Stuff that you sold and recently purchased back. Why, and how many times? yet another self help thread

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I have owned (and sold) the Olympus 12-50 three times, but only once by choice. The other two times it came with bundles which had other lenses I wanted. The only lens I have bought back after selling is the plastic fantastic O40-150.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Slightly off topic I use to buy and re-sell the Nikon 80-400 AF VR lens every year or so for longer vacations. Keeping it for a month or so and re-selling it was cheaper than renting it for that amount of time.

When I first got 'serious' about the hobby I was using Canon. I bought and sold lots of stuff to try it, rather than follow the oft-offered advice to rent before you buy. Ten years ago it was easy to do that and come out no worse than break even, as long as you were a bit patient. I definitely was a repeat purchaser of numerous items back then.

I know I won't be alone in admitting that I really enjoy the 'playing with gear' part of the hobby. So while constantly changing out your gear, or even changing formats, is very unattractive if you're a pro or you don't deal well with change, for me it was a big part of the fun.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
When I first got 'serious' about the hobby I was using Canon. I bought and sold lots of stuff to try it, rather than follow the oft-offered advice to rent before you buy. Ten years ago it was easy to do that and come out no worse than break even, as long as you were a bit patient. I definitely was a repeat purchaser of numerous items back then.

I know I won't be alone in admitting that I really enjoy the 'playing with gear' part of the hobby. So while constantly changing out your gear, or even changing formats, is very unattractive if you're a pro or you don't deal well with change, for me it was a big part of the fun.
It was fun when I got into m4/3, after all the prices compared to Nikon FX :thumbup:. I could buy 4-5 maybe even 6 lenses for what I spent on my Nikon 70-200 V2.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I purchased the E-M5iii 3 times, but only had to sell it once. The other 2 times were inside the return window. I guess that counts in a strange way, since I no longer own one. That honor goes to the G9, which I purchased no less than 4 times. Granted, purchase #3 went back to Amazon when I found a G9 kit from Adorama that cost less (no sales tax) and even came with a free $200 tripod. #4 might be a keeper. :D

That’s all for now, I’ll save my lens purchasing shame for another day. Honestly, I think so much of this happens when I get into one of those ”smaller is better“ or minimalist kicks.

I don’t just get the credit for this thread, but I‘m also a client!

Real Name
Andrew L
I'm shopping another P20. The number of times I've done this can't be counted on one hand. I might even have to take a sock off to count.
I'm on my third! Originally bought a silver v2 to go with the EM10, sold it. Repurchased a black v2 for my GX85, eventually sold it with the GX9 when I took a break from Panasonic M4/3. Bought a used version 1 along with an EM5 awhile back (turned into an EM5ii but still has the 20mm on it). It's the lens that comes back, no matter how many times you drive it miles away and drop it off at the side of the road!

Such a fun thread! And here I thought I was weird.

