Street photography in Shanghai

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by ilexno3, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ilexno3

ilexno3 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    Lone Star State
    I'm blessed to be able to visit Shanghai, China recently. Along with two film cameras (yes, I still very much love film photography), I planned for this trip to be a test for how reliable my E-P2 is when used in real life situations.

About 400+ shots and ten-days later, after constant use every day for a couple of hours, my E-P2 passed the test with flying colors.

So here I'd like to share a couple.
    NOTE: A quick note on my style, I specialize in B&W photography, not because I do not like colors, but I feel that B&W is more suitable for my purposes. I would say that if shooting film is as convenient as using the E-P2, I will be doing that instead because with real B&W film, grains are beautiful, unlike converted digital noise. Having said that, the E-P2 is up to the task, at least to my standard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are but a small sample of what I took. I have created a photo-book with the rest of the shots that I think is... well, book-worthy :)
    If curious, you can see the preview of the book here.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Will,
    Nice stuff, I will check out all the images when I get to my machine.
    Talk about grain. The new grain generator in LR3 and Silver Efex works great.
    I'll post again later after I view the gallery.
    Don

• Like Like x 4
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Yeah, really nice Will - and the book looks really good, too. I just love those first 5 shots and your introduction is quite lovely. I won't say anymore because I think it's better to let them speak for themselves as people have a chance to view them.

I was never into black and white in my film days, I specialized in color printing but now for some reason I keep turning many of my photos into black and white. I'm not sure why. And no, Don if you are reading this, I have not gotten Silver Effex yet, but will - cross my heart!

These blurb books and the one's by Apple, too, seem like a very good way to go. Thanks for sharing your photos and the preview of your book.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JaoQuinz

JaoQuinz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 4, 2010
    Lovely. I wish I could do the shots you do.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ilexno3

ilexno3 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    Lone Star State
    Don, for scanning purposes, I'd get LR3 eventually, let's see if the noise/grain processor is as improved as they say it is.

But I also print in the darkroom, so film is still an integral part of what I do photographically speaking.

BB, I like Blurb enough to be a repeat customer, are they the best, probably not, but they are sure the most convenient to use and the results are okay. Their customer service is also not bad in handling problems.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ilexno3

ilexno3 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    Lone Star State
    What are you talking about? you do some mean street photography yourself :thumbup:

7. Locster

Locster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2010
    Lovely pics, I like the first and third photos the most. Asian shops seem to always be stocked to the brim with items. Did the camera shop in the first photo say anything about your Pen?

8. ilexno3

ilexno3 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    Lone Star State
    That camera shop is buried inside a famous landmark (an ancient nobleman's house) which unfortunately that day has became a tourist nightmare (7-tour buses with their content :) ). Moral of the story, don't visit a landmark in China on weekends.

The owner (you can barely see him behind the cabinet) looks like someone who has seen too many human beings in his life.

I did get some comments on my Pen in other camera stores though.

9. shoenberg3

shoenberg3 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Great BW conversion
    edit: oh used bw film
    nothing can be better than the real thing:)

10. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Will -- Really nice work. You've shown what that little camera can do in competent hands. Excellent.

11. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    Yea I agree, LR3 is really fabulous