Student deciding among G1/GF1/EP1

Chuck Pike

Mu-43 Veteran
has a lot to do with what you shoot.

I will only compare between the two systems that I shoot, Nikon D200 and GF1. The output is the same. By that I mean that I have shot the same buildings in town, and when I make a print, I can't tell any difference. One system with the 17-35mm f/2.8 lens cost around $3,000 while the GF1 with it's kit lens cost, what, $800? And really the prints are on a good photo printer and they look alike. The D200 was big, heavy, and drew attention. The GF1 is light and with that 20mm lens is super sharp. I really loved my Nikon equipment and shot it for over 45 years. But for carrying a camera on campus along with all of your books, you need to have a small camera. They little gems are pro cameras in a small body. People just don't look at you when you pull one of these out like they do when you have a DSLR and one of those really big lens on it. The 14-45 zoom is also a good lens.

As some already have said you can't get hurt with any of these camera. If your looking for something that can really go un noticed, the GF1 would be hard to beat. I have several galleries that contain work from the GF1 on my web site if your interested. And several members of this forum also have galleries where you can see work done with the m 4/3 format. If you have the chance to actually hold these cameras in your hands, that might make up your mind for you. How does it feel in your hand. Each will require you to take the time to learn the ins and outs of the camera. I had gotten to the point with Nikon, that I just got a new camera and went to work with it. I took me a while to get that same feel with the GF1. The best thing about these small cameras is that they are fun to use. I carry my camera with me almost every where I go.

photosbypike

gbpriv

New to Mu-43
I received the G1 and have started playing around with it today, wow what a machine! I'm going to be honest- I haven't picked up a manual or read anything, just using the 14-45 kit and seeing what I can get it to do for now. A 45-200 came with the kit I purchased and I am selling it on eBay as I really dont need it, and I am going to pick up the 20mm. Thus far, the only thing I am not too fond of is the EFV- I probably need to use it a bit more in the daylight (and in general, used to a real VF or none at all), but the LCD is wonderful. If after a decent amount of use I realize I don't use it, I will probably end up with a GF1. Love it so far, hopefully I'll take some actual pictures to show with it soon!

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
In the Olympus line-up, the EP2 and EPL1 both allow use of the accessory viewfinder. For the EP2, using the viewfinder disallows use of on-camera flash. That puts you at the EPL1 for portrait work with a flash in the Olympus line-up.

I have to somewhat disagree with that last statement - but not totally. For portrait work you should be using an external flash, not the on-camera flash included with any camera (including the pro-level E-3). This is a capability of all PEN cameras from the E-P1 to E-P2 to E-PL1, and the reason that the lack of EVF on the E-P1 doesn't bother me since I need the hotshoe for my sync trigger anyways. However, the E-PL1 does afford one nice opportunity, which is the use the pop-up as a Remote Commander, allowing you to use the R-series wireless remote sensors on Olympus flash guns. Personally, I call the pop-up a "Built-in Commander" instead of a "Built-in Flash".

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Personally, I call the pop-up a "Built-in Commander" instead of a "Built-in Flash".

That's how I see it for serious applications, but the pop up flash is handy to have.

Cheers

Brian

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
...The majority of photo work I will be doing will revolve around portraits, documentary work, and basic landscape scenes. Little to no tripod use.
I'm thinking Landscape and Portrait might make good use of tripod ...

Anyway what not a lot of people have mentioned is "value for money".
If you can get a discounted Lumix G1, get one. It isn't much smaller than a small DSLR but it is ever so configureable and really good at what it does.
Another cheap possibility is Olympus e410/420 : available for very little money if you hunt for a deal (because it's not trendy) and very compact with (in my opinion) the sharpest 'kit zoom' lenses of all.

Latest threads

Top Bottom