arjubx

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lei
Had a recent trip to Europe and spent 2 days in Barcelona. Loved walking around and created a series of black & white shots that captured my time around the city. Appreciate any comments or feedback.

1) Walking
Barcelona Street (1 of 7).jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Crossing Shadows
Barcelona Street (2 of 7).jpg

3) One Headlight
Barcelona Street (3 of 7).jpg

4) Sharing the Love
Barcelona Street (4 of 7).jpg

5) Waiting in the Rain
Barcelona Street (5 of 7).jpg

6) Reflections in the Light
Barcelona Street (6 of 7).jpg

7) The Swap
Barcelona Street (7 of 7).jpg

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Nice shots. I didn't know it got cold in Barcelona.

AlterKnabe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Walter
@arjubx
I personally judge your B&W treatment as quite fine, I like the strong contrasts. I suppose you used LR to produce the B&W version.
Nevertheless some criticism - hope you don't mind.
#2 reminds me only in "bad focused" - sorry.
#4 catches my eye - but I personally would prefer to see the vertical walls as verticals, these walls are tilted to the right, what I find diverting my attention.
Besides these remarks: well done, thank you for sharing!

arjubx

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lei
Thanks everyone for the feedback and compliments so far.

@AlterKnabe
#2 Very fair, the reality was that I accidentally bumped the camera into MF when going for the shot (remapped my button right afterwards) and almost deleted the image on the spot.

I ended keeping and liking it enough due to how the highlights and shadows interacted. Maybe it is better if I keep it only for something like Instagram where it is much smaller and the OOF look is not as distracting.

#4 Good catch, went back to the image on LR Mobile and noticed I forgot to apply rotation/distortion fixes, will fix and repost at when I get a chance.

@Gerard
Both these images started with a high contrast/moody BW conversion. Below are the unique edits that created the final feel of each of these 2 pictures.

#3:
  • I was pretty aggressive with dodge and burn to really emphasize the dark ally look in the front with some large exposure reduction gradients positioned to create a "V" effect on the lower half of the image.
  • I then went back and lightened up some of the spots on the walls so it was not all black.
  • From there I dodged the headlight and the space in front of the scooter to emphasize the lights.
  • There was also a bit of negative dehaze in a small spot right in front of the scooter to amplify the headlight's effect.
  • Finally some touchup to smooth out really bright and dark spots on the top half of the image to prevent them from pulling the viewers eyes away from the rider.

#6:
  • After the BW conversion, it actually was quite flat and not what I envisioned in my mind.
  • The foreground was much darker than what you see and I was really looking to call out the symmetry in the image.
  • The biggest thing that I did was a large dodge gradient for the ground in front of the ocean that was angled to match the waterline. Basically this is what made the bottom half of the image as white as the top.
  • This large gradient of course made all the foreground objects look weird so I had to go back and burn the shadows, trees, etc back to a darker black.

*edited post to make it easier to read

Last edited:

apicius9

Mu-43 Veteran
I love the city and was there quite often. For me, the scooter picture captures the old town spirit very nicely. I could swear I have walked through there myself ;) Thanks for the nice pictures & memories.

Stefan

arjubx

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lei
I love the city and was there quite often. For me, the scooter picture captures the old town spirit very nicely. I could swear I have walked through there myself ;) Thanks for the nice pictures & memories.

Stefan

Happy to help! My favorite part were narrow streets and old town feel, definitely going Togo back in the future as 2 days was just not enough.

NigelD

Mu-43 Veteran
Interesting series - love #2 and last one. I'm in Barcelona soon - I hope it's not too wet...

trandg

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David
I loved all of these shots, but in particular liked #2 because it was different. Less technical, more about the art and imagining the scene details that aren't there. Nice set.

NigelD

Mu-43 Veteran
Sometimes it's the details that aren't there that make the shot - I agree.

arjubx

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lei
Excited this got featured. Thanks for all the feedback.

Latest threads

Top Bottom