Street Shooting.....How

Mu-43 Regular
What mode do you put the camera on and what aperture do you select and how would you focus for general street shooting (E-P1).

Also, I am using resolution of LN, should I be using LSF. Would there be any difference, I plan on printing 4x6 and mostly uploading to the flickr or picasaweb.

Someone suggested to keep the IS off to save battery life, but wouldn't that cause blurry images. I have it on IS1 for now.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
If you search the Image Works forum, using the word street with the option for "show threads" you will find several other very helpful discussions, too - Trigger Mechanism, Photographic Tension and Street Photography - Advice and Tips please and others such as How to Become a Better Photographer: street search. Don't hesitate to add any questions to those threads...there's a ton of good information in them!:2thumbs:

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Jim,
What lens are you planning on using?
How do you process your images, PS.. aperture etc?
You doing daylight/low light?
Don

igi

Mu-43 Regular
What mode do you put the camera on and what aperture do you select and how would you focus for general street shooting (E-P1).

Also, I am using resolution of LN, should I be using LSF. Would there be any difference, I plan on printing 4x6 and mostly uploading to the flickr or picasaweb.

Someone suggested to keep the IS off to save battery life, but wouldn't that cause blurry images. I have it on IS1 for now.

Shoot at F8 :wink:

If you'd really want quality photos, it's better to choose RAW but if left to those two choices, I think LF is better because it's nearly indistinguishable from LSF and yet more economical.

You can basically turn the IS off for wide angle lenses and/or at broad daylight. For longer focal lengths (maybe >25mm) and/or darker environments, you'd really need it on.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I haven't used a tripod since my 8x10 daze....

But back to the topic, I await a response from 369 about the lens.
This factor determies all...

Mu-43 Regular
Shooter, I am just using my kit lens, I am planning to go for a vacation. I was wondering to experiment with street shooting on the boardwalk. I don't know if I nned to put it in A mode and then should I put in S-af, MF or what.

Should I keep the lens at the wide end? and then how do I focus, on something that I am shooting blindly.

Hope these are not stupid questions.

Off Topic - Since the E-P1 does not have in-built flash and I don't have an Off camera flash, How can I shoot with this camera on the beach and not get shadows on peoples faces.

Thanks

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
With the zoomie, keep the camera in S-AF.
It's pointless to set the AF to the AEL button with a zoom so keep it at the shutter.
Shoot raw. On the beach, use the light to your advantage. It's there, so pay attention to the angle it's coming at and use it to accent your subject.
2 important things happen in photography.
1. You are a part of the scene. You are effecting something in the image.
A response, eye contact etc...
2. You are an observer. You record what's there with little or no personal effect in the scene. Think of yourself as an invisible voyeur.
Your presence us only felt in the image because you recorded it.

The Pen is wondeful on the street. Just relax and keep your eyes and mind open.
Your Heart will follow.
Set the camera to No Sleep. Also, lens reset to No.
Put the Fn button to LCD on/off. Then you conserve power.
Pay no attention to the histogram!
You can alter any exposure after the fact but you can't make a miss a hit anyway.
Call me if you have any issues....
Pm for #....shooter

Mu-43 Regular
With the zoomie, keep the camera in S-AF.
It's pointless to set the AF to the AEL button with a zoom so keep it at the shutter.

I apologize, but i did not understand this part.

Let me tell you what I understood. Since its a zoom lens. Keep it in 14 mm and S-AF.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Not really.... The advantage of a zoom lens, (zoomie) is to be able to stay in one place or one perspective, and be able to change your FOV...Field of view.
As you change focal lengths on the zoom, the focus shifts slightly,
called focus shift. So keep the AF on the shutter release so it focuses as you change focal length.

Latest threads

Top Bottom