What did I buy again after selling before?
- 1x the 12-32mm. I had one and another came with a kit, now both are sold but I wonder if I need another one because it's so small yet so sharp... as opposed to
- 2x the 14-42mm EZ. They always come with kits and I always test them against the Panny to conclude that yes, it's still not as wide and, more importantly, just not very sharp.
- 1x the 12-40 PRO. My first model was a dud, it didn't compare favourably against my 12-60 at the time. My second one is a gem. Keeper
- 1x the 12-45 F4 PRO... Jumped on it really early when it cost more than the f2.8 zoom. Was disappointed about the build at that price. Re-bought later when prices were better and it's one of my favorite lens, always have a hard time choosing between it and the bigger zoom because the results are so close.
- at least 2x the 12-60 Lumix plastic kit lens. So cheap yet quite good, very light, good reach, so cheap, and weather sealed, did I mention they can be had for quite cheap? No Olympus lens can match it at the price level. But once I'd commited to Olympus I had to sell it because different zoom direction.
- at least 3x the Oly 17mm f1.8. I love it, it's not sharp, I hate it, but the bokeh is nice, I love it, the Panasonic is sharper, I hate it, but the results always turn out good, I love it, it does look better in black, doesn't it? Currently owning w/ no plan of selling :)
-
1x the PanaLeica 15mm / DJI 15mm lens - it's quite sharp but also quite contrasty with punchy and saturated colors, which doesn't fit every situation. So I sold it once, thought the Leica branding was quite pretentious and expensive. The aperture ring is useless on my Olympus bodies. But there is no sharp equivalent prime from Olympus, so I own it again after finding a really cheap DJI version online. Likely it will be sold again because a 28mm equiv. just moved in (the Ricoh GR I)
- 1x the E-M5 mark iii. The plasticky build was a real turnoff after using the E-M10 ii for several years. Bought it in the wrong color, too, because only black was discounted. I don't like fully articulating screens that much. But there is simply no other camera out there that can pack all of these features in such a small package. So I bought a used model later, for a good price, and in the correct color. It doesn't bother me that the silver is all plastic, and I've grown quite fond of it, except for the crappy battery life.
- 2x the E-M1 Mark ii - I owned one before and used it as my out-and-about camera just hanging off my shoulder all weathersealed like. But I had to admit I'm not a pro photographer, nor am I aspiring to be, and my hands will not grow any larger. If it were a person you could say that we never clicked on an emotional level, so I sold it. :rolleyes-38: Few months later I found a really good used deal so I jumped on it, because I do love that large battery and grip, and I missed having an E-M1 around. But I still don't love fully articulating screens nor do I like LCD viewfinders. And since having a kid I have less time and room to roam around with a large camera. So I'm currently in the process of selling my second one. From now on, only small cameras for this daddy with small hands please. :wink: If it needs its own bag, it's too large.

but none of these are any match for
- at least 4 times the Olympus E-M1 Mark i :coco:
Similar to the 17mm f1.8 from Olympus, I have such a long love-hate relationship with this camera it's ridiculous.
The pro and con list is almost equally long and I do crave that grip and build from time to time.
Coming from the E-M10 mark ii, this was my first real upgrade. So many buttons. Perfect size, a nice shape in the hand. Weather sealed. That big battery, with cheap and abundant spares available. Really solid build. Larger EVF. Lots of cheap accessories available. Battery grip, Arca rail, and so forth. Lots of people selling their whole kit for cheap.
But the EVF was lacking contrast, and looked washed out. I was often under-exposing to compensate for a lack of dark tones that I could see in the EVF (I was used to the OLED evf from the 10.2). There was no way to change the focus point with the touch screen when the camera was at eye level. I missed that. The sensor, while quite good, has a tendency for warmer tones, and is known for being more noisy than any other sensor that succeeded it. That was always counterintuitive to me - that the bigger 'pro' cam actually had a worse sensor than the little E-M10ii.
And that damn rear dial. Broken on almost every model, skipping numbers randomly.
My last E-M1, I asked the seller to check, he confirmed there were no issues. It was quite cheap. When I got it, it had the faulty rear dial again. The seller never replied to me anymore.
I used it as a premium webcam for working from home during the pandemic. We still have a pandemic, and I still work from home. My employer supplied me with a new 1080p webcam. Its worse than the E-M1 with a 17mm f1.2 or a 15mm f1.7. But a lot cheaper. And quite honestly good enough. 🤷‍♂️
So I sold that one also, and to make room for the Mark ii. That was the only one I sold at a loss.
Used prices are quite compelling now, below 200€ around these parts. But I doubt I will ever buy one again. This relationship is finally over. Or is it?

