Stuck at RR Xing

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ivoire, Jun 18, 2013.

1. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Got stuck at the RR Xing today by 3 freight trains so jumped out with the DP2 Merrill. The detail with this camera is incredible.

[​IMG][/url] diesel 7850 by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] diesel 5872 by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] diesel 5059 by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

2. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

You should be posting these in the train thread.

3. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Yes, there is a lot of detail in there. What processing did you use, and were these raw or jpg?

4. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Some mft shooters get miffed with non mft posted in mft threads.

5. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Shot in raw, opened and quick adjusted in Sigma pro software for exposure and x3 fill light, saved as tif 16bit, pulled into CS6 for final shadow and highlight touchup. These files require a minimum of processing (mainly to suit my taste)

6. I do often like what I see from the Merrills, but you have me curious about your comment regarding having used only minimal processing. Is the halo effect normal for the Merrills? I don't recall seeing it so noticeably before. The detail from these cameras is always very impressive, however.

7. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

If not shot with mFT, what did you use? Sorry, sometimes I forget that people with others systems post here. So I guess your reason stands. I don't care what you shot it with, only that it's trains! But like you said, not everyone feels the same. I still wish I could see as many trains as you and some others do.

8. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Halo is most likely from my learning to use the fill light tool

9. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Taken with the Sigma DP2 Merrill. I never care if any camera post is done. But why draw flak.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Those are really good.

11. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Looks like a certain amont of HDR

The only time I see light halos in and around trees and complicated areas of a photo is when HDR or masking is used.
    Or am I not that well informed.

12. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    3 different Union Pacific haulers in the space of 15 minutes. really backed up traffic

13. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I'm not well informed enuff to answer that:smile:

I do use a action a friend gave me to boost the color. It may have a mask in its automated script/process.

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    They're good captures, but overcooked to my taste - the 'excessive' fill light and pushing the contrast for an almost pseudo-HDR look is what's giving them the halo effects, I'd wager. Doesn't really let me determine how good or bad the Sigma is.

15. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike

looked at the action and it does a mask, some saturation and fill light. So I tried the sigma software with it's auto function, saved as jpg and used a slight curve in pshop. The halo is gone, thanks for the info. Brilliant sunlight that day and around 1pm. The train seems a bit washed out to me, I'm wondering if a polarizing filter would make a diff.

[​IMG][/url] diesel_7850 by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'd hate to live in those apartments.

17. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Why? It'd be the best, so close to the trains. I could see them all the time.

18. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Where are the pictures taken ? There are posts from all round the world and it's nice to know. Cheers.

19. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Good point.... taken at Park Blvd RR xing in Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

20. Timos L

Timos L Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Timos :)
    The light/color adjustment in the sky is not succesful at all. If the camera has a good sensor, you should have left the sky as it is, with only a little bit of darkening the blue color if it is washed out in the original shot.