1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Street Photograph

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by oldracer, Apr 3, 2013.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    So I took this picture of a street:

LoRes-1040525.

and I can't figure out if I like it or not. I think I like the colors but I don't like the big empty space in the middle. Comments?

2. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    I can't put my finger on it, but something's making that photo really hard to look at. Like the focus is all wonky or it's distorted oddly or...something. What lens did you use?

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Oly 12/f2 but of course I was shooting close to straight down so there is perspective distortion especially on the far side of the street.

4. smarikoe

smarikoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks really pixelated for some reason. Other than that, I really like it. Don't think the empty space is a problem and it's an interesting perspective.

5. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Wow, I wish my street looked like that. Where is that? I have snow and ice on my street. Can we trade?? :biggrin:

6. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Great angle, colors and concept, but it feels almost lonely. I want something to be happening. Someone making a purchase at one of the bottom tables, people walking toward each other, a group talking, maybe some faces.

7. Something is odd with the resolution as it is displayed here, but the original is fine I'm sure. I get the feeling that if the lens had been wide enough to show at least to the top of the doors on the far side of the street it may work a little better, or maybe if the top of the shot were cropped to the bottom of the doorways. It's an interesting scene but it does seem that if there were more people in the middle it would be even better.

8. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I think part of the problem might be the way the rocks laid in the street transitions sharply and kind of gives as illusion of making it look like two photographs badly merged together. (Not saying that the photo is bad.)

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    You don't know how funny that is. The shot was taken in Bethlehem in early January, a day before a once-in-20-years snowstorm hit. Jerusalem was dead stopped for a whole day and restarted slowly. I'm sure Bethlehem was the same.

Yeah, with 20-20 hindsight I probably should have "worked" the idea harder. The vegetable sellers pretty much define the width of the shot as there was nothing on either side, but I had a 9-18mm and could have tried a vertical format shot at 9mm or so to get more of the other side of the street. Light may have been a problem, though as there was bright sunshine on that side. To get what you see, I knocked down the exposure of a number of areas across the street, those blue doors for example.

FWIW, this is essentially the full frame. Maybe 5% cropped off to clean up the bottom edge. No more.

Re pixelated or resolution issues I dunno. It looks fine on my monitor. Could it be that the fine texture of the cobblestones is making it feel that way?

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    a good viewpoint/perspective... problem is that nothing is happening in the shot... or seems to be happening.... there is no 'story'

K