Last edited:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon

- 1x the 12-32mm. I had one and another came with a kit, now both are sold but I wonder if I need another one because it's so small yet so sharp... as opposed to
- 2x the 14-42mm EZ. They always come with kits and I always test them against the Panny to conclude that yes, it's still not as wide and, more importantly, just not very sharp.
- 1x the 12-40 PRO. My first model was a dud, it didn't compare favourably against my 12-60 at the time. My second one is a gem. Keeper
- at least 2x the 12-60 Lumix plastic kit lens. So cheap yet quite good, very light, good reach, so cheap, and weather sealed, did I mention they can be had for quite cheap? No Olympus lens can match it at the price level. But once I'd commited to Olympus I had to sell it because different zoom direction.
- at least 3x the Oly 17mm f1.8. I love it, it's not sharp, I hate it, but the bokeh is nice, I love it, the Panasonic is sharper, I hate it, but the results always turn out good, I love it, it does look better in black, doesn't it? Currently owning w/ no plan of selling :)
-
1x the PanaLeica 15mm / DJI 15mm lens - it's quite sharp but also quite contrasty with punchy and saturated colors, which doesn't fit every situation. So I sold it once, thought the Leica branding was quite pretentious and expensive. The aperture ring is useless on my Olympus bodies. But there is no sharp equivalent prime from Olympus, so I own it again after finding a really cheap DJI version online. Likely it will be sold again because a 28mm equiv. just moved in (the Ricoh GR I)
- 1x the E-M5 mark iii. The plasticky build was a real turnoff after using the E-M10 ii for several years. Bought it in the wrong color, too, because only black was discounted. I don't like fully articulating screens that much. But there is simply no other camera out there that can pack all of these features in such a small package. So I bought a used model later, for a good price, and in the correct color. It doesn't bother me that the silver is all plastic, and I've grown quite fond of it, except for the crappy battery life.
- 2x the E-M1 Mark ii - I owned one before and used it as my out-and-about camera just hanging off my shoulder all weathersealed like. But I had to admit I'm not a pro photographer, nor am I aspiring to be, and my hands will not grow any larger. If it were a person you could say that we never clicked on an emotional level, so I sold it. :rolleyes-38: Few months later I found a really good used deal so I jumped on it, because I do love that large battery and grip, and I missed having an E-M1 around. But I still don't love fully articulating screens nor do I like LCD viewfinders. And since having a kid I have less time and room to roam around with a large camera. So I'm currently in the process of selling my second one. From now on, only small cameras for this daddy with small hands please. :wink: If it needs its own bag, it's too large.

Similar to the 17mm f1.8 from Olympus, I have such a long love-hate relationship with this camera it's ridiculous.
The pro and con list is almost equally long and I do crave that grip and build from time to time.
Coming from the E-M10 mark ii, this was my first real upgrade. So many buttons. Perfect size, a nice shape in the hand. Weather sealed. That big battery, with cheap and abundant spares available. Really solid build. Larger EVF. Lots of cheap accessories available. Battery grip, Arca rail, and so forth. Lots of people selling their whole kit for cheap.
But the EVF was lacking contrast, and looked washed out. I was often under-exposing to compensate for a lack of dark tones that I could see in the EVF (I was used to the OLED evf from the 10.2). There was no way to change the focus point with the touch screen when the camera was at eye level. I missed that. The sensor, while quite good, has a tendency for warmer tones, and is known for being more noisy than any other sensor that succeeded it. That was always counterintuitive to me - that the bigger 'pro' cam actually had a worse sensor than the little E-M10ii.
And that damn rear dial. Broken on almost every model, skipping numbers randomly.
My last E-M1, I asked the seller to check, he confirmed there were no issues. It was quite cheap. When I got it, it had the faulty rear dial again. The seller never replied to me anymore.
I used it as a premium webcam for working from home during the pandemic. We still have a pandemic, and I still work from home. My employer supplied me with a new 1080p webcam. Its worse than the E-M1 with a 17mm f1.2 or a 15mm f1.7. But a lot cheaper. And quite honestly good enough. 🤷‍♂️
So I sold that one also, and to make room for the Mark ii. That was the only one I sold at a loss.
Used prices are quite compelling now, below 200€ around these parts. But I doubt I will ever buy one again. This relationship is finally over. Or is it?
⬆️ best post yet ⬆️

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have bought and sold 100-400 lenses twice, each time for a specific photo safari. It is a large, heavy, and expensive special-purpose lens IMO. I both cases my net cost to buy for the trip and resell afterwards was small, well under what a lens rental would have cost.

I actually bought and resold a 100-300 maybe 10 years ago for our first safari. Sometime later I did end up buying another copy but I don't remember why. My current lens inventory is 9-18, 12-200, and 100-300. It's unlikely we'll go to Africa again, but if we do I will probably be a temporary owner of a 100-400 again.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've never sold and repurchased anything, ever. I only sell stuff when:

A. There is sufficient resale value to justify the hassle involved.
2. I'm certain I'll never want the item again.

I did however buy a camera for my daughter and then I bought it back from her at a later date, so I have bought the very same item twice.

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
this.

this entire thread was driven by this simple plan: re-buy the 17mm f1.8 not feeling guilty

After all, that would just be my first repurchase. why should I feel guilty?

