Studying abroad in Norway

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jaylife, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jaylife

jaylife Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    Hey guys,

I'm going to be going over to Norway around July and study for a year. Whilst there I wanna try and get some good photos and of course, see the Northern Lights. My current gear is an e-pl5 with the 14-42 and the 9-18mm. I was wondering if you guys think there is a need for weather proofing? I was thinking maybe an e-m5 or even its rumoured successor? I'm worried that with the Norwegian weather, my camera might get damaged. I'm by no means a pro, but I would be quite devastated if anything happened to my camera.

At the moment I'm saving up for a 17mm 1.8 and I do have some money left to spend. I would say I'd spend a $1000, the less the better to save up for living expenses, but it is flexible. Is having a weatherproof body without a weatherproof lens basically useless? And if it is, should I possibly try and see if I can get either the 12-35 or 12-40?

Mainly interested in landscape photography, but like street as well, hence the 17mm.

Thanks, hopefully there's some detail in there for you guys to give some advice.

2. mtipton1064

mtipton1064 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    The summer I used an EPL-5 in the rain. I protected it in a plastic bag that was held in place with a rubber band on a sun shade. This worked fine in some pretty heavy rain.

Norway is full of great scenery, I would suggest a zoom telephoto.

In what area will you be visiting?

Mike T.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Weatherproofing isn't any good when you want to change lenses and it's snowing, I was doing that on New Years day with my EPL5, holding the camera down. In rain, I've also wrapped a plastic bag around my PEN's.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hence why all weather sealed m4/3 lenses are zooms!

5. jaylife

jaylife Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    Yea, I keep forgetting about the plastic bag trick. Might just use that instead of weather sealing then. I've been thinking about a telephoto as well, reckon a 40-150mm will do the trick?

And not sure at the moment. Will be studying in Oslo, will be travelling around Norway of course. Maybe a couple of other European countries. Still a lot of planning to do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. mtipton1064

mtipton1064 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    I think that the 14-150 would be fine.

I worked on a project in Norway off and on for most of the 1990s. Here a few comments from my experience (you may already know a lot of this from your briefings for your trip)

1. You don't really need to speak Norwegian, most Norwegians speak very good English. However a little Norwegian is useful to read signs, railroad and bus schedules, and directions on the boxes of the Norwegian equivalent of hamburger helper. One of my colleagues didn't realize that he was in the wrong part of the grocery store and until he saw the pictures of the cats on the cans.

2. Norwegians are very friendly and helpful. On two occasions a bus driver went around the block to drop me off when i missed my stop. One of these times was in downtown Oslo!

3. You can get almost anywhere on the bus or the train. They are very comfortable and relatively inexpensive.

4. Norway is very expensive. I have heard that Oslo is currently the most expensive city in the world!

Enjoy yourself!

Mike T.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Catz

Catz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Tromsø, Norway
    Hello!
    I live in Tromsø, Northern Norway. If you want to see the northern lights, then Tromsø is your best bet. A fast wideangle is preferable and a good tripod is a must.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Hi!

Fun to see you are coming to my homeland:)

There are plenty of photographic opportunities around here, and for northern lights, take the Northener´s advice. Tromsø is a beautiful place.

But you do not have to go so far to see some nice scenery. West and north of Oslo there are some great mountains, and crossing them to reach Vestlandet is worth a weekend spent. You do not want to rush that, seeing the sunrise in Valdres is a thing to behold.

For good scenery around Oslo my advice would be the coastlines to the south on either side of the Oslo-fjord. Since I´m from the westside, I of course feel that´s the most beautiful. Lots of smaller cities along the coast, with plenty of hills by the sea. If you take the time to it, a good two hour drive from Oslo along the E18 and 30 min along the smaller roads there are three lovely little coastal towns worth seeing, close together, called Stavern, Helgeroa and Nevlunghavn. The latter is special to me for numerous reasons, and I have a set to give you an idea of what to expect:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95479878@N02/sets/72157639811955274/

• Like Like x 1
  9. jaylife

jaylife Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    Awesome, good to know a local! :D

Do you reckon the 17mm f/1.8 is wide enough? Tbh, I might try to minimise what I spend on camera gear and so the 17mm will probably be my fastest. Otherwise I'll be using the 9-18mm. Good tripod was one of my first purchases so I think I'll be set there :D Any thoughts?

10. jaylife

jaylife Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    Hey,

Those photos are breathtaking! Especially love the 3rd last one with the sailboat in the background. Thanks for sharing!

I'll be sure to check out those places.

Thanks Neftun :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Catz

Catz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Tromsø, Norway
    http://500px.com/MLangeid
    I would definitely get something wider than 17mm. If you take a look on my 500px page, all of my Northern lights photos are shot with between 11-17mm on apsc, something which equals to ca 9-13mm on m43. You should be using your 9-18mm if you want to capture as much Aurora as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jaylife

jaylife Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    Wow, after seeing your photos, getting more and more excited for Norway :D Thanks for sharing!

I'll stick with the 9-18mm then for the Northern Lights. I'll have to do a bit more testing on how far I'm willing to push the ISO since it's such a slow lens.

Another thing, how important do you think weather sealing is in Norway? Reckon an e-m5 kit is really necessary? Or will a plastic bag be enough if I really need to shoot in the rain?

Thanks,

Jason

13. Catz

Catz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Tromsø, Norway
    I have never used weather sealing, and my camera still works... Just bring plastic bags and rubber bands just in case

• Like Like x 1
  14. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    We've got wet summers, but weathersealing is not essesntial.

• Like Like x 1