Stuff that you sold and recently purchased back. Why, and how many times? yet another self help thread

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So the idea comes from this post @Darmok N Jalad owns the rights to the idea, we'll split the profits if we make any.

What stuff have you recently purchased back, that you sold in the past? Why did you sell it, why did you purchase it back, how many times did you do back an forth on that specific item? is there more returning items on your wishlist?

I'll go first: last week I repurchased a 12-40 f2.8. Sold it initially because it was overlapping (and still is) my 12-100 f4 in terms of focal lenght. Then I realized that the extra stop is actually useful, and the lens is packing a unique amount of versatility. Awesome quality in a very light package. At the time I was planning to pick a "normal" zoom also for my Sony FF kit (Tamron 28-75 f.28 or Sony 24-105 f4?), that would have introduced one additional duplication in my kit makign it look like a very smart idea to sell it. BS, I ended postponing the FF lens and missing the Zuiko:)

This is my only repurchase of this item, hopefully my last. My current wishlist includes more returning items, proving an inclination to repeat offending: I'm tracking both the Olympus 17mm f1.8 (m43) and the Samyang 35mm f2.8. I'm also evaluating if I want a smaller body than my Pen F, and therefore an Em10.ii could be in the list. One of the two lenses is very likely in the next weeks, om the small body need to think more.

@Saledolce I've gone through this process a number of times due to the wide catalogue, GAS, and making hasty decisions. I had to go through a self-improvement plan to avoid doing this going forward:
  • 15mm 1.7 vs. 17mm 1.8 // bought-sold each 2x, finally landing on the 17.
  • 45mm // bought-sold 2x from overlap concerns with 45-150 and 12-45... last copy is still in the kit because its just too hard to part with regardless.
  • Laowa 9mm // bought-sold 2x because I wasn't sure about the focal length and usage frequency... now have the 10mm f/2 and haven't looked back.
  • EM10 vs. EM10 II // bought-sold each before going to an EPL7 but came back to the EM10 after realizing just how good of a camera it really was. I have 2 now that I spent less than 400 on used... it's the model for me.
This entire journey has been a costly learning process. The choices in m43 is like no other system, quality is exceptional past smartphones and into the professional arena for many. For myself, it came down to some exploration, trial and error, and new-found patience.

I keep returning to golf club analogy I was told: it doesn't matter if you have the latest clubs, if your fundamentals suck then you might as well use a broom 🧹. You just need something to build skills that's comfortable, gives room to grow and carries you for a while. My current kit remains far more capable than I am.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So far in the roughly 13 years or so using Olympus interchangeable lens cameras I have somehow managed to never have re-purchased something I previously had and sold. Maybe I am weird that way in that usually once I choose one I stick with it. If the one I bought is good enough, then I work with it and try not to do that "I wonder how this compares to the other one" thing like having the Oly 25mm and wondering if I need to buy the Panasonic 25mm and have a shootout between them. To reference @thatnormguy 's golf analogy, if I am not getting close to the hole in one with the Oly, why would the Panasonic be any better?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm shopping another P20. The number of times I've done this can't be counted on one hand. I might even have to take a sock off to count.
But why? What do you keep hoping you will get, then not get, then hope anew? I think you have a problem for which no support group exists. "Hello, my name is @WT21 and I'm a P20-aholic."

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Well if you look at my DPReview gear page you'll see there are over 30 things I've owned more than once and about a dozen I've owned three or more times.

Currently I have the O9mm BCL, P14mm, and P20mm. All 3 mainly because they pair well with my Pen F.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
But why? What do you keep hoping you will get, then not get, then hope anew? I think you have a problem for which no support group exists. "Hello, my name is @WT21 and I'm a P20-aholic."
Personally I like focal length, size, and speed (f/1.7) of the P20. The speed (AF) annoys the heck out of me.

I can certainly see myself selling the P20 (again) and PL25 for the upcoming O20 f/1.4 Pro.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
My Pentax era was filled with this malady, and speeded my transition to :mu43: in an attempt to develop new habits.
It hasn't quite worked, as flings with FT lenses and manual primes keep me in the GAS whirlpool. I've owned perhaps four GX7s and three GX85s, and a two or more 12-60 lenses.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Personally I like focal length, size, and speed (f/1.7) of the P20. The speed (AF) annoys the heck out of me.
Davidzvi understands, and absence makes the heart grow founder. When it's gone, I forget how annoying the AF is. It also has to do with cycling bodies. I went to the G85 and then G9. P20 was odd on those. I got a GX95 back, so the P20 has a potential home now.

