1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Strobe Questions

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by ramseeker, Jan 26, 2014.

1. ramseeker

ramseeker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Grand Island, NY
    Jim
    New here, and finally dumped all my Nikon gear to go full-on into M 4/3, but have some questions about strobes (flashes).

I'm just doing the odd portrait at home and am no pro so 2 lights/umbrellas suits just fine. I sold my Nikon strobes to fund lenses so now the question is - what strobes to buy for my OM-D E-M5?

The Yongnuo 560 III's seem like they will do the trick just fine (and cheap!) but it's the triggers that trip me up. Apparently there's a new RF-603 that will work with the OMD and the 560III's.

Is this all I need to get? I read that the older 603 triggers need soldering and I don't want to go that route. I want all this to work right out of the box.

I'm pretty sure I just need the 560III's and the newly released RF603 II's and I would be set but am open to other suggestions....

Thanks!

2. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    I have a 560III with a rf600tx that works very well with my ep5 and I assume it will be the same for the omd. No need to do anything. Just be aware that the flash will always be in manual mode, no ttl. So if the old 600tx worked for me, the new one should too!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Mu-43 mobile app

3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
  4. ramseeker

ramseeker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Grand Island, NY
    Jim
    Thanks, the Adorama stuff looks like an option too, but then I'm looking at more wireless triggers and if I ever need them to go outdoors - power.
    the attraction of the strobes are the built in RX receivers and portability. My main concern is I'm buying the right transceiver to trigger them with the OMD.

5. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I just got a set of RF-603IIs (I'm returning them, because the Canon shutter release cable is probably bad), but they work just fine as manual-only flash triggers on my Panasonic G3's hotshoe, and I've seen reports that they work fine on the EM-5 and Fuji X hotshoes as well without modification. No soldering required; works out of the box. You just have to make sure the on-camera unit is set to Tx mode.

Right now my other issue with the triggers, however, is that Flash Havoc reported (and the specs on the Photo Gadget website support this) that the PC port can be used as an input in Tx mode. I couldn't get that to work either. I tend to stuff a Sonia optical slave with a male PC connector onto my RF-602Tx unit's PC input and then trip my lights with the pop-up flash of my Powershot S90 when I'm feeling silly. This didn't work with the 603ii units. This could mean if you wanted to use one as a Tx unit via a light meter or camera's PC port, it might not work, either. The test button will work in-hand in Tx mode, though, so at least that's fixed.

I've commented on the Flash Havoc thread, and they're looking into it.

6. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    I have and use yongnuos with photttix triggers, they work amazing. But you need receivers too. If you use the yonguo trigger the receiver is built into the flash and indeed you need nothing else.

7. nikonshutter16

nikonshutter16 New to Mu-43

Jan 24, 2014
    What phottix triggers are you using?

8. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I just took the plunge on getting some Cheetah Branded V850s. It's an all manual flash, but if you get their radio triggers, you can adjust the power levels from the transmitter. Plus it comes with a lithion Ion battery. I hear you can get 600 full powered shots. I'm pretty excited to use it

9. ramseeker

ramseeker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Grand Island, NY
    Jim
    I think I am leaning towards these. I'm OK with manual, but if I can adjust from the camera without having to walk over to each flash to change power - all the better - and the battey life looks great ! AA's are pricey.

10. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I have an Olympus E-M1 and the Oly fl600r is great for my high speed syncs, but for off camera flash, I just can't stand it. The recycle time is too slow for my taste. Plus I hate AA batteries...they can add up for sure