Strobist Action Photo

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by cbelter, Apr 7, 2015.

1. cbelter

cbelter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2015
    So when I sold off all my Nikon gear and Switched to a M5MK2 i was worried about shooting action and strobist photos. As you can see I am no longer worried about that. P4030036.

• Like Like x 5
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Nicely captured. Can you describe your light setup?

3. cbelter

cbelter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2015
    top left in the bushes I jammed a flash in some branches to hold secure.

Shot with a yongnuo 560 III at about 1/4 power Fired with a yongnuo RF 603N II.

Setting 200 iso, 250 or 350 shutter at 5.6/f

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. qppoiz

qppoiz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    NJ
    1/250 sync speed on a EM5ii?? That's all I would need to hear to buy this camera...if I had the money!

5. cbelter

cbelter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2015
    I will do some sync test for you I think I shot some stuff at 1/350. I sold all my nikon gear for this camera and the 4/3 system. don't regret it one bit.

6. Even my E-M5 Mk1 syncs at 1/250s with manual flashes. I think the E-M1 is even better at 1/320s. It's worse with TTL though, the sync speed drops to 1/200s or 1/160s depending on which TTL flash you use.

7. Avi

Avi New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2015
    Avi
    I was able get a sync of up-to 1/4000 on my EM-5 (Mark I). The trick is to enable to FP-M mode on the camera (which can be only done by sliding an FL600R or FL36 on the camera, switching the mode to FP-M, switching the FL600R off and sliding the speed-light off the camera without turning the camera off, then slide your remote trigger on the camera). Only downside is that I am not be able to control the speed-light's power(). I would have to control the output by varying the flash distance to the subject. If I go below 1/1000s and change the flash power output to 1/2, I see only 1/3rd of the frame correctly exposed. This is further explained in this link.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The E-M1 has a sync of 1/500th however depending on the reaction time and duration of the flash you will get a short gradient (if it reacts quickly however is long duration) or a black band of varying thickness (if it's slow to react).

Using a system designed for leaf shutters capable of fast reaction times you can get 1/500th (and if you can place the sky or something not lit by the flash in the right part of the frame, you can go higher).

• Useful Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.