1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Streetwear shoot with the E-PM1 and 45mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by AdamThirtle, Mar 5, 2012.

1. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I have been finding plenty shoot lately and here are a small sample of a shoot I did for a local streetwear brand. Let me know what you think!

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nice shots, but your model sticks his chin out too much. ;) A look like that should not be used consistently. The green color cast would normally be too much for me, but when used in a series it works nice.

3. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    He is a skateboarder, we tent to have terrible posture!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol, I see what you mean. xD My favorite photo is the center one. With the way he's posturing though, I think it would have been perfect if he leaned up against the wall. If he straightened his neck a bit though, then his current position is ideal. :)

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    if the shot is for the clothing... you need clothing without fold lines on them!
    if its just an arty shot, i like the first just fine :)

i agree with ned on the chin

6. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

good work Adam.
    So tell me if Olympus 45 mm 1.8 has recovered its cost or not?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. The first (fold marks aside :smile:) and fourth are the only two that really work for me from a "buy clothes, look cool" perspective. Your model looks a bit awkward in the other images. #2 could work really well with a different pose, possibly leaning against the wall as Ned suggested.

9. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Excellent shots Adam. My only suggestion is that the top shot where the subject is looking away leads the eyes away from the clothing. Now if that's part of a layout and there's copy in the direction where he's looking then its perfect.

Good job. I like the color treatment too. I didn't even notice his chin. Streetwear should be shot with real people doing real things and often posture is not on the minds of young skaters. It's real, gritty and honest.

10. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks for all the comments! I'll post a few more that are like the last when I am home to put them in context a bit more, but there are also a few in my photo log link in my signature.

As for making my cost back...I wish! Ha, still just a hobby here and all of my shots have just been favours for friends and to build up my own experience. Hopefully one day people will cough up their cash for me to shoot for them haha.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

when i visit UK in May this year , i will bring my all gear n we can shoot together again .
    cheers
    bhupinder

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    In regards to the folds in the clothes...

Every photographer needs to invest in a good steamer. This is as much of a photographic tool as a monopod. You can use it to dewrinkle all your clothes of any fabric, remove scents from models on retail merchandise, and and dewrinkle your muslin or fabric backgrounds. It is a very important tool.

Besides the full-size steamer with wheels and hanging pole, I also use a hand-held steamer which I really love. It's very compact and convenient to use, and can even be taken on location (something I loathe to do with a regular sized steamer).

13. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    That would be great! Really good to have some constructive critique on these. Its always good to see it from someone else's perspective. Thank you all. Always looking on ways to improve, and what I should invest in too Ned!

14. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Right, sorry for the double post. Finally home and here would be the final images that are likely to be used as promotional shots and for the brand's website. Really went for a gritty feel with these.