1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Stuck in Utica NY without a Battery :-(

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RDM, Jun 24, 2013.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

OK so here Is the deal..
    My older brother was sent for his job to do some training for 3 days. All expenses paid.. Well Since His wife can not take off work to go with him and I have not seen him much since he got married over a a year ago, he asked me to come along. You see, since I lost my Job of 12 years when the company closed, I decided to go to college to get a degree in a slightly different but related field to what I was doing..... but that's not important.. What is important is I been going to school now full-time and not with any steady work; I have lots of free time.
    SO I came along thinking that I could walk around the city exploring and taking photographs while he was away (with the car) .. SO we get here last night and i wake up this morning and discover i forgot my battery and charger.. I remember now that i had plugged it into the wall to get a full charge in case i needed to use it on the very long drive to here.

So I have no battery and lots of lenses a mono pod and other accessories but cant use them without a battery .. I have no idea where anything is and Don't even know where If it were possible to buy one up here... The camera is a Pana GH-2.

SO I am just sitting here in the hotel room online and watching TV..
    However I might go out and use my Trusty back up.

I always keep it in my car just in case.. and when we packed the rental car I took it out of my car and threw it into the rental out of habit to always have it with.... A fully manual no batteries needed camera can always come in handy. Tho it already has half a roll used in it , and I am sure I can find film at any drug store , I cant help but smile at the Oll reliable..:biggrin:
    A Classic Kodak Signet 40

Anyone got suggestions, or should I just go out and use this bad boy with the sunny 16 rule?

Attached Files:

2. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Nice! If you have an iphone (or any smartphone) you can download free light meters. maybe that will help :)

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well, my first call is always to the hotel concierge under those conditions. (Not the sunny 16 rule, the forgotten camera battery :biggrin: ).

There may be a local source for the cell you need, and hotel staff can be amazingly helpful.

Or, if not, a store where you can buy a digital backup camera to backup your Kodak backup camera :biggrin:.

I dunno about New York, but around here (Detroit) film can still be purchased in most drug stores and convenience stores...so grab that Kodak and head out into the wilds of Utica :2thumbs:. Light meters are so overrated. :wink:

Have a good trip!

Regards,

Jim

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    :eek:

Man, the things I miss out on because I don't have a smartphone!

I really gotta rethink my position on phones.

Regards,

Jim

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Two issues I see:

1) no battery
    2) in Utica

There's a Walmart and a BestBuy at 840/5a intersection. There's also a Walgreens near those two.

Good luck.

6. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks for all the great suggestions...!!!

I actually do not .. I use an older model Flip phone. Casio GZ'one Boulder. It's waterproof and shock/drop resistant.. I have beat the hell outa this thing over the years; if it was a smart phone the screen would have been broken a thousand times by now.

I took that suggestion on the concierge services. I called the number in the directory and asked him about where to get a battery, explaining my situation. He suggested Circuit city 1st , then I reminded him they went out of business, he apologized and said he had not been there in a while . Then suggested the Mall nearby and said there's a Sears there and many other stores..

I agree that outside the studio, light meters can be over rated.. especially if you are using Film and are doing street photography..
    For those that do not know, negative print Film offers more exposure latitude than digital sensors can. It's more forgiving to off exposures. From years of doing my own Dark room prints, both B&W and color, I tend to make exposures to make thick negatives, and when i use the sunny 16 rule and guesstimate, I get pretty close to correct average exposure.

Thank you for those wishes ,
    I was going to take the Kodak and walk about but the sky got dark as i walked out the hotel and heard a storm coming; it let up about an hour ago So maybe tomorrow, if i cant find a Battery tonight...

lol... I like that #2 .. And, yea thanks about the heads up location of BB..
    I'm staying at the Radisson hotel in Utica.. and It was too hot, at 1st, then rainy later, to walk to it today so I will go a little later, now that my brother is back with the car.

7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Update

OK , so I first went to Rite-Aid, down town, to get some film. They only had 400 speed, so I was pretty-much shooting at the max shutter speed (400) and the min F stop, (22 or sometimes 16) because when it was very sunny out. Later that night I went to WalMart, which was in the next town, and picked up some 200 speed film.
    Utica turned out to be a fantastic city for architecture, a great museum and other things.
    Thank God for the oll film backup..
    I almost forgotten how much fun it is too shoot film with a simple manual camera.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Utica has some pretty quirky areas, as well. I actually think it would be fun to shoot around most of upstate NY. I like the towns along the Mohawk river between Albany and Syracuse, and I would die if I could shoot in that old Beechnut factory I think it's about an hour east of Utica (maybe more like 40 minutes).

I'd ask to share the pics, but of course it'll take some time!

9. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    If you discover that problem the first day, you can have a battery on the second with Amazon overnight shipping!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I looked into that, but the cost of getting a battery and charger which would have arrived there the next day was way too expensive in my opinion, and since I had the film back up camera, I felt the little money spent on film a better choice.

P.S. I left there Wednesday evening, but visited the Stanley Theater before I left the City to go home.. OMG that is a Beautiful Building.

11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I would love to share the photos when they are developed, as long as I am allowed to post Film photos on this forum :wink:

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Wow! I've only ever been around the outskirts of Utica. I'll have to get downtown sometime.

13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yea did you see the website for the Stanly that I linked? Amazing right?

I also went to the Munson Williams Proctor Museum of Art and saw the temporary Warhol exhibit titled, “The Prints of Andy Warhol: From A to B and Back Again.” It was fantastic. Just ten bucks. Not only the show, but the Museum itself was amazing due to being historical and Architecturally important. The Munson Williams Proctor Museum of Art was designed by the legendary Architect, Philip Johnson.
    The architecture around the city was simply great. So many fantastically preserved, Old and amazing, buildings, like Downtown Utica’s historical, ‘gold-domed’ bank building currently the M&T Bank.

I just was pleasantly surprised and never expected to find so much up there.. I just wish it had not rained so often while I was there. I only had three days to be there and the rain took away lots of time for sight seeing.. There were several must see places which I had not had a chance to go to. Many people, even at the museum, said that I should tour the Saranac Brewery, which is another historic building; plus beer sampling sounded nice too :wink: