Stunning Weeds

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Robert Watcher, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

This morning I headed out at 5:300AM to drive around the country to see what I could photograph as the sun rose.

On the way home after getting some landscape images captured - I turned down a beaten up little road to take a shot of some vultures. In this ditch were these amazingly intricate structures on top of what looked to be some type of thistle. And so I turned my camera that way.

After photographing the first setting to show the amazing details in the one head (last image in this set) - - - I came across what looked like matched sets and so photographed those with the focus at different points with each capture.

This first photograph is actually 4 different frames where there was a combination of wide open lens (300mm equivalent from about 6 feet away) with focus on the front set and then the back set of flowers, which were probably 8 inches behind.

When I viewed the area where I took the second image - I came across a visual pattern of the 2 similar smaller flowers stacked on top of each other and the 2 larger flowers mirroring each other on each side. I decided to just use the front flower (I'll call it that anyway) as a focus point and the rest fall off (again they were about 6 to 8 inches behind). I moved the tripod meticulously up and down and sideways to get the viewpoint that was most appealing.

The last image - which I took first - is a combination of 2 different shots taken from the same position. One caught the back edges of the flower and the stalk in perfect focus but the front tips of the flowers were soft - and the other was focused right on the front edges and the back edges fell off in focus because of the close shooting distance and long lens - - - so I just masked out everything in the one shot so that just the front tips layed over top of the the shot with the back edges sharp - - - for a flower fully sharp from front to back.

Taken with Olympus E-PL3 and 40-150 lens (80mm to 300mm equivalent)

• Like Like x 14
  2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hard to call anything that beautiful a weed! Excellent captures!
  3. Robert Watcher

FOR INTERESTS SAKE - here are the two most prominent shots that were used in the first image above - - - the front focus shot at f5.6 (with creamy blurring of background) and then the back focus shot at f16 (with more detail in the background)

The other shots that were used, were in between these settings and focus points

Workflow (I took this screenshot part way through the process - more layers, masking and cloning were on top of this):

• Like Like x 2
  4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Seeing IS The Thing

Thanks for posting. Very nice images and good commentary. :2thumbs:
  5. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    For what it's worth - I think they were purple a couple weeks ago! Sadly I don't know their type though. I caught some last year with my Pentax stuff.

You caught some Great closeup images!
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Stunning weeds by stunning photography....:2thumbs:
  7. Robert Watcher

Thank you all for your comments.

Did you notice the little critter calling the plant "Home" in the last shot of the 3?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    What part of Oregon are you in Jim? I'm in Portland.
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The patterns are fascinating, he light is wondrous - these are excellent!
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Fighting for survival

Captured this today in between rain showers - GX1+45-175X lens

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Excellent images Rob, good photography and post processing :)
    It must have been very still (no wind) I always have problems photographing flowers and the like because there always seems to be a breeze.
    I'm always looking for food for thought to develop my photography and that is good inspiration.
    This one came out ok, 100% crop though.