1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Street-photography cities in Central/Eastern Europe?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickthetasmaniac, Jun 2, 2013.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Im in need of a bit of photographic travel advice :smile:

At the moment it looks like I'll be flying out of either Istanbul or Antalya around the 18/19th of this month. I have loose plans to meet a friend in Innsbruck, Austria around the 22/23rd and I need to be in Helsinki on the 5th of July.

So, I've got about 2.5 weeks to entertain, and I'd like to spent it doing a solid bit of street photography. I'm looking at cities within an overnight bus ride or cheap flight of each other and at the moment it's looking something like this:
    - fly into Munich
    - Innsbruck
    - Budapest
    - Prague
    - Krakow
    - Helsinki

Any thoughts from people who have explored this area? I'm really not one for 'sites' and if it requires a ticket I usually give it a miss, so I'm more interested in cities with character than good museums :2thumbs:

Cheers :smile:

2. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

I am from Czech Republic and I can say, that if you really want to shoot street photography, Prague is a great place, just avoid central areas and famous places, it's full of tourists and everything is kinda "theatrical". To really "smell" the street, visit edge of the city or cities like Brno and I especially reccomend industrial city Ostrava.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I did a round of Central Europe last year if you want to take a look at my Zenfolio folder. I would say Prague was my favorite along with some smaller Czech towns . Vienna was more grand and then imperial in feel but worth a stop too IMO. I was in Munich for Oktoberfest so that kind of skews my recollection :). Some of the smaller medieval German towns might be more interesting but I didn't get to them.

5. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I do not know about the Eastern European cities, as I unfortunately haven't been there my self yet. :-(
    But in case you plan to stay in Munich for a couple of days I can offer to take you around after work. If the rain here finally stops, we could wander around a bit, visit a beer-garden, check out the in-town surf spot and some other Munich sights. I am not very experienced with street photography, though.

6. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    Was just in Prague for the first time (and promised to write up my experience of traveling with the µ4/3 gear for the first time, too!) a bit over two weeks ago and would HIGHLY recommend it for street -shooting, especially if you can a.) tolerate and find ways to work with the MASSES of tourists visiting there right now or b.) can get away to other areas. The Mala Strana was certainly a great place to be ... I'm sure there are other areas you might want to check out — I just didn't have a lot of time outside my conference.

I'd definitely go back for fun!

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Budapest is one of my favorite cities in the world.

Prague is gorgeous, but as mentioned above, it is crazy with tourists - and practically everything charges admission now.

Vienna is gorgeous and fun. You should stay a day or two there, and go over to Bratislava during a day. For two national capitols only 50 km away from each other, they may as well be on different planets.

I have heard Krakow is amazing.

Personally, I would skip Germany and look the other way - Budapest to Venice is 10 hr drive (overnight train) and from there you can do Dbrovnic and Split, Croatia.

Tons of pix at links below