Strobists, please help me with flash setup.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by famous amos, Feb 9, 2013.

1. famous amos

famous amos New to Mu-43

Feb 12, 2012
    I need help with a flashgun purchase decision (for my OMD). I want to learn how to take portraits with multiple flashes. I think it will be very fun to learn, but this flash stuff is very hard to learn for some reason.

I am thinking of starting off with a two flash setup and maybe adding a third flashgun. I already purchased a FL-600R because of the $50 rebate, but I am re-thinking my purchase. I'll explain to you the reason:

Upon using the flash in RC mode, I found that the sensor needs to be directly aligned to my mini OMD flash. I found this to be a little hard in some situations. So I have been reading up on wireless flash triggers and came across the Cactus V5's. I know these are fully manual with no TTL capability, but since they are for portraits and there will be a set working space/distance, I'm thinking I will be fine after fiddling around with the flashguns for a couple minutes.

I want to keep one flash that has TTL abilities for on-camera use. Since I am using the wireless triggers anyway for off-camera use (and therefore no TTL), would there be a point of keeping the FL-600R over a FL-36 (not the R version)? I have read that the FL-600R has a faster recycling but if I am fine with waiting a little, is there any advantage of having the FL-600R over the FL-36? The FL-36 still allows me TTL capabilities when it is on-camera right?

I would be able to purchase a FL-36, wireless flash triggers, plus cheap manual flash like the Yangnuo 560 all for the same price or maybe $20 more than just ONE FL-600R unit. Then, I would be able to afford some extra accessories like softboxes, umbrellas, and lightstands which are relatively cheap, but I could see the costs adding up quickly.

Before I bought the FL-600R, I thought I would be able to swivel the flashhead 180 degrees so the sensor is facing me, and I would be fine. I didn't think it would be this insensitive outdoors. Would the cactus V5's be a little more sensitive? I'm not really fond of the idea of having flash cables.
  2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    The Cactus V5 is operating on radio frequency, there is no need for line of sight for operation. If you want to build a setup as this you need to get only Yangnuo 560 type of flashes because there is no need for TTL.
    TTL is good only when you shot with single flash.
    If you intend to shot in weddings parties where the speed of the snap is important then you need TTL, but if you intend to shoot stationery objects just get a manual with auto mode flash and for the rare occasions that yo need a quick snap put it to auto.
  3. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Maybe repost or move thread to the lighting portion of this forum. More people into lighting are found there.
  4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    If you're only looking for portrait fixed use ditch the flashes.

Photo Basics - Lighting - Strobelite 2-Light Softbox-Umbrella Kit

This will get you better pics, power, and learning for about the same price. All you lose is portability. And even then maybe not so much, how often are you running around with a on camera flash?
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree... but compact flashes are a good place to start AND they are easy to bring on location. How much is portable power for that kit?

When it comes to a basic strobist kit...

* Gels.
    * two Umbrellas - Don't settle for small ones... I started with reflect (silver) but ended up using shoot throughs more because of efficiency.
    * Umbrella holders with cold shoe for flashes.
    * Flashes - Power is the upmost important here. My main one now is a Sunpak 622 pro. Power battery packs are nice for recycle. Vivitar 283's are popuar. I use Sunpak 422Ds. Your dollar will go a lot farther with older manual flashes... make sure they are adjustable power type.
    * Stands. I like the air cushioned ones
    * Wireless radio triggers. Cactus ones are popular and affordable.

I started out with to get my stuff. They also kits for varying prices

Midwest Photo Exchange Strobist® Kits - STROBIST®