Stupid Question: How to remove lettering from 3rd party EM-1 Grip?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nublar, Sep 6, 2017.

1. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If it bothered me and I wanted to do it right, I would use autobody glazing putty to fill in the hole and then paint it black with spray paint. The glazing putty (3M / Bondo makes it) is one-part and comes in a squeeze tube (make sure you don't get the UV-cure stuff). Press it into the hole slightly above the level of the surface, and then after it's cured in about 30 minutes you can sand it down to level with a fine sandpaper. Then a quick blast of black spray paint and you're done.

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Just put a piece of black gaffers tape over it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BlindMan

BlindMan New to Mu-43 Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2017
    Nail polish remover or acetone will shift the paint.

5. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2016
    Color over with a sharpie.
    I believe duct tape has a stronger adhesive than gaffers tape; available in black locally or Amazon.

6. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    I used to be paranoid about this, believing that white lettering or a chrome camera would attract attention and ruin my attempts at self-effacement. I used black spirit markers to fill up the type. It didn't last forever but certainly did the job.

7. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    A lot of lettering of that type was lacquer because of rapid drying. BlindMan has right idea if you're careful, acetone will also dissolve plastic. Alcohol with a Q-tip will dissolve lacquer and is a little gentler on plastic.

8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya my vote is for matte black gaffers tape or a bit of electrical tape. If you want to cover and fill in the letters, then black Sugru may do the job nicely.

Home | Sugru

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The finish on the grip is probably black anodizing. If so, and the letters are filled with paint, then any paint stripper should be step #1. Apply in small quantities and scrub out the letters with a toothbrush or other stiff brush. Test the paint stripper on an inconspicuous area of the supposed-to-be-anodizing finish first.

If the overall black finish is paint, strip it, prime with an etching type primer and paint black with epoxy paint.

If the overall black finish is anodizing, and the lettering is clean, I'd consider a couple of alternatives.

First, just some black paint. The craft stores sell paint pens with a sort of ball point pen tip. The examples I have purchased have always been lacquer. So, fill letters, let the paint dry, then use lacquer thinner on a cloth, just dampened, to wipe off the excess on the surface. If the paint is not lacquer you'll have to use paint thinner to clean up before the paint is actually dry. I'd use some cotton cloth material like a bedsheet scrap wrapped around a q-tip and moistened. Not too much because you don't want much thinner to end up in the lettering itself. An excessive amount might keep the paint from drying/curing. Under no circumstances use paper towels to clean up the paint or you will end up with fibers stuck in the lettering.

An alternative would be aluminum blacking: BIRCHWOOD CASEY ALUMINUM BLACK | Brownells Most gun shops should have it. This is dead easy to use; just apply per directions with a q-tip. With most aluminum alloys you will get a decent black finish, though I have seen a few that don't like to be blackened. The black finish is chemical and fairly thin, though, so it doesn't wear too well. In engraved letters, though, it should be OK. This would be my first choice as I always have a bottle around my shop.

You could try Sugru. It is pretty neat stuff but it is more like putty than paint and I'm not sure it would fill and stick in the lettering. If there is a thinner recommended for it, I would try mixing that in and shoot for a consistency more like syrup. That might work. I don't know that there is a thinner though.

HTH

10. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    Thanks for the replies. I really just want the white gone and I don't need to fill in the indentation. I will try the acetone/paint thinner technique first because the grip claims to be anodized aluminium.