Studio Shoot: Gaze into my eyes ;)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Aug 25, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I shot it at Valley Studio with my Olympus E-PL2 and my trusty legacy lens Olympus OM 50mm f1.8 stopped at the magic f8.

Einstein w/ gridded ePhoto 22" silver beauty dish on camera left; Alien Bees w/ strip light softbox on camera right, Alien Bees with gridded 7" reflector above model as hair light.

• Like Like x 6
  2. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Wow, no feedback?
  3. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    I like it very much.

Just one remark (personal feeling), i don't like the chain, it attract to much attention away from the beautiful face. Bud like i say that is a personal feeling.

I like the lightning, how did you position the rim light on the hair (boom?).
    And did you put light on the background?

4. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I actually like the chain because it adds to the wardrobe style she's wearing.

As for the light, I used my trusty Einstein w/ gridded beauty dish as the key light on camera left; rented Alien Bees w/ silver bounce umbrella on camera right and just to the side of the model facing back to blow out the background and have the side light spill as a subtle rim light; rented Alien Bees with gridded 7" reflector above model on a boom as hair light.
  5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is probably the first time ever that i've enjoyed seeing red lipstick on a girls lips. It suits.

You've done an awesome job. I've no idea really but it definitely shows confidence and portrays the girl very well.
  6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I'm not doing studio portraits so I know little about the works - but I remember seeing your first pics months ago, and this is great, very composed. You sure managed to do well and build your style. And the model is cute but with attitude!
  7. The lighting gives the dimentionality I like in such studio model portrait shots. The red lipstick works indeed. A pretty studio portrait. Well done.
  8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Great set of images that firmly puts to bed the notion that Mu43 cannot be used effectively for shooting studio.
    Keep up the good work.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I like the hair detail and the catchlights.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    You have to be the only guy shooting :43: in a studio.

Send Olympus a few samples.. maybe they will use them.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010

Lol, I really think I am the only one shooting studio with it. Why not? If people get away shooting with low to mid range dSLR, don't see why u43 cameras can't. I'm not shooting for poster prints and bigger, at least not yet ;)

Actually, I would love to send Olympus my photos. Who should I contact?
  12. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    And I still remember that lengthy, heated debate about u43 cameras in the studio, too, haha