Strategies for Minimizing Battery Drain in the EM-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tbr48, Mar 23, 2013.

1. tbr48

tbr48 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    I am a new EM-5 owner having come from a Nikon D7000. I like the EM-5 very much and find that I carry it around a lot more due to its convenient size and low weight. I also find it very convenient to carry the camera around using a neck strap. When doing so the back of the camera hangs against my chest and in that position I was worried that the EVF would stay on and drain the battery. So to minimize this possibility, I set the EVF Auto Switch to Off, set the display to the EVF, and the sleep timer to 1 min. Now after 1 min the EVF turns off when the camera goes to sleep, and won't turn on again until I half press the shutter button and wake up the camera. Although this works fine, is it the best strategy to minimize battery drain short of turing off the camera? If not, I would be interested in hearing what others may be doing to address this. Also, does the EVF use less power than the screen?
  2. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't bother switching off the auto EVF unless I'm shooting at my waist with the LCD.Like you, I set my sleep timer to one minute and that's it.No drain.I always carry a spare battery but I can usually shoot away for hours without switching.Not like your DSLR, but adequate.Don't know which screen uses less power.
  3. sugarbaker

sugarbaker Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    I use only the EVF... and it turns off when not held to my eye. With the rear display off (other than when I need the menu, or to review a shot) and only using the EVF, I've had the battery last the better part of a day. I also carry a fully charged spare. Furthermore, I tend to use a bunch of manual lenses. I don't know if this saves battery life, but I suspect the fact that the camera is not putting out power to focus and adjust aperture for every shot may have some benefit.

For rare times that I shoot from the hip, or need to use the rear display, I just hit the EVF button that flips the displays.
  4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    I just press the little button to switch ? Hate most auto things
    Also have preview turned off
    Use the evf about twice to three times as much as the rear screen but love waist level shooting with the rear screen and touch shutter function :)
    Usually get north of 700 often to 900 shots on a battery
  5. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Sugarbaker - are you SURE the EVF turns off AND the LCD is off? I know it can turn off with the auto-standby mode but I use the EVF almost exclusively and it's always on. The eye-level sensor, when enabled (I'm not using it) always turns on the rear LCD when I take my eye off the camera. I use the button to switch to/from EVF in the rare cases when I use the LCD.

There was an article at some point on Steve Huff's website (I think) that claimed this was possible i.e. eye-level sensor without rear LCD, but I could never figure out how to achieve that, I went through all the settings more than once... am I missing something?

But in reply to the OP's question - use the LCD as little as possible, don't keep it in AF longer than needed (half-press or whatever focusing button) to minimise the Image Stabiliser run time and disable auto-preview. Tempted to say turn the camera off when not needed and that's what I do, but although I haven't tested it, I've seen opinions that because the camera runs the sensor clean when powered on, it's better to let it go into standby instead. I suppose you need to find a balance between standby and power-off depending on how long you plan to carry the camera between taking shots.
  6. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Enable the eye-sensor. Then press the manual EVF switch (on the side of the EVF) to force selection of the EVF. Both the LCD and EVF will be off. Bring the camera to your eye the EVF will turn on. LCD never comes on. At least that's how my E-M5 is working right now.
  7. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I use evf only and switch to lcd when I need to using the side button. Also, unless I'm on a mission to shoot, I turn off the camera and thumb it back on when bringing it up to my eye when I need to.
  8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Ha! I got there eventually. My issue was that any time I took my eyes off the EVF the LCD would come on, and when I press the evf button on the side of the EVF I would get the super control panel on the LCD instead. Turns out I have to then press Info, then the LCD goes off. Thanks - I wouldn't have looked into this again :thumbup: