Stupid Olympus MODE DIAL ????

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fiki2304, Sep 23, 2013.

1. fiki2304

fiki2304 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Who ever uses mode dial on ep-x, pl, omd...???

First of all I can not belive that they decidet to put scn, art and stroy options on the omd E-M1 mode dial!!! This is not a toy and I assume that only really advanced amateurs, semi pros and pros will buy it. Nobody of that group of people whant to have scn or photo story mode on the mode dial! The option must be in the camera menus somewhere but not on the bigest dial on the camera body.
    Am i right?

Why the smallest panasonic camera like GF6 has c1,c1,c3 options on the mode dial? With PENs we have to dive into menu to find presets and change it there..

So, you guys from olympus, give us c1,c2,c3 options instead art, scene and story(whe can easily reach this options through super control screen) on the mode dial.:smile:

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, we need the MySets back in the Mode Selection. With the digital mode selection of the pro-grade Olympus models like the E-5, they always had MySets included there. I don't know why they didn't include them in the digital mode selection on the Pen Minis? It would have made so much sense, especially with the Mini's small selection of function buttons. :/

3. fiki2304

fiki2304 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Ok, maybe e-pl must not have prests on the mode dial but e-p5(3) class, omd e-m5 and especially e-m1(serious photographic tool) should have it!
    Just my thoughts..

4. I use the mode dial quite frequently to switch quickly from my normal 'A' position to 'S' when I want to use the camera for street photography.

The presence of filters and scene modes on the dial is fairly logical from the point of view that it is strange to have less software features available on a camera when you spent more money to buy it. I wouldn't use them myself but whose to say there isn't a group of amateurs, advanced amateurs, or paid photographers that would. I believe also that Olympus has allowed a position on the mode dial to be assigned as a 'custom' position in recent models and the E-M1 is likely to feature the same.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The solution on the E-PL5 (and I assume the E-PM2 and E-P5) of allowing Mysets to be assigned to mode dial positions is a reasonable compromise. I only wish that Oly would back-port this feature (and others such as focus peaking, small focus points, Lens IS priority etc) to the E-M5.

OTOH, I agree that using a physical dial for functions that most people use infrequently is a sort of a waste when shutter speed and aperture have to be shared on a fiddly little wheel at the back!

6. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    As I've said before, I don't have a problem with it. My E-M5 goes everywhere with me, and sometimes I hand my camera to other people. iAuto comes particularly in handy when I have my camera set up with some strange settings and just want to hand it to a stranger to take a picture of me and my friends or family.

As Nic mentioned above, you can assign a position on the mode dial to a myset since the E-PM2/E-PL5. On the E-M1, I believe you can set any position on the mode dial to a myset, giving you more potential custom options than you would get with even a camera with dedicated custom slots.

7. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yup...wish it had PASM/iAuto/C1/2/3/Movie on the dial instead of what's on it now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I also wish they would update firmware for the EM5 to include these extra features. It is still selling well and these features make it even more attractive.

9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    They almost got this right, but they managed to mess up the implementation. For some arcane reason they only allow you to change parts of the Myset through the Mode dial. It fails to implement the button reassignments that are part of the Myset. The button reassignments work just fine if you change the Myset through the menus, so it can be done. It seems they just missed copying over that part of the programming when they added switching Mysets through the Mode Dial to the Firmware.

On the E-P5 I was hoping to use the Mode Dial to quickly change between set ups for Native and Legacy lenses. All I really wanted was to reassign FN1 between back button focus and focus peaking through Mysets to save a ton of button presses, but no joy.

Contacting Olympus about it was an exercise in futility as it seems they've had no other reports about the issue (evidently a problem doesn't really exist until they get lots of complaints on something) and they couldn't be bothered to have someone on their end try it for themselves to find out what was going on. Walking them through it step by step, and pointing them to the thread on the problem that started here back with the E-PL5 didn't seem to get them to move off of "you must be doing something wrong, but we don't know what it is". :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  10. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    On my E-P5 I set the 2x2 to switch between FP and Video recording on the rec button

11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Using Mode 3 on the Lever Function gives up half the versatility with the Dial Wheels. Perhaps that's the best compromise since the ISO and WB can be left on Auto most of the time and changed through the SCP when needed.

12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Mysets do not have to be on the Mode dial. As long as you have quick access to them, and they have the option to save the mode within the Myset that should be enough. Additrionally if the Myset could save Mode="unset", you have the option to combine any mode with a Myset.

If someone needs quick access to ART and SCN they also don't need to be on the mode dial. Hands up who needs this?

Basically all this fighting over buttons and dials for easy access could be solved by adding a user defined second SCP. As well as extending customisation to all functions and all controls.

13. fiki2304

fiki2304 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    E-pm2 doesnt have mode dial but it has touch screen as any other newer olympus camera and it is silly how I dont miss mode dial.
    You just press menu button and you get all the option on the screen from the mode dial(scn,art,m,p,s,a,movie...) and setings! It is quicker then hard dial. So with implemantation of this way on bigger cameras they could clean slots on the mode dial on the top of the camera. It would be win win for all of us!