1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stunning Video with Olympus 45mm1.8

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Bhupinder2002, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I shot this clip on 24th Dec in Melbourne using my EPL2 and 45mm 1.8 mm combo.I love this lens . This is unedited and out of the camera sample.
    Cheers

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpSTHHa1H8s&list=UUy9AEDug0yz0Loj-ljK7PUA&index=1&feature=plcp"]Olympus 45 mm1.8 on EPL2 - YouTube[/ame]

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You had it in auto focus? I noticed the focus drifted a tiny bit at first. Otherwise it was very nice. 45mm would be equivalent to 90mm on m43 which is close to the 85mm that is so loved by many FF photographers.

3. Bhupinder2002

I think it was but subsequent clips are with MF . I will share them soon . No time to upload
    Cheers

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    The only problem with a fast lens on a sunny day is that the camera sets a too high shutter speed..... and you get a slightly jerky/stroboscope looking movement.

The rule of thumb is that if you want to make you videos look more 'film like' then you should shoot at a shutter speed of 1/ 2x the frame rate - typically 1/50 or 1/60 a second.

If you want to shoot wide open on a sunny day you should probably use a ND filter

I know with the E-p1 that I have no control at all over shutter speed when shooting video... and it will select a high shutter speed... and won't let you control the ISO

This was shot on an E-p1 and a 50/2 macro and shows the strobe effect

[ame="http://vimeo.com/24565959"]A Garden in Gent on Vimeo[/ame]

Not to say at all that the 45/1.8 is a bad lens for video... I shot this using it on a GH2 in a dark bar

[ame="http://vimeo.com/33533553"]Paycheck to Paycheck - Vicki Hill & House on Vimeo[/ame]

...and this is the GH2 with the 20/1.7 in an even darker restaurant

[ame="http://vimeo.com/33975102"]Lobster Dinner on Vimeo[/ame]

good to see more people posting and discussing video here... it is very different from still photography... but the tools you have in your hand with micro 4/3 are really quite staggering

K

• Like Like x 1
  5. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    follow up explanation of shutter speed in video here

[ame=http://vimeo.com/25851113]Shutter Speed Difference DSLR Video on Vimeo[/ame]

i have seen other videos by her and they are usually well done and useful

also bookmark cheesycam.com for the latest on video related gadgets and stuff

K

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bhupinder2002

Thank u so much . I am not so much into video ..But would be nice to learn
    Cheers

7. speedandstyle

Yep! If you are going to do any amount of video in the bright you need to get at least one ND filter. semi-pro and pro video cameras have ND filters built into them - it is so nice!.

8. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    To: Kevin Paris

What audio recording equipment and final editing software did you use for the Vicky Hill video?

The sound is excellent and well sync'd.

9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

dan
    thanks for the kind comments

the audio was recorded using a Rode VideoMic Pro that was on a tripod on a table about 10 feet away from the band... the mic was plugged into a Edirol digital recorder.

I also recorded sound on the GH2

The footage was synced and edited in Final Cut Pro X. This app makes it very easy to sync the camera sound with the external sound. There is also a third party app called Pluraleyes that does the same thing for other editing programs

there are a few shots at the start of the video that were taken from other songs.... which don't sync that well...

It was my first time shooting a band... and I hadn't used any of the equipment before!!

K

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Thanks, Kevin. I'm just getting back into video, helpful info.

Dan

11. speedandstyle

For a first time out that was great! You needed a little more of the lead singer and/or less of the banjo. It might actually have been that way live? I know recording live is tricky to say the least. What model of Edirol recorder?

I am still using Final Cut 7 but I want to get the new Final Cut X so bad , but it will have to wait for a while.

12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    dan

I did have second cam that night.. but footage from that stopped every 7 minutes and was grainy as heck.

so the cut you see was me desperately trying to plug the gaps with shots from other songs.. i know next time to get more shots of drums. faces, backs of heads, and other non song associated action

regarding the edirol... think its an r09..... but don't think the actual recorder is relevant.... the concept of recording a continuous master audio track that you can edit to is though

K

13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Nice, but just admit that you are smitten with the mermaid or whatever she is :rofl:

14. speedandstyle

The make and model can be very important. For a music video{which is basically what you made}the quality of the audio is critical. You used half way decent mics and recorder and it shows!

Best setup for audio would be to actually record the music off the sound system itself, but this is often not possible. The next best is to place several mics for optimum pickup and record to an external device.

The more cameras the better! Two will work but three is better. If I had only two cameras I would set one up on sticks and get a shot just wide enough to see the whole band. Then with the second I would shoot the whole thing non-stop moving around and getting closeups from different angles. Being careful not to walk in front of my main camera!

Some might wonder how to sync the cameras and audio. Here is the simplest method - with all cameras pointed at one spot and in front of one mic clap your hands. Then when you edit it , line up the claps.