Struggling with no viewfinder, any tips?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jaomul, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    I recently bought an EPL-5 and am happy with it but....

I am used to dslr cameras and am struggling with motion blur with my shots. I will likely eventually get a viewfinder but it is not on the cards right now. Anyone have any technique tips for steadier shooting, maybe a style of holding the camera etc (not so much settings, I know i can up the iso and try for faster shutter speeds),

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Turn the screen so you look down on it, hold camera on lower level withboth hands with elbows touching torso. Use with 2 second delay.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I don't know if you can hold the cam at waist level pressed in to the stomach? It worked well with TLR's so may be poss with a flip screen.
  4. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    set it to high burst and take 2-3 shots.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think that you'll just adapt with some practice. Hold the camera in close to the body to keep it stable, and be conscious of how much force you are applying when you press the shutter button.
  6. cpclark

cpclark Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2013
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Christopher Paul
    Even though you can't rest the camera against your face, be sure to still lock your elbows and keep them tucked into your body. I use a technique where I do just this and hold the camera at about chest height with a just a slight 30 degree swivel in the screen. This allows a very stable frame for pictures or video when hand-held speeds would affect my shots.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Depending on eye-sight and use of neck strap: use the neck strap as a steadying device by pushing the camera away from your face until the neck strap is tight.
  8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Buy a camera with a viewfinder. Hold it against your face. Anything else is just a workaround for a bad design concept, popular though the concept may be.
  9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    LCD loupes like a Hoodman can be used just like a VF. Just strap it to the camera with a few elastics.
  10. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I second that motion . . . get a viewfinder
  11. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Thanks all. I will try out some of your suggestions
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    This is true. Stick your head in the sand. Never try anything different. Never try to expand your own capabilities. Adaptation and innovation has never achieved anything.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    If you have the neckstrap, you can use it to tension the camera body. If you get creative, you can use it like a handstrap (Think about the loop the original strap makes when you are adjusting it for the length) and then wrap it around your wrist and tighten it so when you have your right hand gripping down on the camera, it provides some tension and coupling to your arm. This makes your single point of grip into a 2-3 point grip as the sling tensions against the back of your hand and your wrist. Now you can rest your right arm on your torso or leg and your left arm as well for more stability. Optionally go use something as your support (Tree, light pole, walls, etc)

If you've seen the movie Heat, you can think of how the Steyr TMP was used in one scene where the sling is fully tensioned to assist in stabilizing it.

I generally don't leave the loop in my thumb and have that loose, but if you really want the insurance of breaking your thumb before you break your camera, go for it. That just keeps it nice and neat without the loop handing off. It also undoes the wriststrap component quickly.
  14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have done this when I need to hold the camera high to get a clear shot. It can work quite well. With the EPL5, you can tilt the viewfinder for a good viewing angle. It could probably work at waist level.
  15. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Thanks again all, I will try suggestions, the tips were great
  16. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Buy a viewfinder. The VF3 is cheap, the VF4 is high quality. I find that the my VF3 on my E-PL1 hits the "good enough" level.