Real Name
Andrew L
I have parted out and sold 2x of the Panasonic 12-32mm lens from kits (GM1 and GM5). Thought I didn't need them. Got a third with the GX85 and held onto it, eventually it went to my wife's GF7, but when that unfortunately went missing on a trip I recently bought another (4th one in my household) for her replacement used G100.

Real Name
Walter

- 1x the 12-45 F4 PRO... Jumped on it really early when it cost more than the f2.8 zoom. Was disappointed about the build at that price. Re-bought later when prices were better and it's one of my favorite lens, always have a hard time choosing between it and the bigger zoom because the results are so close.
-

Whoa, I think you take the cake for turnover royalty!

Whoa, I think you take the cake for turnover royalty!
Yeah... thanks... I guess?

I believe it has to do with not wanting to own stuff you don't need. My first E-M1 purchase was driven by a desire to have a weather sealed body for a hiking trip. I did not desire a new camera body otherwise. Resolutely, I sold the E-M1, directly after the trip, to calm my conscience - I didn't need it before the trip, so why should I have it after the trip?
The answer is because I quite liked shooting with it, it was unique in my kit, it wasn't expensive, and I could afford it (because let's be honest, hiking is a cheap hobby).
But I sold it promptly, which I regretted afterwards.
Thus began the love-hate story.
The camera has a couple of downsides.
But newer cameras aren't straight upgrades, and have their own set of issues.
Improving image quality is less impressive when camera size and weight increase with it.

The other part is because I don't want to spend lots on my hobby, and enjoy getting a good deal online. So, searching for good offers, contacting sellers, looking for good used gear is part of the fun for me. There is no fun to be had in just going to the store and buying whatever you need for the price the store is asking. Anyone could do that.
I only did that with my first camera, and ended up buying a camera for 650€ that was available online for about 400€ shortly thereafter, and which I subsequently sold for under 200€.
Good way to burn money, that. Just like I wouldn't buy a new car, who does that?

So as I said, it was only the last E-M1 where I lost money. All others, I came out even, or with a small gain - to fund the hobby, of course. The money I actually earn comes from my day job.

this.

this entire thread was driven by this simple plan: re-buy the 17mm f1.8 not feeling guilty

After all, that would just be my first repurchase. why should I feel guilty?

To be fair, the lens has a lot of sample variation. It's okay to try a second one.
My first or second one was actually badly decentered, every shot came out really blurry on one side.
Luckily, the seller supplied me with the invoice so I could get a repair/replacement from Oly.

If you want to be happy with the 17 f1.8 you have to play to its strengths. Take it to a family gathering. Don't take it to the mountains, because it's not a great landscape lens.
Imagine my surprise that not only the 12-40 Pro but also the 12-45mm are both sharper than the 17mm and also my beloved 25mm 1.8 Olympus prime. A lens which I hold in very high regard.
Horses for courses.

Last edited:

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Firstly, bought and sold 2 Pana 14mm. I kept telling myself they were 'as good as' the PL15mm.
This was finally decided in the negative when I actually got my lovely 15mm.
Sold a nice Oly EM5 ii because I wanted to try a 'rangefinder style.
So I went GX8...GX85....Pana G7 [for less than a week] and then back to a EM5 ii.
I actually missed the Oly menu :hmmm: but mostly the IBIS, the form-factor and the [hacked] in body focus stacking.
Oh, and I'm on my second Pana 14-42mm ii. Not sure if the first copy was a dud but the current one is a cracker and has stopped me thinking about the more expensive walk-around zoom options.

Last edited:

melanieylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As per the OP, I haven't repurchased anything recently; however I did recently sell an O45/1.8 which was my second copy of a lens I thought I "ought to have". First sold after acquiring PL45/2.8 macro, then purchased again when I swapped that for O60/2.8 macro. I thought I couldn't bear to have two lenses of same length... then I got Sigma 56/1.4 and sold O45 again, because I never really liked it, I only thought I "ought to like it"! Now I've got S56 and O60 and am not freaking out about their almost-same length 😂

Other things:
Olympus XZ-2 owned twice
Fujifilm X10 owned twice
Fujifilm X30 owned twice (kept the second one)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom