1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stupid LR6/plugin question

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by agentlossing, Apr 7, 2016.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I only recently acquired a version of Lightroom new enough to use with Perfect Effects 9.5 as a plugin, and now I'm confused. When I pull a phot from LR into PE to edit and then save it, it returns to LR as a "stack" but I have no idea how to see my photo with the filters from PE 9.5 applied. However do you do this? It's a silly question for you guys, but it's driving me crazy at the moment. I don't think my finished photo exports out with the PE filters either. What am I not getting?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

perfect effects isn't actually a plugin, it is an external editor to Lightroom. So what happens is your RAW gets converted to a JPEG or TIFF that gets passed to PE. Then it saves your edits to that file as a new standalone JPEG/TIFF that gets stacked with the RAW file as a version. The edits will not go onto the RAW file (or JPEG original).

3. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    ... as a bloody big .PSD file. I see them now! Thank you! There has got to be an easier way to make the two interact. I shall play around some more.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, you need TIFF or PSD for the layers and then they are huge. But you can export those to JPEGs for sharing and they are normal size.

I'm just getting into the whole LR thing myself and there are definitely pros and cons.

5. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've used an older version for a long time, but tended to do my main editing to jpegs in PE since my ancient LR couldn't handle files from my newer cameras. LR along with raw is a ton better at just about everything, but PE still gets me great looks I can't replicate easily in LR. I may just treat them as separate editing tools instead of using PE from within LR.