1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Strip cleaning legacy primes?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jdenkevitz, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2013
    Baltimore
    Ive been picking up various old primes off ebay. Some in great condition, others not so wonderful. Ive been fairly successful in taking a few apart that were more egregious and cleaning them out. Ive been using lens paper and some generic cleaning fluid, but im struggling with lint/dust residue using the paper.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning off older lense elements?

A good soap or cream to clean off fungus that wont damage any coatings?

Also, do you prefer micro fiber clothes or lens paper?

Any tips would help!

2. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    I have no experience trying them on lenses, so do this at your own risk, but my ultrasonic cleaner works wonders on SCUBA regulator parts. And they're cheap these days ($30-50 for a small one.

3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Pure rubbing alcohol works, I've cleaned a 3 or 4 lenses with it and have never had issues with coatings.
    Lint is the bane of lens cleaning, I have used our downdraft paint booth at work to disassemble lenses, as well as a vacuum and "lint free" clothes.... Still got lint.
    What I have come to realize is that before cleaning you must decide what is better the current state of the lens or a bit of lint. The lint will have zero impact 99% of the time.

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I made the fateful mistake of trying to clean my glasses in our ultrasonic cleaner at work.... Destroyed the coating, so I would not recommend it on lenses.

5. Nepherim

Nepherim Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    NJ, USA
    If you need dust free, then work in the bathroom with the hot shower steaming.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    The best environment is if you can find a laminar flow hood. We have one at work and it is great for doing these types of things.

7. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I had minor surface fungus last week.
    I use " cold cream " to wipe the surface and
    then use whisky to clean off the cols cream.

usual lens cleaner for a final clean.

THen I left the lens in the sun fir direct UV and
    wrap the body in alum. foil.

Lens came out really well.

8. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    My advice should be to use microfiber gloves or rubber fingers to touch the glass elements.
    Usually the dirt/fungus will be near the diafragm or on the first/last element of the lens so if possible avoid dismantling the whole lens. Clean just what needs to be clean.
    Most important I found out that dry cleaning is the best procedure. Use a lens pen/lens pen micro to do the job. Lens cleaning liquid will leave residues that seem invisible but if you moister the glass a pattern will become visible. While mounting the elements again use a torch to seek for dust.

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    By torch, do you mean flashlight-like device, or something that emits heat? I know torch means different things in various parts of the world.

10. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    I mean any directional light source, a mobile phone camera light will do the job.
    Cheers

11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    That is what I figured, but wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    For a second there I had visions of using a propane torch to incinerate lint! Scary thought! :biggrin:

13. 100thmonk

100thmonk New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2013
    Ronsonol... Make sure to handle the glass w/o your fingers after cleaning... This is a way for fungus to get started...