Real Name
Walter
The only time I sold and re-purchased something was a 12-40 f2.8 Pro. I originally bought it with an EM1 way back. I loved it and took it traveling, I previously had a 12-50 kit lens and the IQ and snap of the 12-40 impressed the heck out of me. But, I wanted something a little longer so it would be even better as a walkaround lens, without having to swap lenses all the time. Then the 12-100 f4 Pro came out. However, I bought a used ZD 12-60 SWD because it was cheaper, and I really liked it, although it felt like almost twice as heavy and big as the 12-40 especially considering the MMF-3 adapter I had to use. Then I realized that the 12-100 was actually smaller and lighter than the 12-60 SWD+MMF-3, and was 40 mm longer. So, I bought a 12-100 reconditioned, and sold both the 12-60 SWD and the 12-40 to help pay for it. Well..., move along a few years, and I missed the smaller, yet faster 12-40. I didn't have anything in between the P12-32 and the 12-100 that was relatively small, great IQ, and weather-sealed. DOH... the 12-40 would fit in that slot. When it came up on an outlet sale (before OMDS jacked up the outlet prices), I bought it back for about the same price I sold mine. Hahaha...

As my friend reminded me, "never get rid of good glass." Yup, das rite.

Last edited:

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I'm with you on the 20/1.7 being my most sold and re-purchased lens. The 45/1.8 is up there as well. I actually once repurchased the exact same lens I sold.
Tried both the O45 and P42.5. Haven't repurchased either, I found I prefer something a little longer and have the S56 now.

Don't know if I've ever repurchased the same item, I was tempted to buy a camera back from someone I sold it to when they listed it for sale a year later.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Slightly off topic I use to buy and re-sell the Nikon 80-400 AF VR lens every year or so for longer vacations. Keeping it for a month or so and re-selling it was cheaper than renting it for that amount of time.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’ll bite!

Fujifilm X-E2 and X-E3: I think I've bought and sold 3 of each. And the Fujinon 100-400: 2 of those.

Every time I lust for a rangefinder Leica (M or Q), I look at the X-Es and feel satisfied. I enjoy them with the Fujinon 18/2 or a manual lens, especially one of the cheap and small Chinese 35mm.

I still have an X-E2 because I like the colors and it suits my bohemian desire for an M9. But I've sold the X-E3 because I get more use out of my E-M5ii: the articulating is a blessing for my knees when taking photos of the kids!

As for the 100-400 it's just too big and heavy for what I need. Fabulous lens otherwise! I also have the Panasonic 100-300 ii, not as good but so much smaller and easier to fit in the diaper bag. Yes that's how I roll: diaper bag first, everything else follows. And since the best camera (or lens) is the one I have with me, the Panasonic got a lot more use than the Fuji.

I think/hope I'm asymptotically converging towards my optimal gear setup................

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I have bought, sold, and rebought many Nikon items when I was working with the brand. I bought an F4, loved it, sold it for a new F5, then bought it back since it was the most comfortable camera I have ever owned. Kept it with the F5, F3HP, F2a, until I went digital with the D1. As far as lenses, I bought a Nikon 300mm 2.8 Af lens, thought it was too big and heavy, missed it, and bought one just like it back at a significant loss of money. My problem now is that I do not like selling anything.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Henry's in Canada has a "Half Back" program where you can trade in your camera within a year after purchase and get back half of what you paid for it, and one day in 2005 I traded in my Olympus C-5060WZ for $400 CAD (I bought it for $800 CAD) to get the Olympus C-7070 for $540 CAD at one of their stores. The price had dropped because of the rising Canadian dollar, and Henry's was offering a further discount, so ultimately I paid $140 CAD for basically the same camera. C-5060WZ was the first camera I ever bought, and it is still only the camera I have ever sold.

In the past I was considering Pen F, Panasonic GX9, E-M5 III and 12-40mm F2.8, E-330 and 11-22mm F2.8-3.5, and more to replace my C-7070. Would I have sold any of them by now? Probably not. Even after almost two years with E-M1 II and 12-100mm F4, they are still not second nature to me, still a distraction away from taking photographs. Getting into a constant cycle of buying and selling off gear would just make the problem worse. Taking the time to adapt and learn and try to get the most out of one's gear is an important part of the process.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom