Stunning beauty! Autumn from my Beauty for All Seasons shoot

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Jan 29, 2013.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    UPDATED WITH SLIGHTLY REVISED IMAGE

Beauty for All Seasons | Autumn

A study of beauty through hair and make-up across the four seasons

Photo by Joe Gunawan | fotosiamo.com
    Model: Joanne Chiang
    Collaboration with Michelle Nicole Ng
    Make-up by Jennifer Toy
    Hair by Rochelle Dingman

Shot with the Panasonic GH2 with Olympus 75mm f/1.8 lens

Lit with an Einstein with a gridded 22" beauty dish camera left and an Einstein with a gridded 7" reflector that is flagged on the right side.

• Like Like x 9
  2. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Here are a couple of behind-the-scenes shots. For each look, the model laid on the ground facing up and I shot her from the 2nd story balcony

8425936553_5a78e5cfd2_c.

8425936559_664d635a82_c.

• Like Like x 5
  3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    No comments?

4. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    Hi,

Great picture, she's really beautiful and I like the catchlights in her eyes. However her face looks unnatural for my taste ( too much skin retouching ?).

5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Great image concept and I appreciate showing how you captured it!

I often wonder about this with the 75mm f1.8 (and also the 45mm f1.8). They are certainly sharp, but for portraits it almost seems like they are almost TOO sharp, requiring quite a bit of skin smoothing that can look over the top in many cases (not necessarily this one). Its interesting because both are billed as portrait lenses.

6. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    The 75mm f/1.8 is incredibly sharp and I was surprised at how much skin details and fine hairs got picked up.

As for the skin retouching, part of it is actually the make-up texture, which is a tad too heavy even in the unretouched version. That said, I made sure that I didn't plasticize the skin, which is evident on the larger resolution version.

But skin-retouch at this caliber is a must for a beauty shoot =)

7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The way the facial features of a person looks is affected by gravity. Things like cheeks hang differently if a person is standing up than if the person is lying on their back looking straight up and being photographed from directly above. I think part of the reason for the face looking unnatural is simply because it isn't natural to look at a face in that way and some facial features aren't quite in the same position as they would be if you were looking at the model standing upright so she looks unnatural partly because her cheeks aren't in their "natural" position. Neither is her hair, and for the same reason.

Photograph a friend in the same position and don't bother with retouching. They won't look quite natural either.

8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I think this is some fine portrait photography. And I appreciate letting us in on the inside scoop/behind-the-scenes info. I think your retouching was absolutely fine. You can see the pores on her skin still so obviously not oversmoothed. My guess was going to be overcaked makeup and you did confirm just that.

Nonetheless, fabulous portraiture! Makes me wish I had the patience to learn strobist/flash techniques and build a lighting setup (not to mention being able to get models to shoot). Hope to see more of your work in the near future on this site.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Yes, that's what I noticed, too, when I started shooting her.

I don't usually do this, but I'm going to post the unretouched version so you can see the difference in what I did (yes, including liquify. I don't hesitate to use it when needed), as well as to see how her skin looks originally. In this case, I lifted her cheeks and brought in her jawline a bit. I didn't liquify her eyes, nose, and mouth, though.

Oh, plus it was cold, so I had to retouched all the goosebumps out, lol!

Unretouched
    FotosiamoBeautyforAllSeasonsAutumnBefore_zpsbc4bce97.

Retouched

• Like Like x 1
  10. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks! I do shoot quite most of my fashion/commercial work with micro 4/3 actually. You can see them at my website, Fotosiamo.com

• Like Like x 1
  11. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Thanks for posting, beautiful model and really interesting to see your set up. I use the soft focus filter on the EM5 and the 75mm 1.8 for portraits. I still think that yours is just a tiny bit too unreal looking. It's a very fine line and tricky to get just so. Around the mouth just doesn't look quite right. Love to see more of your work :)

12. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Thanks for sharing your setup, the "behind-the-scenes" shot was neat. To me her skin looks artificial (like in a lot of fashion/magazine-type images), although your untouched photo shows that makeup is part of the issue. Anyway, it's a good image and concept.

13. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    The interface on that website was very visually appealing though I don't know if it was my web browser (Safari) that wasn't cooperating. I couldn't get past your first 2 (awesome btw, especially the 1st) from left. :2thumbs:

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    this is an awesome shot, but to me the retouching "overcooked" the shot a little bit. theres two things i see here,

yes m43 can do professional fashion shoots for A4/A3 publications no problem at all. and your shot shows that. awesome!

the retouching is totally different to what camera or setup was used, and i believe getting rid of almost texture in the skin is too much. specially cause it shows the "fake-ness" on the edges of the lips, and nose were original skin textures blends with the rest... not sure if it makes sense... also the softness plus doge and burn on the shoulders makes her look almost like she was clear cut and pasted in that bed of leaves... also a tiny bit over sharpned for my taste.

just my 0.00000002 cents.

great work nonetheless!

15. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I do see what you mean around her lips in regards to missed areas that can be balanced out in retouching. The hard part about having to smoothing her face in particular was because I had to minimize the make-up texture.

Yea, I think I can probably lower the sharpening just a tad more than what I've already dialed back. I use high-pass sharpening on a separate layer for that, then mask out the skin. Ironically, I did very little dodge and burning on the shoulders.

One thing that I don't like about the GH2, which I hope the GH3 will be better at, is that it doesn't hold up as well as I want when lifting the shadows up and introduces color casts/shifts, which I have to correct with with localized curve/color balance adjustment layers and/or the blending the color in the low frequency layer of the frequency separation retouching technique.

It's not as bad on burning, but I do wish that it can handle dodging and burning a bit better.

16. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    opinion as a jolly Mu-43 user: Great shot. I could not have done this.

opinion as a "I know everything" persona:

The leaves are not covering the background completely, I find it very distracting.
    I spent a few minutes trying to figure out if this was a real person or a doll. Image processing is absolutely unnatural.
    Airbrushed magazine shots are only obvious to those who work in the profession, this is obvious to everyone.

If you didn't mind and let me give it a shot in Lightroom I would most definitely would try and see if i could come up with a natural finish for this image.

17. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I actually don't want all of the leaves to cover the background, because the color of that background is important for the overall look.

I keep looking at the image that I'm working in Photoshop and I'm wondering, why is it looking really good there, but not online. I did tone down the high-pass filter sharpening.

I also realize that I added sharpening when I exported from Lightroom, which now overcooks the sharpening and consequently made the relatively smooth skin look even more smooth by contrast.

That said, I'm not about making the most "natural" or super-realistic look, but a more idealized, commercial, polished look. I can see where I went just a tad over with her, but a lot of it is because the make-up was too cakey and I had to compensate for that.

Here is the original, followed by the revised version with toned down high-pass filter sharpening and no Lightroom export sharpening:

BEFORE

AFTER

18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The toned down shot does look better than the "BEFORE" version, but ultimately, the problem lies with the heavy make-up, IMHO, which appeared overdone on one hand, but increased the roughness of the skin on the other hand...

19. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I do agree, because the best part of the skin and easiest to work on was her neck and chest. No overdone make-up.

20. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    Did she do her own make up?