strobist,

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jay395, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jay395

jay395 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Has anyone had any experience using off camera flash's with micro four thirds system?

I had a few flash's i used with my old dslr system which i sold and wanted to get back into it. I don't really want different camera systems i prefer just the one, so i thought id ask and find out if anyone is using them with success.

I use g3 at the moment. I went to m4/3 mainly because of the size for when im out and about

thanks

2. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    Using cactus triggers, I've had no problem firing old SB-25's with my cameras...

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Photography is photography. Using off-camera flash is no different whether you're using an iphone or a Hasselblad. Panasonic doesn't have a built-in wireless system like Olympus, Nikon, or Canon do, so you're going to have to either use a wireless trigger system (PocketWizard, Skyport, or even Cactus or Yongnuo, etc.), or you're going to need to buy yourself a flash that ignores preflashes from the G3. One of the big shortcomings of the Panasonic system is that you can't set a specific flash output, only flash compensation up to +2/-2 EV. The solution is to get one of these style products and cover the flash with it:
    Kodak 3 x 3" #87 Opaque Infrared Wratten Gel 1638063 B&H
    SG-31R IR Panel for Built-In Flash from Nikon

I have a "dumb" flash that doesn't ignore preflash, and I've had hit or miss results, depending on how I position the flash relative to me. Way too much of a hassle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I have an E-PL1 and use off camera flash (Nikon SB-25s) via Cybersyncs regularly. Obviously the max sync speed is slower than with Canon or Nikon DSLRs but it is still plenty usable. The only downside with the PEN cameras, or the GF/X series cameras is that you can't use an eye level finder with radio triggers, but with the G3, that wouldn't be a problem.

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    There are a few threads about this already. I have cheap Cowboystudio triggers and they work just fine with my GH2. Everything is manual but it's not that hard.

6. jay395

jay395 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    is there an external flash that will work so i can use high speed sync?

7. cray-

cray- New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2012
    Perth, Aus.
    I believe HSS or FP mode as Panasonic call it, is supported by the Panasonic FL360 which is a re-branded Olympus Fl-36R? Both are fine.

I have used an old manual Minolta flash (only has Hi & Lo modes) with cheap eBay Phottix FT-04 triggers. Unfortunately due to the shutter design on m43, it can only sync to 1/160. Whereas the same setup on my old LX3 could do 1/2000. =[

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If you set your camera to MANUAL, you can sync at 1/320 shutter speed on Olympus Pens.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jay395

jay395 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    it only lets me sync to 1/160 in manual with internal flash, but wasnt sure if any external flash's would let me, ill look into that fl360 to see if i can sync faster with that

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    To be more specific, the Panasonic FL-360 is identical to the Olympus FL-36 (non-R version), which has no optical sensor. Except of course for its ability to use Panasonic's FP mode. ;)

Of course, having no wireless capabilities mean that to use FP mode anywhere but on the hotshoe, you will need a full TTL cable (it doesn't have to be Four-Thirds, you can also use the Canon TTL cable which has the same contacts in the same spots). I don't know if there are radio triggers which support Four-Thirds to that extent.

I've always wondered if the Pocket Wizards for Canon EOS would allow TTL between a Four-Thirds camera and flash? AFter all, it's the same contacts... you'd think it should work the same as the TTL cable? I'm too poor to find out though... :( Especially since I don't even like or use TTL flash, so that would be a huge waste of money for me, lol. I only use manual flash, so standard single-contact triggers, sync cables, etc. are all I need.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If your using a dedicated m43 flash, make sure to put tape over the data pins on the hot shoe to prevent the flash from communicating with the camera.

12. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    No, but you could just use a Panasonic/Olympus flash (they're the same thing besides the name, i.e. FL-50 vs DMW-FL500) or Metz 50 AF-1 and just use a cable extension cord to move the flash off-camera.

I see no mention of the G3 being FP capable, but I don't see any other Panasonic camera advertising it either. Looking at threads like this I assume that all Panasonic cameras can do it:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f43/drip-1-4000-flash-sync-3082/

And I don't know why Panasonic would advertise their flashes as being FP capable if their cameras weren't:
    DMC-G3 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

13. jay395

jay395 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    confused.com

14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Nice to know. I've never tried anything higher than 1/160th just because I've never needed to.