Stupid GAS question

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
Come on ..... You've got the lenses ... you know you want that EM1ii .... just go out and get it. You won't be disappointed and your existing lenses will thank you for it!

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Come on ..... You've got the lenses ... you know you want that EM1ii .... just go out and get it. You won't be disappointed and your existing lenses will thank you for it!
That’s what I’ve been telling to myself for the last few hours :)
I really like my trusty E-M5 ii, but with the 12-100 the handling isn’t perfect :(

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
The EM1ii and the 12-100 is the perfect match and they feel so good together owing to the great ergonomics of the EM1ii. I know because I have them. That 12-100 stays on my EM1ii forever (unless I'm doing nature and need longer glass, that is.)

I tried the EM5 and just did not like it. Not because of its capabilities (which are good but well exceeded by the EM1ii) but because of the ergonomics and lack of handling.

Go for it my friend, you will not regret it.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I like your approach, but 7 bodies would be a bit over the top :)
I have 6 bodies, though only four get regular use, I don't take all out at once usually two depending on what lenses I fancy using that day. I would unless you need a new camera or lens now see what the EM5 mk3 brings to the table when released.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
If you could afford to buy only one of the two right now, which one would you go for first: Oly 25mm/1.2 or E-M1 II body?
My current gear:
E-M5 II (gripped)
zooms: 7-14/2.8, 12-100/4 and 40-150/2.8
primes: 17/1.8, 25/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8

Ideas and recommendations are much appreciated.
My situation is very different from yours, all my bodies are over 5 years old so the E-M1ii would make a much bigger difference to me.
IF you find you would benefit from faster glass at 25mm the same may not apply to you. It depends very much on what you shoot 25mm isn't actually a preferred focal length for me I usually either go considerably wider or quite a bit longer (over 400mm is probably as common as 25mm).

What is it that you feel your current gear does not provide you? Perhaps rent both an EM1II and a 25mm f1.2 and see how you like them. You may decide it is not worth the money and you are happy with what you have. As with many things, with photography, it is not the gear you own but what you do with it that counts. Will either of those pieces of gear allow you to do something that you are currently unable to do?

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I really like my trusty E-M5 ii, but with the 12-100 the handling isn’t perfect
Perhaps the first thing is to look at getting the Olympus HLD-8 grip, rather than the third party one. I have just got a 12-100 and it feels no different to the 12-40 on my E-M5 Mkii with HLD-8 landscape grip.

User ID

Mu-43 Regular
Come on ..... You've got the lenses ... you
know you want that EM1ii .... just go out
and get it. You won't be disappointed and
your existing lenses will thank you for it !
Definitely.

Ignore that "invest in glass" nonsense
from the parrots who keep repeating
what they hear from each other. Photo
gear for personal use is simply never
an "investment". It's a loss, complete
waste of money. But we do spend it :)

You have many fine lenses, but lack a
real top shelf camera. Contrary to the
the "glassy eyed" cult, it's the camera
that makes the picture, just as it was
formerly the the film. Sure, bodies do
drift toward "obsolescence" quicker
than lenses, but it's only relative to
the next body version. A body on hand
remains as good as the day it was the
latest-bestest thing.

And given that the alternative in your
query is an f/1.2 lens, then it's all the
more reason to get a better camera
instead. NOBODY needs f/1.2, nobody.
They are like chicken teets. If you get
up at dawn every day to milk chickens,
then maybe you're a suitable customer
for an f/1.2 lens.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29294

Get the 17/1.2, 25/1.2 & 75/1.8 and just shoot with those for a while. Hang onto your 12-100/4 but set it aside. You may find that those primes are good enough that you can’t go back to the smaller ones but carrying too much glass isn’t a good idea, either. That will also help you decide if primes or zooms are really your thing.

Louis Dallara

Louis Dallara Fine Art Photography
Real Name
Louis Dallara
If you could afford to buy only one of the two right now, which one would you go for first: Oly 25mm/1.2 or E-M1 II body?
My current gear:
E-M5 II (gripped)
zooms: 7-14/2.8, 12-100/4 and 40-150/2.8
primes: 17/1.8, 25/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8

Ideas and recommendations are much appreciated.
I have both body's and found that upgrading to the E-M1 II body gave me better image quality. I have 7-14/2.8, 60/2.8 and 40-150/2.8 20mm f1.7
I have shot with the 17 mm f1.2 and liked, found used for $800.
I don't have the cash yet and won't do plastic cause the wife would cut my balls off
. lol

Real Name
Greg
More oddball suggestions. If 25mm is your most used, why not the 25mm 1.4? This is my favorite lens in the system. Half the price of the pro lens. I just bought it again, had been using the old 20mm 1.7 for a couple years, which is my second fav.

I understand the desire for E-M1 II, I would like one too. I just don't see the value because I don't need the features. I know I would regret the purchase sooner than later. When it gets down below $800 where I think it should be I'll buy one. If the E-M1 Mark III has telepathic, uncanny eye AF like the Sony's then I might even buy one of those new. On the other hand it's a camera that is likely to keep the user happy for a long time to come. It all depends on the individual I guess.

Greg.

Last edited:

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Get the 17/1.2, 25/1.2 & 75/1.8 and just shoot with those for a while. Hang onto your 12-100/4 but set it aside. You may find that those primes are good enough that you can’t go back to the smaller ones but carrying too much glass isn’t a good idea, either. That will also help you decide if primes or zooms are really your thing.
These are good lenses, no doubt about it. But that wasn't a question of what I like more - primes or zooms. I just like and use both, depending on the situation and subject, zooms generally see more use.

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
More oddball suggestions. If 25mm is your most used, why not the 25mm 1.4? This is my favorite lens in the system. Half the price of the pro lens. I just bought it again, had been using the old 20mm 1.7 for a couple years, which is my second fav.

I understand the desire for E-M1 II, I would like one too. I just don't see the value because I don't need the features. I know I would regret the purchase sooner than later. When it gets down below $800 where I think it should be I'll buy one. If the E-M1 Mark III has telepathic, uncanny eye AF like the Sony's then I might even buy one of those new. On the other hand it's a camera that is likely to keep the user happy for a long time to come. It all depends on the individual I guess.

Greg.
Used to have 20/1.7 - a great little lens, but I didn't get along with its focal length (neither wide, nor standard) and sold it. 25/1.4 has a nice rendering, but it is quite a bit larger than my 25/1.8 and it's not weather sealed. If I do decide to get the lens first, it will be 25/1.2.
Appreciate your advice and reasoning.

Real Name
Richard
And given that the alternative in your
query is an f/1.2 lens, then it's all the
more reason to get a better camera
instead. NOBODY needs f/1.2, nobody.
They are like chicken teets. If you get
up at dawn every day to milk chickens,
then maybe you're a suitable customer
for an f/1.2 lens.
The photographic industry appears to have been getting it all wrong for 50 odd years.

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Went out today and got it :).
Thank you guys and gals, really appreciate your help!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
Well done and congratulations.

You will love it and what it can do, I certainly do.

Enjoy your new experience in photography, just give yourself a little time to find out where everything is and even more time finding out all the lovely things it can do :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom