1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Street by Night ... share your shots if you have em...

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by tomO2013, Nov 6, 2013.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi Guys,

I enjoy street photography. It is probably my favourite type of shooting.

I've decided to sell my Fuji X system to fund additional lenses for my new EM-1... possibly even pick up the 0.95 voigtlander for the purposes of night shooting.... but my experience with manual focus lens on the Fuji was fairly off putting, so I'm nervous to spend out such a huge chunk of change for a non autofocus on the Oly.

(BTW I do have a background in film originally and used to zone focussing... but the Fuji autofocus lenses that I had didn't have DOF scale on the lens or have split prism for focusing). I'm new to Oly so preferably would prefer to trust autofocus first till I get the hang of it. I love the scale on the side of the 12mm Oly lens.... a big deciding reason to move to the Oly.

So I am considering starting starting with 12mm, 45mm, 17mm in additional to the 12-40 zoom. Possibly also considering the 25mm Panaleica or 17mm Oly (optinions??)

The Oly lens rendering is a big deciding factor for me. I really like the Oly look , colours and the bokeh from the 75mm and LOVE the shots I'm seeing from the 12mm.

Up to and around ISO 1600 I'm aware that there shouldn't really be any real noticeable IQ differences between Fuji and Oly (more a case of which rendering you prefer, which colour interpretation you prefer) even when blown up....

However, beyond that from 3200 onwards, I'm aware that the Oly will introduce some noise. However, from reading the blogs and reviews, my understanding that the pixel pitch of the m/43 compact sensors means that when noise does occur, it is super fine grained and more 'film like' so noise in this sense isn't perceptively bad. Lending itself very well to B&W's.

I would love to see any dusk / night street shots that you would be kind enough to share. Also please share ISO / focal length / Lens / Shutter speed / Aperture!

What I am hoping to get from this is learn (from you guys) is how best to work the pro's of the m/43 format for one of the types of shooting situations that I like shooting most.

Many thanks,

Tom.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi Tom, I just came across this thread while I was thinking to create one...

When I saw this guy, lit from below, I knew this was going to look good as a high-contrast B&W... I kept shooting until I got a shot with his face well-exposed (every time he turned, his face would frequently be very dark or very bright).
    EA081341 painting in the dark 1600x1200.
    E-M1, 58mm f/1.2 Rokkor (prob. wide open), 1/30", ISO640. Lots of adjustments in RawTherapee to get the high-contrast look, but NR completely disabled.

E9161867-HK stoplight building -1080p.
    E-M1, 12-40Pro @12mm f2.8, 1/5" (handheld), ISO 400

68af65351639e672d2fbe93930dba03c.
    E-M1, Oly 17mm @f1.8, 1/30", ISO500

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    This one was severely underexposed due to user error (I was trying to take a picture with the moon and had locked the ISO), so I had to push it a lot in PP:
    Gangster, Downtown Disney, Anaheim:
    E8301316-Tomorrowland Rebels 1000px-3.
    O45mm @f1.8, ISO200, 1/50, +2.65EVin PP.
    I see now that it would look a lot better if I raise the black point, but I'll leave it alone for now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @tomO2013@tomO2013, I see you got an E-M1, so you'll need to post your shots too!

5. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Sorry just seeing this now. Unfortunately I no longer have the EM1 (regret selling it to be honest). However I do still have a huge interest in mu43 community and the platform as a whole. I also have a bunch of shots that I should upload when I get a moment :)

Nice to see you here Barry :)

That EM1 mk ii looks really nice..... as does the XT2!

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  6. KeenanRIVALS

KeenanRIVALS Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 26, 2016
    Detroit
    Keenan
    I have yet to go out at night with my GX8, going to make Friday the first time... I'm honestly afraid that it won't hold up.

7. smartiepants

smartiepants Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2014
    UNITED KINGDOM
  8. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    • Like Like x 7
  9. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    17719328416_3682a5d47c_b_d.
    Oxford Street London
    Iso 1250
    F2.5
    14mm
    Shutter 1/60

• Like Like x 6
  10. KeenanRIVALS

KeenanRIVALS Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 26, 2016
    Detroit
    Keenan
    This is really clean! Was just looking at the 14mm for a street lens... Very tempting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Jim
    I'm pretty sure I put this through Lightroom so it will have had noise reduction applied.
    I'm fairly happy with the lens. It is so light and small it doesn't stand out when taking candid shots. Obviously the 15mm 1.7 would give you a bit extra low light capability but there is the extra cost there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    2016-11-21_12-26-49.
    This one is the 14mm again.
    Iso 200
    1/6th second
    So the famous ibis coming into effect here.
    Luckily at least one person stood still during that length of time.

• Like Like x 4
  13. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    2016-11-21_12-32-21.

Same photo shoot
    14mm
    This time
    Iso 1600 and 1/60th

• Like Like x 4
  14. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    Daylight street photography is for weaklings.

7886945920_1370eefe08_b.
    The Shoe Man
    by Leigh, on Flickr
    E-PM1 w/adapted 25mm f/1.4 CCTV lens
    F/1.4, 1/15th, ISO 1600

I cannot say I find that the quality of noise on M4/3 is any "finer" or less objectionable than any other larger sensor.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    • Like Like x 2
  16. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    eb302664-street-shoes-lv-bw-1080-.494301. Street Shoes

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    OK, now that there's a fair number of shots pitched in, let me offer some thoughts on paper...

The noise performance and quality of the noise on m4/3 sensors really doesn't hold any surprises in my experience. It's superior to smaller sensors and inferior to larger sensors, when you do an apples-to-apples comparison of similar generations of sensor tech. Arguments about how much the difference matters almost inevitably devolves into contorted justification based on rigid platform partisanship, so I really wouldn't waste much mental energy on this. The thing that matters to a night shooter using any format is, "is my camera's high ISO performance acceptable to me?" If the answer is "yes," and there's nothing else out there that would give you better while still offering you all the same other advantages, then move on.

Personally, I push my E-PM1 right up to 1600 without hesitation and I think your EM-1 probably does better, so don't be shy. A night street shooter who is afraid of a bit of graininess isn't a real night street shooter IMHO.

You'll notice that among the shots posted here that the lenses are all over the place from some of the Olympus models you mention, to Panasonics to adapted lenses. One of the benefits of the m4/3 format is that lack of need for lens loyalty, so no matter how much you think you love Olympus rendering, I wouldn't plonk all your cash down in one shot for a triad of Olympus primes. Go in slower and you might be surprised how appealing el cheapos like the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 or even no-name CCTV lenses can be.

Far as special strengths in night shooting... others may disagree, but I don't find anything particularly special about m4/3 when it comes to night shooting that doesn't also apply to day shooting. For street, a small, unobtrusive camera is good, but that's day and night. I suppose one might argue that the EVF makes it easier to compose in the dark, but I've personally never felt great liberation in this regard. Auto ISO is great, but honestly I find Olympus auto ISO much less flexible than Nikon auto ISO, so that's not a special advantage.

My basic policy for night shooting is to set auto ISO with the max ISO I'm willing to use, use aperture priority and mind where my shutter speed goes. If per chance, the light level allows me to stop down a little and still get a workable shutter speed, I might. If its so dark that my shutter speed is going into the toilet even if I'm wide open, I decide if I want to work with motion blur or not.