Stuff that you sold and recently purchased back. Why, and how many times? yet another self help thread

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't believe I've ever done this. There are repurchases of things that were lost, damaged, or stolen. There are things I sold when I was young and poor that are now too expensive to replace. Nowadays I do a lot of research and thinking before a purchase, and tend to hold on to things once I've spent my hard earned cash, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I remember reading an article about Alex Majoli buying multiple Olympus C-5060s and hanging them together around his neck at different lengths for street photography. This allowed him to fire a burst with one camera, then grab another camera to fire another burst while the others were still writing to the card. So buying a camera multiple times might not actually be a bad thing.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I remember reading an article about Alex Majoli buying multiple Olympus C-5060s and hanging them together around his neck at different lengths for street photography. This allowed him to fire a burst with one camera, then grab another camera to fire another burst while the others were still writing to the card. So buying a camera multiple times might not actually be a bad thing.
Yep, and of course buying multiple bodies for event shooting where you have different lenses attached to each body. It simplifies things if all bodies are the exact same make/model. But I don't think that's what this thread is about.

I've done a bit of shooting with 2 bodies, and occasionally with a third body thrown in. Note, I don't own multiple bodies of the same make/model, but use the bodies of previous cameras after I upgraded the main body. Usually with 2 bodies, I have a wide angle/normal lens on one body and a telephoto lens on the other. Other times, one camera is set up for video, and the other for stills. Sometimes it is a body with a flash attached and the other setup for low light work.

If I'm not using a tripod (which I normally do for video shoots), I have various methods of coordinating which camera is which, such as putting using shoulder straps, and putting the wide angle camera on the left shoulder and the telephoto camera on the right, or if one camera is the main camera, having the other camera in the shoulder bag ready to shoot, so that I can draw out the second camera without taking my eyes off of the subject.

And realistically if you are trying to capture images at an event, you should have backups for the gear. Perhaps not the same model of both camera/lens, but enough to let you get images if something happens to your main gear.

Lets see, I do recall in the past, taking at least 4 cameras to an event shoot: the main video camera, the main stills camera, and backups for both video and stills (plus of course the smartphone camera that is the ultimate backup). It makes it an interesting challenge if each of the cameras use a different battery type, so you need to carry 3-4 batteries of multiple makes. Most of these events were shooting renaissance faires, which were 2 days of faire held on the weekend. Saturday after shooting, I would need to make sure all of the batteries were properly charged for Sundays shooting.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Now, have I bought multiple copies of things? Yes, mostly vintage lenses and cameras that were so cheap I couldn't resist. At some point I reckon I'll pick favorites and put up the dupes for sale.

I purchased and sold 12-40 two times. Current copy I have is the 3rd 12-40. The first time I sold it because I thought I will go purist and only shoot primes (with m43). Then I realized 12-40 is as good as prime so I bought it again on the cheap but it did not come with a box and hood was scratched. I was a serial-browser then on FM buy-sale forum. Spotted a clean 12-40 with box and stuff and purchased it immediately. Fortunately, there is no shortage of buyers for 12-40.

I don't think I will sell it again now!

In Nikon: Nikkor 55mm macro versions. I transacted that lens 3 times and still have an immaculate 2.8. But it was sold purely because I kept finding "better" looking 55mm on FM. Then the 200-500. It is a problem child lens and I landed two of them which had tilted focal plane. Got lucky the third time. The last one is just regret: 70-300 AF-P DX VR. An incredible $150 lens which I got rid of when I sold off Nikon DX gear. It was such a great lens though, when I moved to Nikon Z6 I bought the FX version of the same but somehow I always felt the DX version besides being cheap was better than FX.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
OK this is from fuzzy memory
2x Panasonic 14-45, the second was sold when I got a 12-32 and just stopped using it
4x Olympus 17 2.8, second one was sold off when I mostly dropped m43 for a bit (mistake) third when I got a 1,8 version and I just picked up a fourth as it makes for a good small combo with an E-PL line of cameras.
2x 20mm first I got an Oly 25mm 1.8 and the AF drove me nuts the second came with the first GX7 I got so really I just flipped it.
3x Panasonic 12-32 first was along with the temp dropping of the system when I came back it was one of the first lenses I got the 3rd came with the GM1 and its a spare.
3x GX7 kept two when previously running the system then when the big mistake happened.. I picked one up a good bit ago as it came up silly cheep
Some place between 5 and 7 G3's one got pinched with the first 17 2.8 then I replaced that one as I liked the red body, sold the first black one when I got an E-PM2 then sold the spare black one when I got the first GX7's. Sold them all when the move was done and then I saw a miss listed one for silly cheep could not resist so bought it and that set me off again, found a white one that I still have and have since bought and sold a couple of them for a bit of profit.
I have never kept a mk1 14-42 for long, I must have sold off at least 10.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom