1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stupid question about shutter speed...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by txbkst, Nov 17, 2012.

1. txbkst

txbkst Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Hi Everyone,
    I am trying to teach myself the ins and outs of using the camera in manual mode. I know the little box in the bottom left is the shutter speed, but when I read about shutter speeds online I see them referenced as 1/25, etc. Does that correspond to the value of 25 on the EPM1 (there is no 1/)?
    Thanks
    Kim

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Correct. Many cameras do away with the 1/ part.

Note that for shutter speeds longer than a second, the E-PM1 uses " to indicate seconds, so 25 = 1/25 second, but 25" = 25.0 seconds.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Yes the notation is 1/x and if you see x" it is a seconds.

4. txbkst

txbkst Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks for the quick response!

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yes. (BTW- There are no stupid questions.)

The number to the right is the F-Stop/aperture which is also a single digit but is actually a ratio of lens' focal length to the size of the aperture's opening. (So if the F-Stop is shown as "8" it is actually 1:8.)

Gary

6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Full seconds are followed by ("), ie: 8 sec = 8"

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The only stupid question is the one you fail to ask - folks here are always glad to help. :cool:

8. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Correct mostly.

The apertures of photographic lenses are, by convention, almost always calibrated in units expressing the ratio of the focal length of the lens compared to the diameter of the opening. In standard mathmatical formulas relating to optics focal length is always represented by a lower case "f". Therefore "f/stop" is correct and using a hyphen instead of the slash, omitting the punctuation, and using a capital "F" are all incorrect (possible exceptions are to capitalize the "F" when it is the first letter in a sentence or occurs in an English language title).

Since the f/stop numbers are fractions, f/2 is a "large" or "wide" aperture and f/16 is a "small" aperture. Keep in mind that you will all too often read a post where someone reverses the "large" and "small" terms out of ignorance.

Like the common shutter speed display or dial that only shows the fraction's denominator (the number after the "/" in fraction notation or after the ":" in ratio notation) almost all f/stop displays and f/stop rings only show the denominator (e.g. "8" for "f/8"). It is also convention that the more technical markings indicating the lens' focal length and maximum aperture use ratio notation ("1:4" instead of "f/4") for the aperture.