1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stumbled across the 75mm/f1.8 today...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by hankbaskett, Oct 15, 2012.

1. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I popped by my local camera store while I was out running errands, and as usual asked if any of the lenses on my mental checklist were in stock (currently the 60mm/f2.8 macro and 75mm/f1.8). Lo and behold, they had the 75mm there. I didn't have my OMD with me, but after reading the reviews, I figured that I wanted to at least give it a try... I have a pretty good relationship with those guys, so if I didn't like it, returning it wouldn't be a problem.

Well, after getting it home and giving it a test run, there's no way it will be getting returned. What a beautiful lens! After popping it out of the box, feeling the weight and seeing the build quality of it, it's already my favourite piece of glass in terms of appearance and quality. The 12mm is very, very nice, but the large orb of the 75mm does it for me. The 45mm is obviously a step down, but still a favourite of mine, and the Pannys I own perform well, but are outclassed by the Olympus offerings in terms of appearance and build quality.

Anyway, back to what really matters, the quality of the pictures. 2 things struck me about this lens, the sharpness and the bokeh. Subjectively, I've never had a sharper lens, and I've never had a lens that renders bokeh so nicely. I realize that bokeh is very subjective, but to my eye, it's incredibly pleasing on the 75mm.

Those are my first impressions. It's an expensive piece of kit, but if you can afford it, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I plan on doing some comparisons with my 12, 20, 25 and 45, so I'll add those later on!

• Like Like x 1
  2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I think the 75/1.8 is probably worth buying an m4/3 body even if you had no other interest in the m4/3 system. :smile:

I'd be very interested in the 20/2 comparison. I'm experiencing a good bit of disappointment in the one I just got. :frown:

3. pykers

pykers Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    I look forward to your review! I'm slowly transitioning from a Canon kit to all M43 and this lens is on my short list. The online reviews are good but I like to read feedback from community users.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :smile:
    Once this lens was announced, there was no thought for me other than how to get it as soon as possible.

Enjoy it! :cool:

5. pfillion

pfillion New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2012
    Montreal
    Patrick
    I'm also very tempted to purchase this lens.