Street camera messenger bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bunguar, Jun 22, 2012.

1. bunguar

bunguar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2012
    Hi guys, got any reccomendation for a street photography camera bag?

here is what i require: resistant against water so the equipment is safe when its raining, need to hold an em-5, 12-50mm pana 20mm, oly 45mm 1.8, 75mm 1.8 and 12mm 2.0 all m43 lenses (that i plan to get) and 2 pockets for acessories. Any advice?
  2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Billingham Hadley. Totally water proof without the need for rain covers and will swallow that lot with ease. Expensive but will last years.
  3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Yes! You're (going to be) carrying too much stuff! :wink:

I have a Domke J-5XB (nylon version of the popular F-5XB). It holds EM5 with 25mm attached, with room for 2 more lenses (for me, 45-175 on one side, oly 45/flash/junk) on the other. 2 outside pockets for wallet/phone.

Might not be big enough for you, but there is also a larger size - J-5XC.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I normally just throw my E-P3 in my daily messenger bag(as in not a camera bag) but I have a Thinktank retrospect 10 that I used for my DSLR gear awhile ago that I love/loved. The Thinktank 10 could fit my Canon t2i with my 17-40mm L attached along with my 50mm 1.4, speedlite, and all my photography odds and ends fairly easily, would be great if you plan to bring your em-5 and all those lenses and probably a bit more. They also make a smaller version which is the retrospect 5 that is made to fit the mirrorless system that might work, although it could be a bit tight with all that glass so you may want to look at the 10 if you go that route. I believe they're made to be water resistant, but they come with a waterproof cover that fits nicely in the bag.
  5. bunguar

bunguar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2012
    It seems the small haley is big enough but the price is a lot, especially because of import taxes, but it does look like a great option, i just have to save for it once i have my 45mm 1.8
  6. bunguar

bunguar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2012
    It is better to be over prepared than under :p
  7. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    I agree, you're going to be carrying way to much stuff! When I go out to shoot on the street, I like to carry as little as possible. Not only will too much stuff slow you down, but it's difficult to maneuver around people and obstacles if you're lugging a great big honking bag. Besides, I really think street shooting is more fun when I set out with a single lens. I have to think about how to get the shot I want, working within the limitations of whatever lens I happen to have mounted. You won't have time to change a lens anyway, if something serendipitously happens in front of you.

That being said, the bag I prefer for street shooting is the Lowepro Exchange Messenger. Lowepro - Exchange Messenger It's as light as a feather, roomy enough for my camera, lunch, a light sweater or jacket, and it provides good protection if I'm caught in the rain.
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I use a Tenba mini-messenger. Has a nifty zip on the flap so you can get to the insides in "stealth" mode.
  9. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I've got a customized Courierware bag on the way, I can post photos early next week.
  10. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    I am also going to recommend the Billingham Hadley. Yes, it is expensive, but totally worth it.
  11. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    Since you said messenger bag, I'm suggesting timbuk2 snoop and crumpler 6MDH 2012 edition that comes with removable straps for tripod.
  12. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    Love my Domke J803. Holds EM5 with 14-42 or 20 attached, 12 and 45 with hoods, 45-200 all in main compartment. Batts & misc in one pocket, fl600 and kit flash in the other. I tweaked it with a shoulder strap from Briggs & Riley. With room for an iPad, it's my daily and domestic travel carry.
  13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    I use the Acme Messenger myself. Should be enough for what you want to carry. Which, as others said, is totally overkill for Street Photography, except if you imply a broader meaning of the term.

On that not, when I go out for general shooting (which I know will include Street but not exclusively), I take the Acme, my :43: camera (E-PL2, now EM-5), usually 3 lenses total, a film camera (Olympus OM-40), plus the usual first aid kit, SD cards, film, etc. The Acme is water-repellent but, naturally, you cannot soak it in water.
  14. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    You should carry what you’re comfortable carrying. (And Domke bags are great.)

I use a bag to organise gear for travelling (planes, trains and automobiles, rather than walking). I think that's because I can’t change lenses fast enough to catch every opportunity anyway.

I try to anticipate the kind of pictures I might be getting on that excursion and take the lens that I hope will work. It seems to work. There's a Japanesse saying: "When you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail." Maybe that's it.

I get it wrong from time to time.
  15. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have two messenger bags I have been using, both with the Crumpler insert: Haven (S)

Most of the time, I use the Domke Reporter's Satchel. It is just big enough to fit my Macbook Air 13 (in a padded sleeve), the Crumpler insert with m4/3 kit and a small bag for cleaning stuff and accessories. I really like it for travel, because I can carry most of my stuff, but it still hugs pretty close to the body.

I have another waterproof biking messenger bag I use when the weather is really looking bad or I am on the bike.
  16. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Timbuktu Snoop or a standard issue Timbuktu with the snoop insert. Been in torrential downpours with the thing. lined with TPU, waterproof through and through. Small might do. I use a standard medium with med insert.

17. bunguar

bunguar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2012
    Well to be fair i want to be able to do a sudden landscape shot as the streets here are quite unique, and there are many unique buildings i have not photographed, walk far enough downtown and you will end at the harbor or a lake or a big garden, the thing is, the streets never stay consistant, i want the flexibility of building shots, wide angle street overview and the choice of 20mm and 45mm depending on how open or closed the streets are, our downtown is EXTREMELY diverse and you cant really rely on 1 lens in some situations, hence 12,20,45 is a good setup and later on a 75 for those hard to reach places.
  18. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    Go for it! You know your own limitations and desires. Personally (I'm in my 60's), it makes my back ache, just thinking about hauling around all of that gear! :smile:
  19. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    I use (for this) the "old" LowePro Stealth Reporter 100 AW. OM-D fits nice with grip attached.
    Maybe not really a messenger style, but waterproof (two rain-cover), and easy to reach interior true a zipper on top. (new version has a waterproof zipper).
    (you only can reach lenses, flash etc, Cam is to big to get out true zipper)

20. bunguar

bunguar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2012
    Well i was used to holding up 3kgs (6.6lbs) in my hand for over an hour and carried 8kg (17.6lbs) around all day on my shoulders, infact did an entire airshow that way which was 4 hours long, so this is going to feel real easy on me compared to that plus lets not forget, micro four thirds is a lot smaller and weighs a lot less than your regular dslr lenses.