1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Street Photography Heuristics - Eric Kim Blog

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by agentlossing, Jan 28, 2015.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Eric Kim - he's young (and I say this being <just> under 30), has a bit of a contrarian view on photography, but has this perk of being able to focus entirely on the craft at a younger age than probably most everyone else who shoots. I know this results in him putting forth a lot of opinions that aren't agreed with, but I do find him interesting to read.

This post, though, struck me as odd. I think there's some very good thoughts, but some really strange ones too - "Stick to presets" - Huh??? I did, however, like some of the practical traveling tips.

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/...ules-of-thumb-i-believe-in-and-try-to-follow/

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    When you are a serial blogger it is sometimes hard to find something interesting to write about. Then you start writing about anything and throw a "photo" lesson in there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Isn't it weird what freelancing has done to the internet? Even a couple years ago it wasn't as "clickbaitey." Monetizing everything rather than adding value tends to lessen it.

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The real good street photogs I've seen spend less time writing, and more time shooting.

• Like Like x 3
  5. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I wouldn't call that in and of itself a negative indicator - I feel that writing can inform and fuel photography just as photography can writing. That said, I agree that making strong assertions all the time doesn't necessarily equate to thoughtful writing, and may not help one's photography. I feel Eric is some of both.

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    From his blog: I am a big fan and believer of “heuristics” (or rules of thumb)

Heuristics is not rules of thumb: (From Merriam-Webster)

Full Definition of HEURISTIC
    : involving or serving as an aid to learning, discovery, or problem-solving by experimental and especially trial-and-error methods <heuristic techniques> <a heuristic assumption>; also : of or relating to exploratory problem-solving techniques that utilize self-educating techniques (as the evaluation of feedback) to improve performance <a heuristic computer program>

Eric is just a semi-literate pompous twit.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    One can be young and be able to focus on their craft at an early age, but that does not necessarily result in putting forth a lot of opinions that are not agreed with. I could write a very long piece about all of the ill-advised things that he has put forth, but will keep it short and instead quote from an old teacher of mine - "empty buckets make the most noise". I consider him a bad byproduct of the internet. But, YMMV.

--Ken

• Like Like x 2
  8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yeah, I'd tend to agree with you there. I've noticed before when really young folks try to teach and give lots of advice before they can have really learned what they assert. The internet seems to facilitate that kind of temerity rather well...

9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Most of what he's said in that post is fine. However I came across this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkooJv1_wlQ
    After googling, what happened to allamby from digitalrev?

He seems like bit of a tool in that interview.

10. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know about the true worth of this person. Some of his rules of thumb are reasonable and sound logical enough... I often wonder if I should fork over my $$ and take one of these workshops offered by various self styled teachers. I am fairly easily influenced by people who write and opine with authority. I should know better as I have lived long enough now to have seem that many if not all who speak with great confidence and authority are often quite wrong!

Anyway, I admire the energy and work that people put into these blogs and websites. I certainly don't have the tenacity or the creativity to hit those keyboard buttons and produce all the material that goes into these blogs and forums. However, I am not sure that the voluminous amount of articles and opinions are a sign of mastery of the art discussed... But I still think it's admirable that people put the time and effort to to produce this work. I will instead spend some of my time between reading and writing short things like this in social media and forums and as much a possible time shooting with my camera(s). Slowly but surely I see improvement and people seem to like my work. Having said that, I know that I have a long way to go. I only hope I live long enough to get very good at this form of art.

• Like Like x 2
  11. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Not bad, as far as I am concerned, there are some good ideas on that list. The nice things about lists like these is you can go cherry picking; take what you like, and move on.

Funny thing is there are quite a few points on that list that are way older then he is, and still work. 'Stick to presets'. A lesson I learned back in the seventies when handed a Leica for a street shoot for the first time for a study task (should be preceded by 'how to set up your exposure for different situations') . The trick the teacher back then was trying to get across was that one should think before shooting, get exposure and basic idea of what you wanted to get right, and then shoot and stick to dissensions made.

I looked a bit further on his pages, and I like where he goes through other photographers, trying to see what can be learned from them (http://erickimphotography.com/blog/all-posts/).

12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    40. The more a photographer gossips about others, it shows that they’re more insecure

Uh-oh, he's talking about this thread!

• Like Like x 4
  13. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    +1!

14. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    HCB BTW, wasn't a street photographer.

15. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    This ain't gossip, it's analysis! ;)

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Sixty points of twaddle, why did I click that link?

I blame the OP.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I agree totally. Ming Thein is another example of a photographer who shoots lots, publishes lots, and has an active blog. He also writes a lot about the craft, rather than the gear, as does Eric.

I've learned a lot from both of them.

Edit: Although in my opinion, Ming is in a much higher caliber... I still can find things to learn and try from both of them.

18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    My bold added -- I couldn't agree more. After I read his piece, and before I read the comments here, I was thinking that maybe the internet is not all that it's cracked up to be.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Years ago before the internet, he probably would not have had such an audience while he was trying to earn his spurs. I just find him painful to read.

--Ken

20. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Ouch. My ears are burning :p