Street Coffee

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Chill, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Chill

Chill New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2012
    I recently uploaded this photo in the 72 hour contest, but I thought I would repost it here and see if anyone has any feedback. I took this in Colombia on a 2 month backpacking trip through Central and South America - this photo is one of my favourites from the whole trip. The guy in the photo is one of many who walk the streets selling delicious Colombian coffee; not to mention cigarettes and some other little things.

• Like Like x 13

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Awesome, thanks for sharing. Mmmm coffee...
  3. dfreezy

dfreezy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Great capture, love it
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Very nice! It would be interest I g to see this in color - the fans along the wall appear to be pretty colorful. :cool:
  5. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    Very nice image - I like it a lot. As other mentioned color might be nice. Also, you might consider cropping out the dark doorway on the left. To me, that distracts from the impact of the image. Good Job!
  6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I agree about the crop., what an excellent picture though. Shame we don't have people roaming the steets over here, selling coffee like that. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Nice shot. I rather like the door. It helps balance the visual weight and provides context to the scene.
  8. Chill

Chill New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback!

I'll try those edits now and show the results. I think that the fans being so colorful are why they work so well in black and white, you really get a lot of different tones and shades which make it interesting without being distracting. Unfortunately I shot it in B/W and don't have a color version of this exact shot, I do however have a sample shot that I took before changing to B/W. Anyway, I'll post the crop and the color image soon.
  9. Chill

Chill New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2012
    Here is the color:

And here is the crop:

I think the crop makes it less interesting, I like the door on the left, but I also like the fact that with the door the image is a bit further out and therefore not as grainy/zoomed. The OP image was already cropped from the original so more cropping really distorts it.
  10. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Agreed, I like the original version better!
  11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US

Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I like it just the way it is - nice shot.

Also, that just made me crave a cup of coffee even though I already had 3 cups today... I think I might have a problem, haha.
  13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I also like the original version better. The cropped version might have worked better in color. In B&W, the background is just too bland. BTW, nice capture!
  14. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Original, door in, definitely .......