happy with the SE, and will use it until it is completely obsolete, and then some. I just don't put any priority on smartphones.

uscrx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My criteria

Replaceable battery
External micro SD Card

The last Flagship phone that has it is LG V20.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I'm with you that nearly all modern cell phones are stupidly huge. Sony is really the only game in town in terms of high end Android phones in a non-ridiculous form factor. I can vouch for them working on any GSM carrier (i.e. T-Mobile or AT&T). Their new XZ2 Compact will be Verizon compatible, but its not out until next month. If you need a phone today, I'd recommend switching carriers and going with an XZ1 Compact.

I capitulated recently and replaced an earlier version of the Xperia Compact with a Moto G5 plus, because it was less than half the cost of the newer Sony. The Motorola is not a big phone by today's standards, but I often find myself wishing it were smaller. That said, I find that the iPhone SE's 4" screen is a bit too small (not to mention my aversion to iPhones in general). The compact Sony's are in the Goldilocks zone for me.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Sprint still uses CDMA as well as several regional carriers.

That said, why anyone would choose a carrier other than T-Mobile/ Metro PCS is beyond me.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
My selection criteria: #1 as small as possible. #2 Small. #3 SMALL.

I would be happy with something the size of the iPhone 4s that I had before the 5s. I keep my phone in my pocket 90% of the time. Anything larger than the 5s, is just too bulky.

I used to think the same way and now I can't live with less than 5.5" screens. You get used to what you have, and unless you wear super tight pants, it's not really a problem to carry it around in your pocket. I have my Oneplus 5t in my pocket right now, sitting at my desk at work and I walked 5 miles a day at Disneyland with it in my pocket. Don't even notice it. I upgraded from a 5S to a 5.5" LG and it was huge for a couple weeks and then it just seemed normal.

If you really aren't willing to go any larger, your option is the Iphone SE, It's still a nice phone, but it's pretty dated. I wouldn't be surprised if it only has 1-2 more years of iOS updates, so maybe not a good long term investment. And you know when that's gone, there will be zero phones that size, so you might as well get used to larger now anyway, IMHO.

Sprint still uses CDMA as well as several regional carriers.

That said, why anyone would choose a carrier other than T-Mobile/ Metro PCS is beyond me.

I use and like T-mobile, but Verizon still wins by a long shot in rural areas. T-mobile has nearly as much coverage by population and a fast network, but Verizon wins by quite a bit for sheer area covered.

Can't answer why anyone picks the other two, other than dirt cheap prepaid on Sprint's network. :)

I don't quite understand all of the details. But from what I found Verizon requires CDMA, the Sony does not include it. I found that some people are able to get Xperias to connect to the Verizon network, but only through data. I just am not interested in "hacking" a several hundred dollar device in that way.

Sony also uses fingerprint sensors that have some copyright dispute in the USA, so they disable the sensors on all US bound phones. Who wants to type a PIN everytime you use your phone in 2018?

Latest threads

Top Bottom